..anna..
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is this campus any good?
Loooove the look of the biology course (conservation and ecology) and i was just wondering if the students feel that the campus is too "in the middle of no-where"
All comments appreciated!!!!
Thank you
[I]
I.G.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi

I am a first year studying Conservation biology and ecology (we had a slight name change) at UEC.

Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay, I have dealt with general issues first then talked about the course.

The campus opened this year, so everything is new and purpose built. As part of the funding we have a green transport plan which means we have free bus travel between the campus and Falmouth. The student bar has already seen gigs being played by several local bands as well as Thirteen Senses, Jack Johnson and Hundred Reasons, with more big names planned.

Accommodation is great – I share a flat with six others (7 in total), all bedrooms have en suite bathroom and double bed. Tv and internet access is available from each bedroom.

While campus appears to be in middle of nowhere looking at the map in the prospectus, we are in walking distance of Penryn, which boasts 5 pubs, a train station, a number of small shops as well as an Asda superstore. Falmouth (a bus ride away) has all the average high street shops, numerous pubs, and three night clubs, as well a number of beaches. Falmouth also has a busy live music scene.

So it does not feel like the middle of nowhere.

The course is very practical based, during the first year I have had about 15 field trips. In the first year these are all day trips around the Cornwall and Devon. During the second year field trips become residential taking us to Scotland, Isles of Scilly, East Anglia, Dartmoor (again), and finally Cyprus. The third year field trips include two weeks on safari in Kenya.

If that isn’t enough there are opportunities to spend the summer holidays out in Cyprus with the sea turtle conservation group (two of our academics carry out research with them) – seaturtle.org

If you want to know anymore we have two open days 20th June 2005 and 15th October 2005.

Hope that helps

IGS
chris_j_nash
Badges: 0
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi,

What Ian said pretty much sums it up.

Pros:
>Brand new labs (not that ul use them much on this course (loadsa field work).
>Great halls accomodation.
>Beaches!
>Small study group sizes.
> Brilliant field trips (Kenya was amazing! Bring lots of camera film!)

Cons:
>All depends on your taste. If you like ur clubbing and big arena events, then in truth cornwall probably isn't going to be for you, but if you're at all like me, then chatting away in a pub with a good band in the background will suite u fine!
> Sometimes it rains? (I dunno, there really aren't that many cons)

K. Well good luck,

Chris :rolleyes:
kazwell
?
Report 16 years ago
thought id post a follow up...as I seem to have a slightly differant opinion on Tremough, Iv studied there this year on the English course and im now transferring to the Exeter campus. reasons for this...
the campus is..somewhat unorganised. The rooms are great, having ensuite was a total bonus.
The "5" great pubs in Penryn are mostley scary 'local only' pubs, id only actually count one you can go into and not be stared at like youve got rabies.

Th green campus rule makes it extremely difficult to travel without having to catch a bus that takes 30 mins to travel 7 miles. Amusingly, a cleaner told me the other morning "not to bother" recycling.
We have had some great music at the bar, but the bar itself is a badly decorated 'warehouse' with a manky stained concrete floor.
The 2 existing clubs in Falmouth are okay. but dont expect your usual clubbing experiance. its more of a cattle market.

Tremough has been a cool experiance though, and Id recommend it if you want to go University but dont want the full experiance. its still teething obviously. but its tedious.
If you have the choice of Streatham or Tremough, id consider it carefully.

oh..and if you go, expect to meet some of the most irritating egotistical t***s who call themselves CSM.
gss201
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi

I am a geographer at UEC, and think it is the best uni ever!!! It is a new campus and does have a few teething problems, but these are being ironed out. I think it would be unfair to slander the uni for its first year. It is getting better and most students did expect a few teething problems at the start of the year - be unrealistic not to really.

As for the english course - i cannot comment - but yes the ability to transfer between streatham and tremough is a great feature of any UEC degree.

The pubs in penryn are brilliant, dont expect a metropolitan pub - it is a close knit community. Going into the pub with the attitude that so many students exhibit - one of i am so much better educated than you and come from a much wealthier background - does seem to rub peoples backs up - and so it should really

I personally have not had any problems with any of the local pubs, in particular the one closest to campus which i can heartily recomend

CSM - "..and if you go, expect to meet some of the most irritating egotistical t***s who call themselves CSM" - Kazwell.

CSM have a long history dating back many years, this includes a formidable reputation as one the best school of mines in the world. The students of CSM are very proud of this heritage, and many have transferred from the old camborne campus - so are already a close knit group of friends- so can appear as being irritating if you lack the personal skills to communicate with people who are not on the same course as you.

Graham
I.G.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am sorry to hear that Kazwell has not enjoyed her year at Tremough.

I quite agree with all that Graham and Chris have written, and would like to add that Kazwell seems to have approached the year with a some what unrealsitic expectations.

I fear that Kazwell will be not much happier at Streatham unless her attitude improves and she stops expecting things to be perfect - Life is what you make it to be.

I.G.S.
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its not her fault if she didn't like the place too much though; its all about personal preference and usually you have to experience the place to know. At least she's made the effort to do something about it and transfer. Perhaps she had a bad experience with some CSM people who were complete jerks.
Kazwell, if you have any questions about the campus here or English dept (I'm first year English too) feel free to ask.
kazwell
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
Its not her fault if she didn't like the place too much though; its all about personal preference and usually you have to experience the place to know. At least she's made the effort to do something about it and transfer. Perhaps she had a bad experience with some CSM people who were complete jerks.
Kazwell, if you have any questions about the campus here or English dept (I'm first year English too) feel free to ask.
yeah a few questions!! like where do we pick essays up from..wer r the rooms n stuff next year?

as for the attitude comment...haha. i have dozens of friends at tremough, my attitude is that of wanting a better university experiance. which is fully understandable as tremough doesnt have this.
perhaps it only has it for lame people that like staying in and doing nothing.
as im originally from exeter im quite aware of the differance between campuses.

its not easy to transfer campuses. i feel i shud point that out. as far as english courses go, the exeter streatham course requires AAA, grades that are easy to get. while the tremough offer is CCC. a huge differance. its through my ability. and not my place at tremough that i have been able to transfer.

the pubs in penryn ARE good. i never said they wernt. but i know local people. and students arent welcome most of the time. even if its never said to thier face.

finally.. the CSM comment was made about a few irritating individuals iv met. and didnt count for csm as a whole. more so.. it was aimed at a man who worringly calls himself 'manho'

im completely entitled to my opinion. the campus transfer was the best decision iv ever made. if tremough works for people thats great. i simply put my opinion forward for consideration

thanks for offer to help evil muffin, hope we can chat bout stuff soon!

kaz x.
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kazwell)
yeah a few questions!! like where do we pick essays up from..wer r the rooms n stuff next year?

as for the attitude comment...haha. i have dozens of friends at tremough, my attitude is that of wanting a better university experiance. which is fully understandable as tremough doesnt have this.
perhaps it only has it for lame people that like staying in and doing nothing.
as im originally from exeter im quite aware of the differance between campuses.

its not easy to transfer campuses. i feel i shud point that out. as far as english courses go, the exeter streatham course requires AAA, grades that are easy to get. while the tremough offer is CCC. a huge differance. its through my ability. and not my place at tremough that i have been able to transfer.

the pubs in penryn ARE good. i never said they wernt. but i know local people. and students arent welcome most of the time. even if its never said to thier face.

finally.. the CSM comment was made about a few irritating individuals iv met. and didnt count for csm as a whole. more so.. it was aimed at a man who worringly calls himself 'manho'

im completely entitled to my opinion. the campus transfer was the best decision iv ever made. if tremough works for people thats great. i simply put my opinion forward for consideration

thanks for offer to help evil muffin, hope we can chat bout stuff soon!

kaz x.
Depends what modules you take, but 2nd and 3rd years have their seminars and probably lectures in the Queen's building, which is where the English department is. You pick up your essays from rm214 in the English corridor which is on the 2nd floor. Do you know what modules you're taking and where you'll be living?
kazwell
?
Report 16 years ago
I think julia is still trying to fit me in on some modules. i shud be doing american literature, shakespeare, post-modernism and 18cent literature, i havent found anywhere to live yet! thats tomorros job
gss201
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sorry to hear it didn't work out for you down here. Hope all goes well in Streatham for you.

Graham
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kazwell)
I think julia is still trying to fit me in on some modules. i shud be doing american literature, shakespeare, post-modernism and 18cent literature, i havent found anywhere to live yet! thats tomorros job
Sound like good modules. If you opt for campus accommodation, its quite possible they'll stick you in lafrowda. If you go to http://xnet.ex.ac.uk/forums/ there's a bit where people advertise spare rooms in houses, etc
..anna..
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the nice advice guys!!
I'm not used to a hectic social life as i'm from a small sea side town in wales so it will probably be a step up for me!
The course sounds very good i just hope that i can get on it with my a-levels (geog, biol, psychology). Theres a similar course in Reading which im also considering as easier access to me etc, but the thought of a huge town does scare me a bit.. what do you think?
Thanks Again!!
Annax
I.G.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi anna,

If you get the chance visit Reading and Tremough and then decide.

You should be fine with that mix of A-levels, although if concerned you can email a member of staff (email addresses are on the biology page of the UEC prospectus).

Hope that helps

Ian
..anna..
Rep:
?
emailed a week ago with no reply!! will try again i think.. I would take chemistry but the teachers in my school are not very good and don't get very good grades, theyre also jerks.. making sexist jokes all the time which i don't want to listen to unless abseloutely neccessary!!
Thanks again for all your help!!
Anna
I.G.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi Anna

I am sorry to hear that you haven't yet had a reply. A number of the teaching staff are using the summer holiday as an opportunity to carry out research, often field based and so they are unable to reply to emails immediately. (Don’t worry they are not avoiding your question).

There are contact details for two members of staff given on the biology pages - have you emailed both of them (if not it is worth a try).

Hope that helps

Ian

Ps If you are still not getting anywhere give me a shout and I will email other members of staff for you.
..anna..
Rep:
?
Good news... They emailed back and no need for chemistry!!
If i get accepted ill hopefully see you at the open day in October!!!
I.G.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Glad to hear someone got back to you.

See you at the open day!

Ian
..anna..
Rep:
?
Any advice on personal statement?? finding it hard to write lots about myself!!! ARGH... schools making us do them now ready for september..
Help please!!
Thanks
I.G.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I seem to have lost my personal statement - will send it to you if i find it.

I have listed a few pointers:

Make yourself sound interesting - admissions tutors have to read numerous personal statements, if yours stands out (for the right reasons) you are more likely to get an offer.

Detail anything that you have done that is relevant to the courses you are applying for. This maybe a particular organisation / project that you have worked for, or your passion for a certain area of the subject.

Get friends, family and teachers, to read it through for you, they will be able to give you advice on how it reads etc.

Have a look in on the personal statement board of TSR and search the internet. The following site might be helpful - http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/s...lstatement.asp.

Hope that helps (and makes sense)

Ian

Ps sorry if you have heard all of the above from school. If you get really stuck I am happy to read it through for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads