This discussion is closed.
icarusgideon
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi i just applied to Cambridge to study medicine. But I am sort of apprehensive about the place now.
The thing is that I am sorta unsure whether I will 'fit in' with them. Cuz these people are all public school going very very rich people. With no disrespect to public school goers', who of most are just normal easy going people. But the arrogant ones tend to choose oxbridge. And yes I know not all oxbridge students are arrogant.
Ok I'll tell you.....its just the money-thing although I am not poor I am exactly rich either, so I wont be able to party and fit in with them will I.....
I chose the place because of the scientific course which they offer and not because of reputation or whatever.

So what should I do........is it as bad as I think it is..........just wondering if there are any people oout there who can reassure me sorta........

p.s. if offered a place I would probably accept it.....I think .....or actually.....wait I am not sure.......but.......and.......s o...... .wooah..
I think I am going mad..............aaaaaaghhhh.... help
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icarusgideon)
Hi i just applied to Cambridge to study medicine. But I am sort of apprehensive about the place now.
The thing is that I am sorta unsure whether I will 'fit in' with them. Cuz these people are all public school going very very rich people. With no disrespect to public school goers', who of most are just normal easy going people. But the arrogant ones tend to choose oxbridge. And yes I know not all oxbridge students are arrogant.
Ok I'll tell you.....its just the money-thing although I am not poor I am exactly rich either, so I wont be able to party and fit in with them will I.....
I chose the place because of the scientific course which they offer and not because of reputation or whatever.

So what should I do........is it as bad as I think it is..........just wondering if there are any people oout there who can reassure me sorta........

p.s. if offered a place I would probably accept it.....I think .....or actually.....wait I am not sure.......but.......and.......s o...... .wooah..
I think I am going mad..............aaaaaaghhhh.... help
For what it's worth, I went to a public boarding school and none of the arrogant people have gone on to Oxbridge. Some of the nicest people I've ever known went there.
icarusgideon
(Original post by Tednol)
For what it's worth, I went to a public boarding school and none of the arrogant people have gone on to Oxbridge. Some of the nicest people I've ever known went there.

that is exactly the kinda thing I was trying to avoid. I mean its not as if I am trying to say that 'everyone' who comes from public schools and goes to oxbridge is an arrogant p***k but there are quite a few and its just that I am not sure whether I would be able to cope with having spend 6 years with such empty headed **** heads
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
that is exactly the kinda thing I was trying to avoid. I mean its not as if I am trying to say that 'everyone' who comes from public schools and goes to oxbridge is an arrogant p***k but there are quite a few and its just that I am not sure whether I would be able to cope with having spend 6 years with such empty headed **** heads
'Empty headed **** heads' will be in a huge minority regardless of anything else. They tend to stick together anyway. I wouldn't worry you'll meet plenty of very normal very nice people, and whether they went to public school or not will soon become irrelevent.

I'm at Manchester, and yes there are pretentious ass holes who went to public schools. But equally there are some tossers who were state educated. But they are out numbered by really decent people.
icarusgideon
(Original post by Tednol)
'Empty headed **** heads' will be in a huge minority regardless of anything else. They tend to stick together anyway. I wouldn't worry you'll meet plenty of very normal very nice people, and whether they went to public school or not will soon become irrelevent.

I'm at Manchester, and yes there are pretentious ass holes who went to public schools. But equally there are some tossers who were state educated. But they are out numbered by really decent people.

LOL....CHEERS.....I suppose there everywhere huhhh.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
LOL....CHEERS.....I suppose there everywhere huhhh.
Don't for one moment let any preconceptions about public school educated people alter where you go to university because it's not worth it! Good luck.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Biology Teacher said this morning that doing medicine [and become a doctor] in university is a waste of good brains.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Biology Teacher said this morning that doing medicine [and become a doctor] in university is a waste of good brains.
if i was interested in biology (im not, im interested in physics), id want to do research not become a doctor.
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
if i was interested in biology (im not, im interested in physics), id want to do research not become a doctor.
There's a lot more prestige in medicine, though.
hotnanoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
exactly how i feel about law wel apart form the fact i wanto to be a part time barrister
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
There's a lot more prestige in medicine, though.
yeah there is, but I'd much rather be in a job i enjoyed, then one that looked good on my CV.

lou xxx
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hotnanoo)
exactly how i feel about law wel apart form the fact i wanto to be a part time barrister
you want to do research in law? :confused:
hotnanoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
you want to do research in law? :confused:
yeah i know many people find it weird but on international issues like human rights and the difference between laws ie in different countries with different cultures, because law is based on society and therefore is (if its good) a reflection of it
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I don't biology, because the Chemistry teacher said that biology in A'level is too silly...
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hotnanoo)
yeah i know many people find it weird but on international issues like human rights and the difference between laws ie in different countries with different cultures, because law is based on society and therefore is (if its good) a reflection of it
hmmm thats not really research as in making discoveries, just documenting the differences. but i spose its still research.
not1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
I don't biology, because the Chemistry teacher said that biology in A'level is too silly...
meh, if the PE teacher told you maths was pointless would you listen to him?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (228)
51.35%
No (216)
48.65%

Watched Threads