Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to do a piece of original writing for my english coursework.
    Has anyone got any tips on how to write better and possibly obtain a grade A?
    Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Thanks all.
    Write a lot seems to be the answer my friend proposed back in GCSE. However, I only wrote 4 or 5 pieces of poetry and got an A in creative writing.

I don't do English anymore, but it seems to be a good idea to read short stories and poems. And do plenty of writing in spare time. Matter of fact, I still write. A lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Thanks all.
    Sounds trivial, but things like checking grammar, spelling, punctuation* make all the difference - if its easy to read, you'll likely get a better grade even if the content is no different.

Also, try not to rely too heavily on a thesaurus for extra words - lots of words listed in a single entry often have different nuances to the word you are trying to replace, or are used in different ways. I have come across some weird sentances before...

I always find it easier to edit and add to what I've written than to come up with something from scratch, so I would suggest planning your piece before you start writing it up. I found it helped me to think of a single idea, and gradually expand on it and add layers.

*especially conversations!

ReputationRep:
    my eng teacher usually gives us a sheet which tells u how 2 achieve those grades in that essay

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the good advice.

I know what you mean with the thesaurus, it's just a matter of knowing which is the correct word to use for that particular sentence.

ReputationRep:
    this wont really be of much help to you, but achieving a decent grade in original writing isn't hard at all. I have no idea how the award grades but i got an A for my original writing and i'm fairly naff at english language.

My tip would be to make sure you write a good commentary using as many linguistic terms as you can manage whilst keeping it relevant to your text. Also, make sure to put in a few draft versions.

ReputationRep:
    think of a storyline, plan it out, plan out any characters you may have and prepare in general.

then when you are sorted, begin to write.

use lots of description and devices (eg alliteration, similies - teachers love that stuff)

check spelling and punctuation

use a good and original title

make sure the thing you are writing about means something to you, like theres no point in writing about a woman thrown in prison for protesting animal rights if you think women are stupid and animals deserve to die, etc.

get other people to read and evaluate it for you before handing it in so you can alter and improve

read as many stories as you can for inspiration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looci)
    think of a storyline, plan it out, plan out any characters you may have and prepare in general.

then when you are sorted, begin to write.

use lots of description and devices (eg alliteration, similies - teachers love that stuff)

check spelling and punctuation

use a good and original title

make sure the thing you are writing about means something to you, like theres no point in writing about a woman thrown in prison for protesting animal rights if you think women are stupid and animals deserve to die, etc.

get other people to read and evaluate it for you before handing it in so you can alter and improve

read as many stories as you can for inspiration
    Thank you!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.