Turn on thread page Beta

How to stand out (for uni applications) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am doing my AS Levels now. I am hoping to get into one of the top medical schools in the country but I am not involved in any extra curricular activities (yet!) nor have I done DOE. What can I do to stand out from the crowd?? Also, what type of work experience would you recommend?? I am also studying French and Spanish...is there anything I can do with them to help me with my application??

Thanks for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wigman15)
    what As levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary work.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing French, Spanish, Biology and Chemistry.

What should I do for voluntary work?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am doing French, Spanish, Biology and Chemistry.

What should I do for voluntary work?

Thanks
    work in a hospital

ReputationRep:
    I have worked in a hospital for my work experience in the biochemistry lab. However, I do not know how to get in contact with them....do I just send them a letter saying I would like some work experience?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am doing my AS Levels now. I am hoping to get into one of the top medical schools in the country but I am not involved in any extra curricular activities (yet!) nor have I done DOE. What can I do to stand out from the crowd?? Also, what type of work experience would you recommend?? I am also studying French and Spanish...is there anything I can do with them to help me with my application??

Thanks for your help!!
    why not start something like d of e... you've got a whole year to do stuff for your UCAS. do you play any musical instruments? start a new sport (i put salsa dancing on my form and i only started last month)... it's never too late! as for voluntary work... there's tonnes of things you can do. look in your college/school if there's any signs looking for people (a lot of my friends did a playscheme that way). help in a local school reading with kids, in a hospital, hospice... for medcine the more different things you do, the better.

have you done any medlink things? i don't really know anything about it, but all medics i kno have done it...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

I am playing the Piano (will be sitting my grade 3 next month!).

As for DOE...if I start this/next year, I will achieve a Bronze...Is this worth it?

I do play sports, but I am not in the school team.

I will check at my school for voluntary work.

I will be attending the Medlink course this year as well.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get into any med school you NEED healthcare related work experience - preferably a lot more than two weeks! They like to see long term commitments - like an hour or two a week for a year or so.

Competition is so great (and everyone who is applying has good grades so that wont make you stand out) you need as much work experience as possible.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad's friend has his own surgery. Is it better to work there or at a hospital?

Also, is there anything I can do with my languages?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

I am playing the Piano (will be sitting my grade 3 next month!).

As for DOE...if I start this/next year, I will achieve a Bronze...Is this worth it?

I do play sports, but I am not in the school team.

I will check at my school for voluntary work.

I will be attending the Medlink course this year as well.
    It is possible to do DOE gold in one year, that's how my school does it. If you're school doesn't, there may be other ways of doing it?

ReputationRep:
    How do you do gold in a year? Do you skip bronze and silver??

Also, what does Gold involve doing?

ReputationRep:
    ...As for DOE...if I start this/next year, I will achieve a Bronze...Is this worth it?

I do play sports, but I am not in the school team...
    d of e- yep, you're still doing something... a little is better than nothing + if you comment on how you'd like to continue with it at uni (you don't hav 2 finish until you're 25).

sports- you're still doing something, i'm quite a sporty person, but i'm not on any college teams and i still had tonnes to put on my UCAS form.

(Original post by NikNak)
    If you want to get into any med school you NEED healthcare related work experience - preferably a lot more than two weeks! They like to see long term commitments - like an hour or two a week for a year or so.
    totally agree, my ex-bf ended up on a playscheme for disabled children every saturday morning for over 2 years now (he's only just applied)... and he's done work experience at just about everywhere tht will have him for at least 2 weeks (never date a medic- they're never around!)

My Dad's friend has his own surgery. Is it better to work there or at a hospital?

Also, is there anything I can do with my languages?
    do both! get as much different experience as possible.

is there anyway you can do an exchange with a foreign pupil- ask your language teachers.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    How do you do gold in a year? Do you skip bronze and silver??

Also, what does Gold involve doing?
    May be two years, but you do skip bronze and silver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    May be two years, but you do skip bronze and silver.
    you have to do more preparation for your expedition (extra practice nights). i think you also have to do longer for your service, skill and physical. i think the quickest you can do it is 18 months if you don't have bronze and silver. we got told that unis aren't bothered whether you have completed it, or are still doing it- there still think it's good.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ther is only one way to stand out of a crowd when it comes to UCAS forms:

pink gel ink pen

It helps if its one of those scented ones.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.