Staying up the whole night before an exam or sleep? Watch

G O D I V A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Time just flew by so quick and I definitely wasn't having fun. Many exams coming this first week and I am definitely not prepared.

Say you had an exam the next day (morning at 8:00) and you had not revised everything, but staying awake the whole night and studying for 12 hours would get you more prepared and allow you to revise/finish everything.

Or you could sleep.

Which one?
d.v
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Better go to sleep..

Its ur fault that u dint study or revise it earlier..
Azer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sleep.

According to 'Brain Rules' by neuroscientist John J. Medina, staying up the whole night leads to a roughly 30% decrease in brain function. That doesn't sound conducive to writing an exam.

Do as much learning as you can while getting your 8 hours of sleep.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Done both. Neither work well. So you're just ******. But if i were you i'd revise for like 4 hours, then sleep for 8.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Revise a fair bit, but not all night. If you've left it too late, it's your own fault. Try and cover as much content as possible, especially the areas you know you're not so sure on.

If you revise like mad, you won't be able to think the next day, especially with the lack of sleep.
If you go straight to sleep and don't revise, then you're not going to have the knowledge.

Ultimately, if you know you haven't revised at all and you needed to, then it's probably not going to make the most significant of differences, as the bad choice has already been made; this choice is only minor in comparison.
loveisjustasong
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would sleep for sure. cramming never works with me.
whamjam
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what subject is it?
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try to get some kip
jaz_jaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i would stay up the whole night and revise...have some caffeine in morning?
G O D I V A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by whamjam)
what subject is it?
Basically english and maths. My other 4 I'm better off, but for english P1 I got no idea what to do so definitely not prepared and maths I could do with more time
<liverpoolfc>
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the best thing you should do is try to sleep much earlier than usual..then get up really early and do 2-3 hours of revision before the exam?
Sam...
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cram as much revision in as you can, then sleep... but before you sleep lie there and think about the stuff you just revised so it stays in your memory.

Works for me
Wild_Precious_Life
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For many exams I sat I was already doomed to fail, so sleeping in order to "retain" what I already apparently knew was futile, seeing as I knew nothing. The all-nighters I did made the difference between passing and failing, although on the other hand my friend crashed in the exam and couldn't function at all.

If you feel like the exam is a lost cause anyway i.e. you have done NO revision for it, I don't see how sleeping is going to help. If you've done quite a bit of work for it, get a few hours sleep and wake up early. Good luck!
keekee107
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally I'd stay awake all night and revise... Done it plenty of times before. It's how I managed to pass my first semester at university. (also how I managed to get so exhausted, I got ill... but that was temporary!) What I'd do to lessen the impact on your functioning is slowly turn my sleeping patterns into really late nights/early mornings. For example, over the week before I pulled the all nighters I adapted my routine of sleep to going to bed at 6am, 7am and then 8am... and getting up at 4pm eventually. Then when it got to my exams - with the help of some caffeine it actually didn't feel all that weird to be awake and functioning.

People who say you can't learn anything past 9pm the day before are liars.
Rainfaery
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sleep.

If I stayed up all night studying, I wouldn't be able to stay awake for my exam.
fox_amro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What. why would anyone sleep? if you know nothing sleeping will surely not help at all but maybe an all nighter could help a bit and maybe pass.
eastisred
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sleep and hope for the best! Like someone mentioned earlier, its your fault that you didn't cover everything you need to revise. You'll just end up slugging even more by the time you start the exam. Good luck with the english paper everyone!
jc_bach
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fox_amro)
What. why would anyone sleep? if you know nothing sleeping will surely not help at all but maybe an all nighter could help a bit and maybe pass.
lol how would you know nothing of ur course after 2 years of study and the study leave for you to study. Even you cram everything the last night, you wont get much outta it. so the best solution is sleep.
running from demons
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's not really that much you can do at this stage for English paper 1 other than looking through some past papers and markschemes to get an idea of the structure. Being half asleep will harm your ability to write and think clearly much more than trying to write essays all night would help. As for maths, you've still got time to get a bunch of papers done, so there's no need to panic yet.
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on the subject. For english p1 I prefer a full night's sleep, but most other exams I'll probably revise until 3am then sleep til 7, get up and sit the exam. Suits me best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (441)
26.41%
The paper was reasonable (722)
43.23%
Not feeling great about that exam (331)
19.82%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
10.54%

Watched Threads