The Student Room Group

God damn airbag warning light

Yeah, I've made like 3 threads of this by now.

Anyway, got my car serviced on friday and had them scan my ECU. However guess what, No code!

Friend at work also has his own code reader. No code!And cleared the ECU just incase. Still flashing.

Disconnected the battery for 1 hour to reset the ECU. Still flashing!

What the hell? Please tell me someone has a clue.

Car K11 nissan micra, 02 reg. NI import.

:sad: Stupid warning light :sad:
Reply 1
Personally I would hoick out the LED.

But electrics have never been something I've had the time or the understanding for.
Did they scan the airbag ECU because it works on a different system to the engine ECU.

Engine ECU can be fine with no error codes but the airbag ECU/power steering ECU/ABS ECU etc etc can be riddled with codes.
Reply 3
or the airbag could be broken...just a thought there..
Taken off a Micra forum

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again

I do though seem to remember reading something about another method involving the door interior light switch...after searching the only thing i could find is this :

what i did is open door turn to on postion press interior light button on door 5 times within 7 secs switch the engine on turn engine off shut door turn engine to on till light goes out hope it works did for me after 3 attempts
I take it you've checked the airbag connector under the seat? I haven't read your other threads but a lot of the time, especially on three door cars, this connector comes a little bit loose. I'm not sure what colour it'd be on your car, sorry.

It might also be worth checking the contacts on said connector and it would probably be better to do this with the battery disconnected.

The following was said on the Nissan Forums as well. I'd take it with a pinch of salt, but apparently it worked for them:
Here's the process to reset the air bag light (copied from somewhere else on the forum)... I tried it and it works.

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.
Reply 6
This just worked for me, thank you. Instead of off it should say position 1.

The following was said on the Nissan Forums as well. I'd take it with a pinch of salt, but apparently it worked for them

Here's the process to reset the air bag light (copied from somewhere else on the forum)... I tried it and it works.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.
Reply 7
Alcarp
This just worked for me, thank you. Instead of off it should say position 1.

Thank you for taking the time to register and acknowledge these steps work and also to provide corrections. I wish more people would do this when they find solutions that work for them - it has a massive impact on Google rankings etc and probably benefits more people than you realise.
Reply 8
Nothing to worry about, airbags do more damage than they prevent, I disconnect them.

My dads car has had a similar problem since he owned it, no garage knows why.
Original post by Megaross
Nothing to worry about, airbags do more damage than they prevent, I disconnect them.

care to provide the evidence to back this assertion up ?
Reply 10
Original post by zippyRN
care to provide the evidence to back this assertion up ?

I know a guy who has permanent spinal damage because of an airbag.

Plus I imagine a guy of my height it'd just push my head up and back whilst hitting me in the chest very hard.
(edited 12 years ago)
Megaross, the plural of anecdote is not evidence ...

an Airbag is to stop your head from hitting the windscreen and to stop the steering wheel from breaking your ribs, causing cardiac contusions and lacerating your liver and spleen

if your seat and head restraint are correctly adjusted and you wear your seatbelt properly an Airbag will reduce injuries. the majority of documented injuries from airbags are minor skin irritations from either the packing powder or the azide gas generator dust , there are also some documented injuries from crossing your arms rather than steering correctly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12

I know a guy who has permanent spinal damage because of an airbag.

Plus I imagine a guy of my height it'd just push my head up and back whilst hitting me in the chest very hard.

An airbag will be deflating by the time you hit it, if you hit the airbag hard then it's stopping you hitting the steering wheel hard.
Huge thanks to plastic monkey and slug56. This routine worked beautifully on my recently acquired 2004 Micra SE. The connections under the seat were easy to find, very obviously hanging under the seat (no need to move carpet!) and I was able to reconnect a wire followed by using the recommended reset routine with ultimate success. The irritating flashing red light has gone:smile:
I was in a full frontal collision about 4 years ago in a 10 year old car and the airbags didn't inflate...while not proof, I've had it on good account that the actual airbag modules (the detonator, gas cartridge and inflatable bag) often won't go off by that age, hence manufacturers service requirements often say a 10 year airbag replacement. I've never bothered, especially as the passenger airbag would require lots of opening of the dashboard.
Works!!! Have had a flashing airbag light for months now...and it was one of the reasons my car just failed its mot (didn't know it was a case of 'could be a fault' -). With the retest in 10 days I was a bit worried this would cost hundreds to sort out, if not more - so got googling fast! So glad I came across this - was skeptical, but it's worked! Hope it holds out for the MOT in a few days time ...
I had this on my 2002 Corolla last November. It turned out that it needed a new airbag module, with the same symptoms. I had it repaired for free under guarantee, but it's not cheap ordinarily. Sorry to bring bad news :frown:
Can anybody please help me I’ve got a Nissan micra 09 plate the airbag light is staying on I’ve had a mot fail due to this problem I’ve paid £50 to have it reset stayed off for 6 hours car due for retest can’t keep paying £50 out every time
Original post by mooremichael56
Can anybody please help me I’ve got a Nissan micra 09 plate the airbag light is staying on I’ve had a mot fail due to this problem I’ve paid £50 to have it reset stayed off for 6 hours car due for retest can’t keep paying £50 out every time

You've had it reset? Sounds like all they did was plug in and wipe the code and its thrown the code up again.

Buy an OBD scanner and see what code the car is throwing up, that'll give you some idea as to what the issue is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending