The Student Room Group
Reply 1
felixjmorgan
i am doing a coursework on why men from south wales signed up for the international brigade in the spanish civil war. does anyone have resources i could use? i dont want links for spanish civil war or international brigade cos most of them just have lists of names and arent relevant. thanks

http://www.llgc.org.uk/ymgyrchu/Heddwch/RhyfelSbaen/index-e.htm

I gave you that yesterday, isn't that what you're looking for?
Reply 2
Alec
http://www.llgc.org.uk/ymgyrchu/Heddwch/RhyfelSbaen/index-e.htm

I gave you that yesterday, isn't that what you're looking for?

thanks, but its not really what im looking for. i cant upload it cos its in .wps but ill copy and paste:

Felix Morgan 11GD History Coursework 2003
Why did some men from South Wales fight in the Spanish civil war?

In Spain on 13th July 1936 an important right wing politician Calvo Sotela was murdered. A group of right wing army officers led by General Francisco Franco began a revolt against the republican government. They received help from the leaders of Germany and Italy, Hitler and Mussolini, in the form of planes, tanks, weapons, 120 000 soldiers and advisers.

In response to this the supporters of the republican government retaliated by creating an army to challenge Franco’s fascist army. Many communist sympathisers sent help by money and men to fight. These men became known as the International Brigade. The International Brigade consisted of 40 000 men in total, including 2 000 from UK and 174 from South Wales. In this coursework I will explore the many reasons why men from South Wales went to fight in the Spanish civil war. I will explore political, economical, social, cultural, and religious reasons.

I will begin with the political reasons why they went. The majority of men in South Wales had left wing beliefs, and has strong feelings against fascism. Also, in the 1930s, people were more socially active than they are nowadays, and would therefore be more inclined to go to Spain to fight for a cause they believed in. Also, most people belonged to a trade union, and the trade unions were encouraging people to go and fight. The Welsh had similar political beliefs to the republicans and would have supported them and opposed Franco and fascism.

There were also many economic beliefs, including the fact that Wales was suffering from depression at the time, and there were many benefits from going in the International Brigade. Men got paid to be in it. It wasn’t much money, but they didn’t get paid much at home anyway. Many men were leaving Wales for England or foreign countries including America searching for jobs due to the huge unemployment rate in Wales.
Felix Morgan 11GD History Coursework 2003
Why did some men from South Wales fight in the Spanish civil war?

Many men went to fight for social reasons. Some men went because their friends and family went, and it seemed like a fun thing to do. Also, some men went out of boredom, as this was something to do, as they would otherwise be jobless and very bored. In a lot of families political activity was a tradition. Lots of people would have been encouraged to sign up because their families had strong beliefs about stopping the spread of fascism.

Another reason people went to fight was because of cultural reasons. Many of the volunteers were miners who were at risk of losing their lives from gas explosions or the mines collapsing everyday. This meant that the worries of going to fight in the war were not so threatening to them. Also, a lot of the volunteers had Spanish relatives. This meant they would want to go and fight so as to save their families from a fascist regime.

Latest

Trending

Trending