The Student Room Group

Royal Navy Warfare Officers, Bursaries/URNU

Hi, at the moment I'm in sixth form and ultimatly want to do a degree and then join the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer.

I've looked at all the information regarding the AIB and selection process on the royal navy website but I was wondering if anyone had any tips of what could be done to prepare in advance for the URNU interviews, what kind of things they are looking for, what makes a person stand out etc.. What it's like in a URNU?

Also any particular extra curricular activities that look good.. Basically any advice re: bursaries/urnu's at all would be great!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
URNUs are a good laugh. You generally meet up and go out in a mini warship most weekends and have a go at being at sea. You look after the boat and get delegated different positions to help run it from starting the engines to making lunch. :smile: URNU interviews are very much like UAS (RAF) and IOT(Army) ones. Its not like the full blown selection but you are expected to know about the Navy and any branches you are interested in.
Reply 2
are they interested in things such as what sports/activities you do? things like that?
Reply 3
I'm not on an URNU but I know people who are and I've been to sea with them. I believe they have an expedition once a year and do plently of adventure training inbetween. There is also a joint forces training program that people from URNUs can sign up for and it includes things like mountain leaders courses, first aid courses, diving, skiing, caving, etc.
Reply 4
thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 5
You're welcome. You'll have a lot of fun doing it. I quite enjoyed going out to sea, though don't tell any of the RAF boys that :wink:

They do their recruiting at Freshers fayres btw.
Reply 6
do you have a sponsorship/bursary with the raf? kinda just wondering is it better to apply, say, whilst in the URNU/UAS/IOT or in the summer before uni starts? I dunno, I just want to give myself the best possible application because its something that I really want, if I didn't get a bursary then I'd definatly still apply for direct graduate entry when I finished uni
Reply 7
shazzam
do you have a sponsorship/bursary with the raf? kinda just wondering is it better to apply, say, whilst in the URNU/UAS/IOT or in the summer before uni starts? I dunno, I just want to give myself the best possible application because its something that I really want, if I didn't get a bursary then I'd definatly still apply for direct graduate entry when I finished uni

The bursaries for this year have closed already I believe. Best to phone and check that. But yes, you would be going through selection around the summer time, join the URNU at the end of the summer just before uni starts in September. If you really want it, go for it :smile:

And no, I don't have either of those lovely things with the RAF unfortunatly. I'm going through the hoops of selection for Pilot at the minute :smile:
im glad i found this thread, im going to be doing the same thing in about 5 years after i do a levels and then uni...lol.

As for extra curricular activities, i have no problem whatsoever because im in the Sea Cadets. i know a lot about the navy already, been to a few naval establishments and i know most of the drill and ceremonial etc. but the whole process of being in the cadets shows them that you have the leadership and teamwork qualities that the selection board are looking for.
Reply 9
I wouldn't be so sure of yourself. So you're in the sea cadets, thats great. What else? Just because you are in the cadets doesn't mean you're ok. I've seen people turned away who are cadets, it isn't like some golden ticket. It may look good if you were applying for an URNU but to be honest don't put all your eggs in one basket when applying for the Navy.
Reply 10
BeckySparrow
As for extra curricular activities, i have no problem whatsoever because im in the Sea Cadets. i know a lot about the navy already, been to a few naval establishments and i know most of the drill and ceremonial etc. but the whole process of being in the cadets shows them that you have the leadership and teamwork qualities that the selection board are looking for.

*sigh*

Becky, the military are not looking to recruit cadets as officers. It helps, but if you carry on thinking like this, you'll be just like the dozens of candidates I saw at OASC who waltz in assuming that 8 years in the cadets entitles them to a commission.

You're right, you'll have some knowledge about the Navy. You'll know how to do drill, and understand some ceremonical aspects. But being a cadet does not mean you have the required leadership and teamwork credentials to be an officer.

The comment that you have "no problems whatsoever" with extracurricular activities because you're a cadet shows a very immature outlook towards becoming a military officer. You do have a problem; someone who arrives for interview having done nothing but been a cadet looks bad. We want well rounded people, who have done things other than just things with a military connection.

You should be looking at other school clubs and societies, sports clubs in the community not connected with cadets, charity work, volunteering, positions of responsibility at school, things like that. That's the breadth of outlook we like.

Arrive arrogantly assuming that the AIB'll be a walkover because you've been a Sea Cadet and you'll leave disappointed.
Reply 11
I've never been anywhere near sea cadets and I dropped out of guides years ago...
but anyway, from what I've found out from here there and everywhere at the end of the day its the nice people at the AIB who know exactly what they want and not really anyone else
Reply 12
I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I'd just stick it here :p:

I did a search on this site (can't remember the exact search) and I ended up reading something about the navy and army being more disciplined than the raf (I dont mean this in a bad way,!) Is this opinion or fact? If it is true what are the differences/what is it like?

It may have been about being more ceremonial? I'm not sure. Just looking for more enlightenment!
well the grass is always greener isn't it! Theres a stigma that the Army is more disciplined, indeed I would struggle to find Sandhurst a pleasurable experience as opposed to Cranwell. It really does depend on who you ask! My opinion is that the Army is the most disciplined with the Navy and RAF somewhere after that.
Reply 14
The grass at Sandhurst doesn't look very green to me either but the grass at BRNC looks lush and nice :smile: From what I've heard about Sandhurst though recently it does sound very very disciplined
my mates in the URNU and loves it. There is also a girl who i know who is a UCE (sponsored through uni having already done Dartmouth).

BTW, everyone keeps refering to the Army version of the URNU/UAS as IOT..but it's actually the OTC :smile:
Reply 16
URNU question...
if my degree invlolved a year abroad could I still be in the URNU for 2 years and then for my final and 4th year? (the 3rd year being spent abraod as part of the course) Just wondering :confused:
Generally yes

Latest