Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3277579.stm

ReputationRep:
    or, more to the point, is physics ever 'right'?
    theories always change eventually in light of new evidence. im sure theyll squeeze it into existing theories somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd say that the rules of physics are made around what we know (ie. discovered practically), so the idea of sub-atomic particles will be adapted to fit this one in like the theory of the atom was changed from plum pudding to a nucleus with electrons orbiting around.

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting. Have you heard of the Higgs Boson?- it's another weird particle with some strange properties (something to do with mass) but I can't remember exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king of swords)
    Well I'd say that the rules of physics are made around what we know (ie. discovered practically), so the idea of sub-atomic particles will be adapted to fit this one in like the theory of the atom was changed from plum pudding to a nucleus with electrons orbiting around.
    yes, they've already started conjecturing that it is two quarks and two antiquarks, but that would require that there is another colour involved, but somehow they have already fit this into the theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    This is interesting. Have you heard of the Higgs Boson?- it's another weird particle with some strange properties (something to do with mass) but I can't remember exactly.
    Isn't that supposed to be the particle that HASN'T been discovered which is required for mass to exist???

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that supposed to be the particle that HASN'T been discovered which is required for mass to exist???
    it isnt required for mass to exist, but would go a long way to quantising gravity

ReputationRep:
    Well they have detected it a few times, but thats the one. New Scientist! Always a classic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    it isnt required for mass to exist, but would go a long way to quantising gravity
    ah, thank u .

ReputationRep:
    imo this is great news, it helps show that physics is alive and there are plenty of discoveries for ppl still to find out

i am hoping to discover some thing big one day...hmm maybe the ultimate theory of everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    imo this is great news, it helps show that physics is alive and there are plenty of discoveries for ppl still to find out

i am hoping to discover some thing big one day...hmm maybe the ultimate theory of everything.
    not if someone else beats you to it *pointing the finger at maskall*

ReputationRep:
    Can we smash computers in the atomic smasher? Would it create new types of harddrive or graphics card or whatever? That'll be interesting wouldn't it?

Pretty much nothing is ever proved outside maths. Because we are in the universe, theories will always be theories and never be can they be called the universal truth.

ReputationRep:
    i know, i always have a few tricks up my sleeve!!!!

I WILL BE THE BEST PHYSICIST EVER.

SEE YOU AT OXFORD IN LESS THAN 2 YEAR TIME ELPAW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_brucie)
    i know, i always have a few tricks up my sleeve!!!!

I WILL BE THE BEST PHYSICIST EVER.

SEE YOU AT OXFORD IN LESS THAN 2 YEAR TIME ELPAW.
    NO, go to cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    NO, go to cambridge.
    don't go to cambridge, don't do *ugh* physical science* ught don't do maths and chemistry, come to oxford

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.