The Student Room Logo
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
This thread is closed

transfer from Imperial to US unis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you're an applicant yourself then I totally believe you, but then I must say MIT kinda disappoints me as their average SAT scores are not that great, hence, they can't be all that smart can they?:rolleyes:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Threads like this are hilarious. Do you all think the quality of teaching or employment prospects are, in reality, any different among elite universities?
Reply 22
EDIT: double post: sorry about that
Reply 23
Mate seriously at undergrad level it really does not matter if you do it at IC or MIT. If you really want the name then do a postgrad.
If you could get a first at IC im sure you will be able to do the required SATs with ease. I spoke to 2 MIT students at the AAMAS conference, neither of them did their undergrad at MIT, but that doesnt mean ppl dont take them seriously. If you want to go into industry afterwards then IC is good enough to get you the job.
Reply 24
codemonkey
Mate seriously at undergrad level it really does not matter if you do it at IC or MIT. If you really want the name then do a postgrad.
If you could get a first at IC im sure you will be able to do the required SATs with ease. I spoke to 2 MIT students at the AAMAS conference, neither of them did their undergrad at MIT, but that doesnt mean ppl dont take them seriously. If you want to go into industry afterwards then IC is good enough to get you the job.

I heard people saying that undergrad degrees are more important than post grad. I don't know. If I wait for 1 year than apply to US unis (standard application instead of transfer), do I need to do SATs?
Reply 25
sigh.

Go **** yourself.
hello,
I would like to go to harvard university next year, but I'm too lazy to do SATs.... What should I do?
I've applied to US and been through the entire hell(Seriously, it's way harder than the UK applications with the essays, recommendations & special stuff you need to send in).

I've also had the privilege of mixing with 2 successful Ivy-league applicants (Princeton & Wharton Business School), so I think I have a clear idea of applying to US schools.

What it takes to get into the top-tier US universities isn't academic results, but it also isn't just ECAs either. What it takes is CHARACTER & PERSONALITY, knowing who you are, what you want out of life and displaying that personality through your written essays and recommendations. All your previous achievements and successes have to somehow fit into that mould of a person you intend to project to the admissions counselors and they have to see that clearly in you.

That's the most succinct way I can summarise the US applications process.

Now, regarding applying for transfer to MIT, IT'S TOUGH. Their freshman admission rate is less than 10%, but their transfer admission rate is probably less than 5%.

You gotta be some crazy whizkid who wins international physics competitions, or won some Young Researcher Award to get in there. I'm not joking. That's the kind of students they're looking for. (This is based on the profiles of some MIT students I've read about.)

My advice is, if you intend to go MIT, apply there for a Master's, unless of course, you're really intent on transferring there. The US application process really makes you grow as a person, and irregardless of the final result of the application, I have no doubt you'll come out a better person. (As it did for me.)

p.s. You must take SATs. Elite schools aren't known to make exceptions.
Reply 28
lj789
I heard people saying that undergrad degrees are more important than post grad. I don't know. If I wait for 1 year than apply to US unis (standard application instead of transfer), do I need to do SATs?

I believe Yale take full A-levels instead of SATs; they're not known for their CS dept though. For the others, you'd have to go through the whole process.
Reply 29
lj789

As far as I know: yes! I don't think there are many exceptions at MIT or Berkeley. But pay attention, if you're already in college I believe you CAN NOT apply through a standart application. Verify this with MIT's admission tutors, but from what I know Freshman applications are only acceptable for people who won't have completed at least one year of college by the time of their enrollment. That means you would have to apply as transfer.
If I were you I wouldn't worry that much about SATs. If you've taken physics and Maths and will be spending one year at college then you should have no problem with those exams.
Reply 30
Why has noone mentioned that it'll take 3 years to finish an undergrad degree here and cost ~3k/year whilst MIT fees are a bazillion dollars? Go to the US for bloody grad school if you're that bothered about it, academics will have heard of Imperial because it's a well-known university, honestly.There's some seriously weird american university-philia on this board.
JosFre
Well, MIT has an incredible reputation (obviously), but so does Imperial (at least in Europe). And btw, Imperial a no-name college in the USA? BS. Aeronautical engineering has an exchange program with MIT... I don't care if US students never heard of Imperial College, as truth be told, students won't be employing you, employers will. I had never heard of Cornell before watching The Office. That doesn't mean European employers haven't heard of it.

Americans are somewhat Amerio-centric. In a way you can say it is ignorance. Most British (or students at Imperial) would probably know the best few engineering or business schools in Europe. Most Americans can't even point where Iraq is on a map, and they only speak one language.

The fact that Imperial is one of the best engineering school in Europe would suffice. Europe is a sufficiently large economic bloc to begin with, and it has its own defence, aerospace industries and research capability. It now has to open its border to attract the best and brightest around the world.
Reply 32
s.e.r.e.n.e
Americans are somewhat Amerio-centric. In a way you can say it is ignorance. Most British (or students at Imperial) would probably know the best few engineering or business schools in Europe. Most Americans can't even point where Iraq is on a map, and they only speak one language.

The fact that Imperial is one of the best engineering school in Europe would suffice. Europe is a sufficiently large economic bloc to begin with, and it has its own defence, aerospace industries and research capability. It now has to open its border to attract the best and brightest around the world.

Very good points:woo:
MichaelEWChow
I've applied to US and been through the entire hell(Seriously, it's way harder than the UK applications with the essays, recommendations & special stuff you need to send in).

I've also had the privilege of mixing with 2 successful Ivy-league applicants (Princeton & Wharton Business School), so I think I have a clear idea of applying to US schools.

What it takes to get into the top-tier US universities isn't academic results, but it also isn't just ECAs either. What it takes is CHARACTER & PERSONALITY, knowing who you are, what you want out of life and displaying that personality through your written essays and recommendations. All your previous achievements and successes have to somehow fit into that mould of a person you intend to project to the admissions counselors and they have to see that clearly in you.

That's the most succinct way I can summarise the US applications process.

Now, regarding applying for transfer to MIT, IT'S TOUGH. Their freshman admission rate is less than 10%, but their transfer admission rate is probably less than 5%.

You gotta be some crazy whizkid who wins international physics competitions, or won some Young Researcher Award to get in there. I'm not joking. That's the kind of students they're looking for. (This is based on the profiles of some MIT students I've read about.)

My advice is, if you intend to go MIT, apply there for a Master's, unless of course, you're really intent on transferring there. The US application process really makes you grow as a person, and irregardless of the final result of the application, I have no doubt you'll come out a better person. (As it did for me.)

p.s. You must take SATs. Elite schools aren't known to make exceptions.

lol you do realize that those 5% are still higher than the 3.8%, that is the admittance rate for international undergraduates.

Getting into MIT is all about fit. They do put a lot (and I mean a lot) of emphases non school related stuff. They look for motivated and creative people, kids that do many things and still have good resulsts in school. But you don't need to be a genius to get in - go check the admissions website.

Tell you one thing tho, you won't find much help here since many talk without knowing the hell they're saying.

random18
Consider everything you just said above null and void.
MIT, unlike the other American elitist universities, only takes academics into consideration. Hence the 'nerdy' image it projects.

Wrong, that's Caltech.
aria57
On the other hand if you work anywhere outside of the UK, the MIT / berkley >> Imperial.

Definitely.
Imperial is unknown in the US while the MIT and Berkley brands will help you access a range of opportunities.
Reply 35
flugestuge
Definitely.
Imperial is unknown in the US while the MIT and Berkley brands will help you access a range of opportunities.

Juts found that this guy keeps on advertising the US unis, he does that in every related threads.
advice: don't do that in UK forum.