Check out other Related discussions

Should We Bring The Cane Back?

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ooooh. Yes please!
Reply 2
I remember watching this on BBC2.

No. Discipline is the parents' responsibility. If someone who isn't my family hits me, they're getting hit back, no matter what I did.
Reply 3
I'm torn, most of me says yes we should, (use it only as a detterent i.e. to threaten kids. Only the very bad ones should get the beats) but then another side of me thinks its the parents responsibility. The law is on the side of children and so they get away with murder nowadays. The job of whooping kids is down to parents and yes parents should legally be allowed to whoop their kids asses. (but by whoop i don't mean beat them to death)

My parents whooped my ass and I turned out purrrfect! A good ass whooping is neccessary.
Reply 4
It depends what you define as a 'want' and 'need'.
Well a bit too late now. At school I had some fit female teachers and I always wanted them to use the cane on me. :coma:
Reply 6
Problem is that people get carried away. I was just in India and there was all this news about a 12 year old girl getting beaten to death by her headteacher.
Reply 7
i've never got hit by my parents and never caned. Same with my sister, we're fine, in fact, purrrfect. lol.
Some teachers were talking to us about this... one thought yes because of the current lack of sanctions in today's world (esp. in education); the other thought no as they'd hate to personally administer it - plus think of the height of some teachers compared to 6th form guys!
Reply 9
I love how the presenter bamboozled that old cane man with his great question at about 1:30.

I think it's ridiculous that this idea is even being discussed, of course we shouldn't bring the cane back.
Reply 10
ermmmm......

some kids are proper disrespctful bastards, and it seems like their parents dont know how to raise em properly o.O

but hitting them doesnt teach them anything.......
If you have to resort to violence to control children, you probably aren't a very good teacher.
Reply 12
yep, some schools have dire disipline.
Reply 13
I think you'll find I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18204101

There was a poll as well, and half of the people who voted said we should bring it back.
Reply 14
The 'unruly pupils' would not stand for it. If a child is willing to bite a teacher as suggested in the podcast, I'm sure they wouldn't let a teacher use a cane on them.

I was never really disruptive at school, but it would really bother me knowing such a thing was going on.
Not much point now, far too late for any of this to be brought back. The attitude of kids has changed from when teachers were something to be afraid of and it would just be some last ditch futile way to seek control.
Reply 16
Bump
Reply 17
It should be allowed by the special teams (who are specially trained) who take over sink-schools to help them rule with discipline and restore order.
Yes,

my friend who teaches in a school remarked after his first few days there "you walk around and its quite obvious that the children are in charge". You can have all the anger management classes in the world.

The pathetic legislation and nonsense rules laid down by our modern Labour party led to this state of affairs, they indulge these kind of children, giving them therapy and counselling as as part of the self-indulgent cult of "self-expression", when what these children really need, and also what they want is a bit of discipline and guidance in life, they want authority figures. Someone with a bit of backbone to show them were the boundaries are, and what they consequences are if they cross them.
yes

Latest

Trending

Trending