The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey there, passed mine 7 months ago on the second attempt. most important thing is try not to worry, its not like it matters - u can do it again in a couple of weeks. so being not stressed up is the best thing u can do, take a walk b4hand and go in calm. practise roundabouts and one way streets and bay parking as those are where its easy to slip up and just do ur best. good luck
Reply 2
Ooo good luck! No advice from me I'm afraid, I am still too scared to start driving lessons for the fear of killing some poor granny crossing the road :biggrin: Also, was not reassured when driving with my brother a couple of weeks after him passing his test and crashing :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll be fine (reassuring aren't I? :tongue: )!
Reply 3
Petrozzi
Hiya peeperinos, I have my driving test in a weeks time and I was wonder if people that have taken it can share their experiences, good and bad. Also if you have any pointers on what sort of things the examiner will ask, this is generally to get things clear on my head to reduce nerves.

Cheers :wink:

hiya! good luck!
i passed my driving test first time ooh this time last week!
i think all i can really say, well it's a cliche, but just try to stay calm, and try to forget the examiner's there, pretend ure taking an old man/woman on a drive!
oh yea, and act confident, cos if u act all timid and stuff they think u won't b able to cope on the roads by ureself.
i was sooo nervous before my test, and i had a 3 hour driving lesson b4 hand which prolly wasn't wise, cos my instructor just shouted at me the whole time, yet i still passed, i think i was prolly thinking if i don't pass i'll have to go back to more lessons with him!! nooooo!
~connie~
x
d'ya reckon ya might crash and then you might stop posting useless crap on the forum
Reply 5
My advice may sound simple but just relax and you'll be fine. Get up in plenty of time for your test if it's in the morning to prepare.

Your pre-test will help loads. If you're anything like I was it will take you a while to get going when driving so make sure you drive calmly and your instructor will help iron out mistakes.

The examiner is very clear and concise at all times and whoever it is they'll do their best to make you feel relaxed by telling jokes or asking general questions like what you do for a living etc. I expect.

At the end of the day, contrary to popular belief, they don't like to see you fail, so just enjoy your driving, think about what you're doing and as emphasised above, don't stress and know that if you fail you can always have another crack in a few weeks.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Cheers for the support guys! Lots of good points :smile:

Maskall, do give me your address or something so I can have a one to one chat to you, I'll give you the love you were never shown by your parents.
Reply 7
Use your mirrors. Lots. Keep an eye on your speed, but don't go too slowly. Assume every other driver on the road is a total moron.

I passed first time in May, although I have no idea how :confused:
Reply 8
Helenia
Use your mirrors. Lots. Keep an eye on your speed, but don't go too slowly. Assume every other driver on the road is a total moron.

I passed first time in May, although I have no idea how :confused:

:biggrin:

I have about 8 hours of driving lessons left, my Instructor says my only problem is that I need to be more thorough checking on roundabouts, and that I go too quickly when turning into junctions.

Hopefully in the next 8 hours of my driving lessons all scattered around the next week I can sort this and feel close, if not 100% confident. That's the aim anyhow.
Reply 9
Helenia
Use your mirrors. Lots.

Ah yes that's a good one - they like you to check your mirrors for every little thing :smile:
Reply 10
So this is why girls are passing their tests! :tongue:
Reply 11
Petrozzi

lol :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Petrozzi

tbh i reckon examiners pass girls much more easily.
Reply 13
edders

nah, we're just naturally much better drivers than guys! lol!
Reply 14
edders

Typical response! :rolleyes: Or maybe the majority of males get more arrogant when behind the wheel? :biggrin:
Reply 15
I failed mine last month and im taking it again next week. good luck! i failed with 6 minors and one major, the major was i didnt check the mirrors before i parked. the instrutor was not the most helpfull of guys either. they will talk to you to check if ur confident but that may distract u like it did to me. Always check ur mirrors, be confident and dont be over-cautious. They almost do not care how u drive ur car, they test you more on your ability to concentrate on the world around you.
Reply 16
By the way, a lie also helps like: tell the examiner that ur grandmother died last nite. That way, what kind of monster would fail you????
Reply 17
Hungernail
I failed mine last month and im taking it again next week. good luck! i failed with 6 minors and one major, the major was i didnt check the mirrors before i parked. the instrutor was not the most helpfull of guys either. they will talk to you to check if ur confident but that may distract u like it did to me. Always check ur mirrors, be confident and dont be over-cautious. They almost do not care how u drive ur car, they test you more on your ability to concentrate on the world around you.

yea lol, on my test, the guy kept opening and closing the windows, electric, so they seemed to make the loudest sound ever, and twiddling his thumbs all the time! that's all i could see out of the corner of my eye and even that made an annoying noise!
Reply 18
edders

Doubt it - of the people I know, lots more guys passed first time than girls. And before anyone says anything, I didn't do it by flirting with him!
Reply 19
Yup ...

Just give the instructor a nice ride ... they are your guest in the car, and are probably a little nervous about being in a car with a learner driving under the influence of nervous tension!

If you dont know what they said, ask in a polite way. And try and make a few jokes along the way. I was on a really narrow road and a bus zoomed past me and I had to nearly go on the pavement. I said 'shut your eyes' and she laughed, so I guess that worked seeing as I passed lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending