Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    tbh i reckon examiners pass girls much more easily.
    Wrong mate. I think its the other way around. Boys tend to be better drivers until they have passed their test (then note the difference in insurance costs for boys and girls!!!) . Girls tend to be more cautious and get more for hesitation, so pass less, but once they are on the road they are generally better drivers.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The mirror thing is ultra important - and it helps to adjust the mirror so that you have to move your head slightly to check - I'm *always* checking my mirrors but in my first 2 tests the examinor couldn't tell because it was all eye movement (I mucked up other things too - wasn't convinced I could pass either time but on the third go I was convinced (because I only made one stupid mistake on the 2nd test)).

Also it sounds daft but make sure you know how to switch the lights/windsreen wipers on - it's that time of year and if you haven't had many lessons in the dark/rain it's easy to get a bit muddled and drive round for half an hour with your lights on full beam (not that I did that on my test...but it's not unknown to happen since)...and the same with fog lights too.

My test was yrs ago now (coming up to 5 in february...which means max no claims when my insurance comes up for renewal in May ) but I still remember the nerves on the drive to the test centre (all the way in Dorchester because my instructor didn't like the Bournemouth bods).

I didn't drive over 50 at all before passing my test - I was terrified of breaking the instructors car. Soon as I got my own car 3 months later the 2nd day I drove it (the 2nd time I'd driven since passing the test) I was going at 75-80mph on the motorway . Now I drive 70 miles a day to work and back and still love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    Hiya peeperinos, I have my driving test in a weeks time and I was wonder if people that have taken it can share their experiences, good and bad. Also if you have any pointers on what sort of things the examiner will ask, this is generally to get things clear on my head to reduce nerves.

Cheers
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    i have my test in 3 weeks and am really worried cos my instructor is away and has landed me with this dopey woman she is an instructor but i had a lesson with her last week and shes completly useless i done loads of stuff wrong and shes sat there saying oh lovely thats great welldone now im really worried she wont teach me how to pass my test properly.what can i do as i just want to hurry up and take my test and if i cancel it i could end up waiting months for another one. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be scared to ask to do something again. On my test I messed up reversing round a corner. I said "I messed that up, can I do it again?". The examiner said "do just as you would if you were on your own", so i re did the reversing, did it fine and passed.

ReputationRep:
    i passed my test second time a few weeks ago. just listen to the tips that every1 is giving u, theyr really good.
    also another thing u can do (what i did anwyay lol) is to talk thru everything that ur doing out loud. who cares if the examiner thinks ur mad as long as ur driving safely :P and i may just be making it up but i think its good cz then the examiner knows ur thought process..
    i found it helped cz i tend to lose concentration really easily and so talking to myself helped me focus!!!
    lol anwyay good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    Hiya peeperinos, I have my driving test in a weeks time and I was wonder if people that have taken it can share their experiences, good and bad. Also if you have any pointers on what sort of things the examiner will ask, this is generally to get things clear on my head to reduce nerves.

Cheers
    I hope i can help....i did my test only last week (fri) and passed! Yippee!!

b4 u even get into the car,u will be asked to read a number plate & to answer a couple of questions eg what is the legal requirment of tyre tread? (answer 1.6) & how would you check ur oil.

After that you start driving, its all fairly simple stuff....remember at round abouts or junctions if the guy doesnt say left or right - then he just wants you to go straight ahead.
    You will probably be pulled over and rejoin the road afew times & have to do 2 manouevers eg turn in the road & reverse round corner - they like lots of observation.

Just be cool, try & relax and chat to the test bloke/lady it helps!!
    Good luck!! X

ReputationRep:
    Just before I took my test, my driving instructer said this,

"It's just a driving test. It's not a matter of life and death. If you fail you can always take it again. So just relax and drive as usual."

It worked!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.