Is power steering necessary? Watch

Ianus
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've been thinking of buying a new car and want to know if it's necessary to have power steering.

I'm looking to buy a small car (eg. Renault Clio, Ford Fiesta, Smart Car), say around 4-7 years old and a lot of the ones i've looked at don't have power steering. I've never driven a car without power steering before (my current 1997 Renault Clio has it) so is it really hard to drive without it? Or does it not matter so much on a small car?

Thanks for any help!
impsmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
power steering is really not required on a Smart. it would help sure but you don't need it.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My car didn't have power steering, okay so it takes a little longer to get used to it, and builds up arm muscles and means that some parking spaces you just have to abandon all hope for, but I really didn't find it a hinderance.
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really, really not needed at all.

I drive a people carrier (seats 8) without power steering, and only ever wish for it when it is full of people. A small car really won't need it.

If anything, cars without power assisted steering feel nicer to drive anyway - more connected, in my opinion.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, my 1994 peugeot 106 doesnt have power steering and since its a light enough car its not that bad. Just a bit of a ***** for parallel parking and 3-point turns but meh, easy enough
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Doesn't matter so much for a small car, unless you plan to be doing a lot of reverse parking and the like!
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The parking problem can be helped by slipping the clutch and crawling over a short distance very slowly. Doesn't eradicate it, but it does help.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
The parking problem can be helped by slipping the clutch and crawling over a short distance very slowly. Doesn't eradicate it, but it does help.
i dont think ive ever performed a parking manouvre without slipping the clutch :o:
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
You shouldn't dry steer (steering whilst the car is stationary) anyway, whether the car has power steering or not.
Millmill
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What does slipping th clutch mean?

I don't have power steering in my car (1996 fiesta) and there are times when I'd kill for it, like parking in a multi story carpark yesterday, but overall it's really not that bad
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I lived without it. It's more fun without, in my mind.
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not that nescacary, you can live without it fine. As others have said, it builds the arm muscles, and it really isn't noticeable once you're rolling.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tofufi)
You shouldn't dry steer (steering whilst the car is stationary) anyway, whether the car has power steering or not.
i once bled the powersteering system by turning the wheel left+right about 10-15 times, by the time i had finished there were thick black marks and noticable patches on the tyres! thank god they needed replacing beforehand!
AugustWestie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Isn't it a bit weird that the 4 - 7 year old cars you're looking at don't have power steering? I thought they all had it these days.
Charlski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
God no, on small cars it's completely unnecessary.
Snookercraze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Power steering makes life so much easier, as expected, especially when parking. I wouldn't buy a car without it to be honest. Its on my 'list' of absolute necessities in a car.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A lack of power steering is a beautiful thing, you can actually feel the road... I hate the 'spaceship' feel of modern cars.
lyncici
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
More important, in my opinion, is a good turn radius. Then I don't might having no power steering. :yep:
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Necessary? No, but I wouldn't choose to drive a car that didn't have it. The one time I did drive a car without power steering, it turned driving from a pleasure to a chore - no thanks!
Charlski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Referee)
Necessary? No, but I wouldn't choose to drive a car that didn't have it. The one time I did drive a car without power steering, it turned driving from a pleasure to a chore - no thanks!

It's funny isn't it, I actively prefer to drive cars without it - I like to be able to 'feel' the road and you just don't get that in the same way with power steering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads