Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Fake geeks need to gtfo Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, the other night I met a guy who encompassed everything that I hate about this generation. Such a cocky poser and entirely self-obsessed. He insisted that he was a "cool geek", and pointed to the faded pacman emblazoned on his top to prove it. So I talked to him a bit more and found out, that he was (as expected) anything but a geek.

Apparently, all it takes is a pair of glasses and a retro game t-shirt. :stupid:
    I have no idea where this annoying trend of pseudo-geekiness came from, it's just another stupid image sold to anyone dumb enough to buy into it. Half the people claiming to be "nerdy" would probably never be seen dead with a true nerd.

So you recently developed an interest in comic books? Good for you, but that fact alone does not make you a geek, so stop exploiting the **** out of it and get off the bandwagon. We were here first.

rrrrrrawrrrrr
    </rant>

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Preach it! lol

ReputationRep:
    It's making us nerdy/ geeky people look just a little cooler, though. Just a little. Admit it.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a geek....my boyfriend says I'm too uncool.

ReputationRep:
    fake geek?
    emm?
    wha?
    this is a very questionable discussion
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_shot2remember)
    So, the other night I met a guy who encompassed everything that I hate about this generation. Such a cocky poser and entirely self-obsessed. He insisted that he was a "cool geek", and pointed to the faded pacman emblazoned on his top to prove it. So I talked to him a bit more and found out, that he was (as expected) anything but a geek.

Apparently, all it takes is a pair of glasses and a retro game t-shirt. :stupid:
    I have no idea where this annoying trend of pseudo-geekiness came from, it's just another stupid image sold to anyone dumb enough to buy into it. Half the people claiming to be "nerdy" would probably never be seen dead with a true nerd.

So you recently developed an interest in comic books? Good for you, but that fact alone does not make you a geek, so stop exploiting the **** out of it and get off the bandwagon. We were here first.

rrrrrrawrrrrr
    </rant>
    He did say 'cool geek', which is an oxymoron in itself. Besides, who are you to say what 'geek' is?

ReputationRep:
    oh sweet freaking irony oh if the pupils of saved by the bell coud see us now

who would have thought a geek would tell others to stop being wannabe geeks lmao

anyway i know where its come from, the re-releasing and making of such films as X-men, batman, transformers, hulk, fantastic four and thier popularity, it has suddenly become cool to know some of the other stuff associated with hugh jackman and wolverine

oh and i am a cool geek

wanna see my tattoos to prove it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    It's making us nerdy/ geeky people look just a little cooler, though. Just a little. Admit it.
    Well, yeah but who wants to be cool in the mainstream? If anything, it just makes us that little bit less individual.

ReputationRep:
    So, there's a new chapter into socially retarded classes.

Fake Geeks/Nerd Posers = It's cool to be a geek.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

rrrrrrawrrrrr
    </rant>
    So what does it take to be a true geek/nerd? A knowledge of assembly programming and reverse engineering skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    He did say 'cool geek', which is an oxymoron in itself. Besides, who are you to say what 'geek' is?
    I'm not trying to generalise or dictate what geek is or isn't, but I think there are certain traits that just go with it and I don't like the hypocrisy of this whole geek chic thing.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think your particular brand of 'imsoindividualandcool:awesome:' geek is any better than his?
    Let people call themselves whatever the **** they want to call themselves.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me laugh to see all of the Donkey Kong, Pacman etc t-shirts being sold in Topman.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean, I think I recall having a bit of a rant about this on another thread a while ago.

Whilst I dont care enough to spend too much time raging about it, it is annoying- especially the ones that take it seriously aswell. I went to a bloc party gig not long ago, and it was full of **** bags like that. Im all for people following fashion trends if they so wish, but its the ones that actually take it a step further and take on the whole persona of an actual geek when they clearly arent that frustrate me. One of my 'friends' did it not so long ago. Hes actually a very cool guy, not geeky (in the traditional sense) in the slightest, he is popular and quite attractive, but wrote in his about me section on a certain website something like 'Im not cool, Im not popular or funny and I dont hang with the cool kids, I stutter and mess up my words. Im a nice guy, I love comic books computers and being a nerd.' That is NOTHING like him, exact opposite if anything. Ive never seen him with a comic book in my life.

I saw a photo of my ex boyfriend recently aswell with a huge pair of black rimmed glasses on and going for that look- he doesnt even need glasses! God im glad I got out when I did, I couldnt be seen with him all fake geeked up :d:

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah but who wants to be cool in the mainstream? If anything, it just makes us that little bit less individual.
    So you care about coming across as individual? That's partially hypocritical- surely you're just a geek beecause that happens to be the way you dress and what your interests involve, not to make other people see you as an individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    So what does it take to be a true geek/nerd? A knowledge of assembly programming and reverse engineering skills?
    Well that would help :p:
    but it definitely takes more than a t-shirt...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a geek. :smile:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to generalise or dictate what geek is or isn't, but I think there are certain traits that just go with it and I don't like the hypocrisy of this whole geek chic thing.
    Im saying that if its called 'Geek chic', and not 'geek', how is it misleading, and how in anyway can it be called hypocrisy? Moreover if you can't generalize a definition of 'geek' (as you actually admit), then why can you assume a definition in your criticism of some guy claiming to be one?

ReputationRep:
    ******* characterless hipsters.

my god, i hate people who claim to "******* love ska" even though what they really mean is ska-punk, and even then all they've ever heard is a couple of Sonic Boom Six tracks.

or maybe i'm just big-headed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    So you care about coming across as individual? That's partially hypocritical- surely you're just a geek beecause that happens to be the way you dress and what your interests involve, not to make other people see you as an individual.

Damn these phony geeks.
    No, that's not what I said. A little bit of individuality was just a nice by-product of my interests. To be honest, I've never even claimed to be a geek. Other people just said I was, so I just went with it. Its not even about the label, it's about some peoples fickleness.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.