This discussion is closed.
Team_cooper
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hello,

I am interested in studying towards CELTA certification. Eventually I would like to teach English in
Germany. Is the CELTA more accepted than the TEFL in Germany? Are the job opportunities better with
a CELTA qualification?

Also, could anyone suggest a good school in Germany or Prague that offers CELTA certification?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan
Pearson Brown
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:09:08 +0200, "team_cooper" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Hello,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I am interested in studying towards CELTA certification. Eventually I would like to teach English[/q1]
[q1]>in Germany. Is the CELTA more accepted than the TEFL in Germany? Are the job opportunities better[/q1]
[q1]>with a CELTA qualification?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Also, could anyone suggest a good school in Germany or Prague that offers CELTA certification?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Any help would be appreciated.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Jonathan[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
What do you mean by 'the TEFL'? TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. There are
various university courses at MA level in EFL or Applied Lingustics. Is that what you are
referring to?

The CELTA is only a 4 week course. It's a very good 4 week course but there's a limit to what you
can learn in 4 weeks. The DELTA is a one year part-time course but you need to have taught for a
couple of years first.

I work for a school in France and we would normally recruit teachers with the CELTA and a couple of
years experience.

One site which explains the CELTA well, though mainly from a US point of view, is
www.english-international.com .

Pearson BROWN www.better-english.com
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
There's a great section on TEFL qualifications in the excellent English Job Maze (www.englishjobmaze.com) website. This should clear up any queries you have about the difference between all the TESOL acronymns. It will also give you a summary of each qualification offered.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I would strongly advise AGAINST spending any money whatsoever on a TEFL course.

I have a TEFL qualification and have found that invariably employers weasle out of payment if they possibly can. A typical scenario is:

You take a 3-month contract. The employer says "ah. We'll get you a tourist visa because it's less complicated - not so many forms to fill in and it'll be cheaper".

The first month, you work very hard and are paid just about what was agreed. The provided accommodation is dire and the provided food is dire too (if they're part of the contract). There will be other shortcomings too - like laundry, washing facilities - maybe no hot water.

The second month, after you've made a massive adjustment to the conditions, the boss has a sudden cash crisis and can't pay you all that month's salary but promises it for the next month.

The third month, he doesn't pay you at all and then your visa runs out and you have to leave, well out of pocket. Did I mention travelling expenses - always promised but never provided.

I recommend wholeheartedly that you do not EVER teach for any companies in Latvia, Lithuania, Italy or Spain. I've had that kind of nonsense from every TEFL contract I've ever taken.

Only do TEFL if you are prepared to agree and sign a 3- month contract and then to walk out after the 1st month.

My last contract in Spain was agreen under UK and Spanish law. Both sets of laws were broken. Contract law was broken thoroughly. I never got my wages or my expenses so I am out of pocket by about 3,000 Euros. I can't find any way of chasing that company either.

Look at the boss before you work for him. If he drives an expensive car, wears a Rolex, wears lots of jewelery and is quite over-fed then you'll know where your wages will be going!

R
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.06%
No (604)
65.94%

Watched Threads