The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nellz
I wouldn't put too much faith in the booklet, since this year there were no chief examiners at the conference, unlike in previous years, so it is uncertain that the 'hints' in the booklet are for real or not.

I'm very scared that I haven't started my unit 6 revision yet, as I have 3 exams before then :frown:

lol i have revised pressure groups :p: that's why i'm hoping it wil come up!

part from that i would be happy with either a question on northern ireland or compare and contrasting parliaments.

i am really really hoping that a question on the democratic deficit will come up! LOL it's like English and Isabella all over again :rolleyes: ( maybe i won't be as lucky this time- i can't be lucky twice in a row surely! )
Reply 81
I went to that revision conference, and I think most of the suggested questions in the booklet have already come up. Atleast the democratic deficit proposals one has, as has comparing and contrasting Westminster and EP. Incidently, I did the DD proposals one and got quite a good mark for it (50/60). I tackled it slightly differently though, I didn't go through each institution but rather made points about various initiatives etc:

Intro
- Introduce the nature of the dd - citizens can't exercise their sovereignty, insts. are not accountable enough, no clear relationship between them. no further integration should take place until the dd is addressed, and enlargement makes need for reform urgent.
Proposals
Reforming or restructuring the EP, as it is the most obvious way to correct the dd being the only democratically elected inst. Further expansion of its functions & competences are campaigned for. The problem here is that euro elections are second order, dominated by domestic issues. An unevenly developed sense of political identity. Some argue that the answer is to build a euro identity on the basis of a common cultural inheritance, but the problem with this is that Europe has a divided history. Nation state is the 'final equilibrium' - an unreplicable development.
- national parliaments should be given more legitimacy than the EP; they can help to close dd by being allowed to scrutinise leg. more closely. They can't do this alone - QMV in council. Workload and expertise of nat. parliaments is a problem too. Solution may be better co-operation between national parliaments and EP. EP can gain democratic legitimacy, and parls will gain expertise. Nat. parliaments would thus act as the second chamber of the EP in a bicameral legislature desired by Britain. An intergovernmental argument.
- Changing nature of commission as has been mentioned by Nellz I think
- I also talked about the constitution, and how this will strengthen co-decision and a sense of european identity with a bill of rights, but this may no longer be relevant!
- Subsidiarity gives national parliaments a direct say in EU's law-making procedures, is hoped it will give nat. parliaments an incentive to work together closely, to maximise their effectiveness at EU level and this make the EU more attuned to the views of its citizens.

Phew! Hope this helps a bit. I have also done minimal unit 6 revision, arrgghhh! Although my teacher said that it's more about making connections in the exam and defining and analysing concepts.
Cellardore
lol i have revised pressure groups :p: that's why i'm hoping it wil come up!

part from that i would be happy with either a question on northern ireland or compare and contrasting parliaments.

i am really really hoping that a question on the democratic deficit will come up! LOL it's like English and Isabella all over again :rolleyes: ( maybe i won't be as lucky this time- i can't be lucky twice in a row surely! )

Northern Ireland-Well maybe you will be lucky and the talk about Northern Ireland specifically related to its party system will come up. The thing about paper 6 is that anything could come up.

Nellz
I'm very scared that I haven't started my unit 6 revision yet, as I have 3 exams before then

I havn't really started unit 6 revision yet either. The plan is to do that all day wednesday and hope that things have stuck in my head from last year. I might do a plan for a unit 6 question later or something. Maybe this one In what ways has membership of the EU affected the working of the EU constitution? because atleast that is also related to revision for tuesday too..
Reply 83
sparklyteacosie
Northern Ireland-Well maybe you will be lucky and the talk about Northern Ireland specifically related to its party system will come up. The thing about paper 6 is that anything could come up.

I havn't really started unit 6 revision yet either. The plan is to do that all day wednesday and hope that things have stuck in my head from last year. I might do a plan for a unit 6 question later or something. Maybe this one In what ways has membership of the EU affected the working of the EU constitution? because atleast that is also related to revision for tuesday too..

I'm currently revising for economics on Monday. Only after will I let myself think about politics :frown:
Nellz
I'm currently revising for economics on Monday. Only after will I let myself think about politics :frown:

I am thankful really that only minimal revision is required for theatre studies on tuesday (will get an unseen play to write essays on in the exam) so only need to go over what I revised for last weeks exam.

Good luck for economics tomorrow :smile:
Reply 85
sparklyteacosie
I am thankful really that only minimal revision is required for theatre studies on tuesday (will get an unseen play to write essays on in the exam) so only need to go over what I revised for last weeks exam.

Good luck for economics tomorrow :smile:

thanks, good luck to you too :smile:
all i can say guys is that my brain hurts from too much politics revision :frown: god help me when i'm at uni.

edit: and if i fail i think i wil cry because i've worked so hard for it (or at least i think i have! )
Cellardore
all i can say guys is that my brain hurts from too much politics revision :frown: god help me when i'm at uni.

edit: and if i fail i think i wil cry because i've worked so hard for it (or at least i think i have! )

I think my brain has had an overload. In the past hour I have hit my head on two doors whilst opening them :redface:
Reply 88
Ah hello Nicola! thought it was you lol! Good Luck for economics! MAy the thinking tools be with you!
So scared for tuesday! i wish it was like AS and we could predict the questions! Apparently though the constitution may be less likely to come up this year for unit 5 because of all the controversy that was coming up with referendums, but i could be verrrrrrrrrrrry wrong, either way i'm attempting to learn all unit 5 tomoro! In trouble methinks, why oh why are there so many topics for unit4!
Reply 89
Phi1ippa
Ah hello Nicola! thought it was you lol! Good Luck for economics! MAy the thinking tools be with you!
So scared for tuesday! i wish it was like AS and we could predict the questions! Apparently though the constitution may be less likely to come up this year for unit 5 because of all the controversy that was coming up with referendums, but i could be verrrrrrrrrrrry wrong, either way i'm attempting to learn all unit 5 tomoro! In trouble methinks, why oh why are there so many topics for unit4!

Thanks, but I promise you I will not be touching thinking tools with a 50 ft barge pole. Politics revision starts at midday tomorrow. But we will both be fine, I hope. Though I think I have a lot of unnecessary notes especially from unit 4. I guess we'll just see how it goes :smile:
hehe hey phil,

i vaguely remember mrs. fraser saying that the examiner people told her that a question just on the constitution wouldn't come up as the questions were written before a final constitution draft was accepted, but then she said she didn't trust them.

don't you know people from UCS who get taught by mcnaughton? any chance of last minute bribes and corruption? :wink:
Reply 91
shes_ellectric
hehe hey phil,

i vaguely remember mrs. fraser saying that the examiner people told her that a question just on the constitution wouldn't come up as the questions were written before a final constitution draft was accepted, but then she said she didn't trust them.

don't you know people from UCS who get taught by mcnaughton? any chance of last minute bribes and corruption? :wink:

I don't remember that, but then I don't remember the majority of her lessons, lol. I don't want it to come up, and would much prefer enlargement instead.

How's the economics revision going, mines non-existent :frown:
Nellz

How's the economics revision going, mines non-existent :frown:

i'm in the process of reading all the economics todays. v e r y s l o w l y

grr revision is too much like mental imprisonment. I'm SO bored!

5 days of hell left.
Reply 93
As i keep saying 5 days left until the nightmare that is a levels is over!!! Alas no contact with ucs people, have been a recluse the past few weeks! not necessarily revising, but stressing about the revision! But i was thinking as i looked at our favourite orange book- how unfair!!! I just dont know what to do for unit5 though, cannot even read all the flaming unit4 notes though, 2 arch lever files i tell you!

Although in today's sunday times there was more evidence that numeracy and literacy skills haven't improved due to gcse results. also... how cunfusing with the shadow cabinet re shuffle blimin old Letwin etc are now "former shadow chancellor etc"! grr very stressed!
eek reshuffle?

also worth mentioning:

top up fees axed in wales

There can be no permanent political settlement in Northern Ireland until the parading issue is resolved according to the new UUP leader, (following disturbances at recent orange order parades)

tell me about the social recluseness! iv been a hermit (almost :rolleyes: ) this month and i still havent done revision to speak of!

btw, who knew richard whitely died? :eek:
Reply 95
Ah see i'm so bad that i'm not even revising Northern Ireland, so feel free to laugh at me on tuesday when a very nice question comes up on it!

Yeah the reshuffle after the election- basically for all Letwin criticisms on Economy he's now former shadow chancellor replaced by George Osbourne but dont really have anything from him yet anyway. But our favourite David Davis is still shadow home secretary, who knows about Lib Dems tho, all i know is good old Vince Cable!

Aww i just heard about Richard Whitely, thats sooo sad, he was only 61! and even sadder was today they said he was recovering in the papers!
i am really confused with all these seperate areas in the EU.

what type of questions involve the constitution? i am so confused lol.
i guess you would write about the constitution in your evaluative conclusion about anything you could link it to.

e.g. for parliament you could say, the constitution would have doubled the areas of codecision to try and address the democratic deficit.
also parliament would get to chose the commission president, so commission is more accountable.

gridlock would have been eased by QMV going to more areas e.g. defence and taxation.

there'd be a full time EU president to have greater influence and symbolism

it'd reform the commission to make it smaller and more effiecient

for any conclusion you could also mention the effect of enlargement.
shes_ellectric
i guess you would write about the constitution in your evaluative conclusion about anything you could link it to.

e.g. for parliament you could say, the constitution would have doubled the areas of codecision to try and address the democratic deficit.
also parliament would get to chose the commission president, so commission is more accountable.

gridlock would have been eased by QMV going to more areas e.g. defence and taxation.

there'd be a full time EU president to have greater influence and symbolism

it'd reform the commission to make it smaller and more effiecient

for any conclusion you could also mention the effect of enlargement.

oh ok i understand it now thanks :smile:

does anyone have any clues as to what questions might come up on unit 5?

so far i have revised the commision (all the institutions basically lol), the EP - weakness, effectiveness and the democratic deficit. If this doesn't come up i am going to be well miffed that i wasted so much time on it. Either that or i'll try and mingle it in to any other of my answers :p:
I've been looking at past papers and nothing recently has come up on the different roles of EU bodies, economics stuff came up alot last time, so they might tone it down, I reckon they'll be something awkward like regional policy, defense, environment, then a question on reform, bye bye uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending