The Student Room Group
Reply 1
nick123
Hi

Applying to medical school in October for 2006 entry and was wondering what people thought of UEA? I was very keen on it but saw the Guardian table where it was ranked bottom and this worried me a bit. Also thinking of applying to HYMS, Durham and Peninsular.

Thanks very much,

Nick

tbh i dont really know much about UEA but you shouldnt really worry about the ranking, just get their prospectus and go to their open day. And do Durham do medicine?
Reply 2
durham do medicine. it's linked to newcastle.

thanks for the advice
Reply 3
The facilities at UEA for medicine are out of this world! And the new hospital is really, really nice. I can think of far worse places to study med...
Reply 4
I'm not really sure how they can rank a medical school that has only been taking students 2 full years....anyway!

*the building and hospital are lovely and shiny and new
*the atmosphere's great, friendly and non-pretentious
*the staff are dedicated and passionate about the course
*we get hands-on patient care from the 2nd week of starting and every week after that
*you have zillions of advisors/mentors there if you ever need any help
*the course is PBL so you're never alone to do work
*the work's not hard compared to A-levels (not as scientific as you'd expect)
*the campus has a big lake and ducks
*all accomodation's on campus

The only bad thing is that the nightlife is not the same compared to the likes of Manchester etc. But it does exist! Just not the choice. Compared to Stockton-on-Tees (i applied to Durham too) there's little difference in nightlife, maybe Norwich is better.
Oh, and the rest of the campus is a bit 1960s concretey, but not the medicine bit.
Reply 5
datwyn
I'm not really sure how they can rank a medical school that has only been taking students 2 full years....anyway!

*the building and hospital are lovely and shiny and new
*the atmosphere's great, friendly and non-pretentious
*the staff are dedicated and passionate about the course
*we get hands-on patient care from the 2nd week of starting and every week after that
*you have zillions of advisors/mentors there if you ever need any help
*the course is PBL so you're never alone to do work
*the work's not hard compared to A-levels (not as scientific as you'd expect)
*the campus has a big lake and ducks
*all accomodation's on campus

The only bad thing is that the nightlife is not the same compared to the likes of Manchester etc. But it does exist! Just not the choice. Compared to Stockton-on-Tees (i applied to Durham too) there's little difference in nightlife, maybe Norwich is better.
Oh, and the rest of the campus is a bit 1960s concretey, but not the medicine bit.

thanks very much for the info. definetly going to apply to UEA
nick123
Hi

Applying to medical school in October for 2006 entry and was wondering what people thought of UEA? I was very keen on it but saw the Guardian table where it was ranked bottom and this worried me a bit. Also thinking of applying to HYMS, Durham and Peninsular.

Thanks very much,

Nick

You really like the new med schools, eh?

Screw the rankings; they're a bit arbitrary anyway.
Reply 7
ThePenguinMafia
You really like the new med schools, eh?

Screw the rankings; they're a bit arbitrary anyway.

thanks, looking back on things i was a bit hasty in worrying about it!

Latest

Trending

Trending