The Student Room Group

getting my belly button pierced

Hi,

I want to get my belly button pierced and I just have a few questions for anyone who's had it done already

1) what is a reasonable price to pay for someone to do the piercing and for the belly bar/belly ring and cleaning materials they give you?

2)Do you have to get a belly ring to begin with because it's easier to clean- did any of you just get a belly bar straight away?

3) How soon after getting it done can you go swimming- (can you put a plaster over it if you need to swim regularly for work?)?

Would really appreciate any answers you've got!
Cheers
x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£25-£35 is probably the most common price range. Both of mine were £25. You don't need any cleaning materials or overpriced solutions full of chemicals - the best aftercare is sea salt soaks. And salt is pretty cheap. ;D 1/4teaspoon of salt in a mug of hot water, soak the piercing in it (using a shot glass is a good idea) for 5-10 minutes, once or twice a day.

Barbells are much more suitable than rings - don't get it done with a ring. It'll stick out a lot, get caught more and move around more (which will irritate the piercing). Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't be moving or turning the jewellery, it disrupts the healing piercing and doesn't help cleaning/healing.

The longer you wait for swimming the better - but if you absolutely have to swim, try and put it off for at least a few weeks, and make sure you rinse it well with plain water or a sea salt soak after each time you swim. A big waterproof plaster might help, but it's doubtful you'll find one big enough to cover it completely and strong enough to stick on for the swimming without actually stop it getting wet, heh.
Reply 2
NO NO NO NO NO NO.
you might get it caught on your clothing or something else for that matter!! and then RIP. *cringes*
Reply 3
I played rugby with mine in and it got ripped out, got it done again same happened again and i didn't notice until i showered and had a chunk of skin flapping away :smile:. Cost me £30 each time.
Mine got ripped out :frown:
Getting it done again soon when the scar heals a bit more.
k823127
I played rugby with mine in and it got ripped out, got it done again same happened again and i didn't notice until i showered and had a chunk of skin flapping away :smile:. Cost me £30 each time.

did it hurt more the second time? because of the scar tissue?
i'm getting mine re-pierced soon and i'm worried it'll be painful/difficult.
k823127

Bad mental image!
1) what is a reasonable price to pay for someone to do the piercing and for the belly bar/belly ring and cleaning materials they give you? I paid £20 for mine, but that was a good 5 years ago.

2)Do you have to get a belly ring to begin with because it's easier to clean- did any of you just get a belly bar straight away? I got a bar straight away. I don't know anyone who's started off with a ring.

3) How soon after getting it done can you go swimming- (can you put a plaster over it if you need to swim regularly for work?)? I was swimming about 2-3 weeks after I got it done, I assume you can put a plaster over it and it'll be fine, but I don't know.

Edit: As for cleaning materials, I've heard the best thing to use is salt water. I used contact lens solution, and it worked just fine.
Reply 8
I had mine done a few years ago and it was £30, I had mine done with a belly bar... I can't say I've ever heard of someone getting it done with a ring.
I would put off swimming for as long as possible, it could get infected which would not be nice!
.pushing.charlotte.

I had mine repierced and it was the only piercing I've had that's actually made me say 'ow'. Still wasn't terrible though, just hurt more than the first time, felt like it was tougher for her to get the needle through.
i had mine done two and a half years ago with a bar (ive never had a ring in the whole time) i used warm salt water to clean it however if you have any ear piercing solution that can work (i tried that too) umm i paid £25 for mine i think but that was at the most reputable piercing and tattoo place in the area, umm you can get it done cheaper but i would go by reputation rather than price i have no idea about swimming but i think i went 6 weeks after, pop in and ask they want your custom so they will be honest with you.

p.s not to put you off but mine did bleed when i had it done.
Reply 11
I'd advise against swimming because if your belly button gets infected the piercing is rejected, its very painful and can be very sore to repierce as it goes through scar tissue.

I bought cheap Savlon spray for my piercing, worked wonders and brill to use as its in a squirty bottle. Honestly though, clean it several times a day.

Mine cost £25, £15 if I chose a plain barbell, £20 for one gem in the belly bit and £25 for a jem in the top and belly bit.
Reply 12
.pushing.charlotte.

Nope didn't hurt anymore than the first time did.
Reply 13
About £30 for a bar with two jewels roughly.
All my friend who got it done with rings have now taken them out, both got badly infected and one them proceeded to be rejected.
Clean it with warm salt water.
Don't play with it!
And avoid sleeping on your front, belts that might catch it and swimming for at least two weeks til it begins to settle.

Also watch out for seatbelts in cars!!
You should never ever swim with a fresh piercing. A 6 month wait is a sensible time frame - navel piercings are reknowned for being troublesome (it's a surface piercing) so you should refrain from swimming for as long as humanly possible.

You won't get a ring. It's not an option.

And if you're going somewhere reputable, they won't hand you a bottle of 'cleaning solution' they'll tell you to boil the kettle, put a quarter of a teaspoon of rock/sea salt into a mug and use that once a day (or when it crusts up) but no more than twice a day.
1. I paid £30 all inclusive (but this was four years ago, so the price may have gone up since then).

2. I got a bar, not a ring.

3. I had to wait 6 weeks I think.
Reply 16
fizzylemon
Hi,

I want to get my belly button pierced and I just have a few questions for anyone who's had it done already

1) what is a reasonable price to pay for someone to do the piercing and for the belly bar/belly ring and cleaning materials they give you?

2)Do you have to get a belly ring to begin with because it's easier to clean- did any of you just get a belly bar straight away?

3) How soon after getting it done can you go swimming- (can you put a plaster over it if you need to swim regularly for work?)?

Would really appreciate any answers you've got!
Cheers
x

1. 25-35. Make sure you research a reputable piercer, don't go to a jeweller's. Make sure they don't do it with a piercing gun. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you want to know what to look out for, PM me and I'll elaborate.

2. A barbell is the most common initial jewellery as it's much easier to clean and doesn't knock about or get caught.

3. Most piercers don't recommend swimming until the piercing is fully healed, as the chlorine in pool water/various contaminants can seriously damage your piercing. An infection isn't fun. I'd wait until you no longer have to regularly swim (although my first instinct would be to get it done anyway, I love piercings!)
Ilora-Danon
You should never ever swim with a fresh piercing. A 6 month wait is a sensible time frame - navel piercings are reknowned for being troublesome (it's a surface piercing) so you should refrain from swimming for as long as humanly possible.

You won't get a ring. It's not an option.

And if you're going somewhere reputable, they won't hand you a bottle of 'cleaning solution' they'll tell you to boil the kettle, put a quarter of a teaspoon of rock/sea salt into a mug and use that once a day (or when it crusts up) but no more than twice a day.

6 months???

I haven't been recommended that long a wait for any piercing I've ever had
The Referee
6 months???

You're more than welcome to test out the theory of swimming with a fresh wound - that's your prerogative.

I've had my navel pierced and there's no way in hell I'd swim with it until it's fully healed. Mine took over 6 months to heal. They can be extremely temperamental piercings because they're effectively surface piercings.
The Referee
6 months???

To completely heal then that's probably average. I think it's between 3-12months for them to fully heal. Depends on the person.

Latest

Trending

Trending