The Student Room Group

About HL maths and TZ.

hey all

i did my HL maths P2 today, and screwed it up completely. I am in Hong Kong and should be TZ1. Its just ridiculously difficult and i have nvr ever seen questions like today's. I have done 15 past papers (both P2 and P1) and really put in the effort, and really need a good maths grade to meet my offers, but the outcome is horrible. just feel very disappointed, all my effort has gone down the drain.

and, wont it be really unfair if other TZ have an easier paper (which i really think will)? and we will be fitted to the same curve to generate our final IB grade?

PS: i did this many past papers, every single question with heart and soul.......... cos i quite like maths. and i really feel my effort is wasted.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I heard your paper was a bitch... However, next time, look in the top right corner of the exam, you are TZ2 like Europe....
Different time zones have different grade boundaries.. (which i think makes it even more unfair, especially considering that the overall trend seems to be that its easier to get 7's in TZ1 than TZ2...)
Reply 3
I did mine today and had TZ2. I don't know who prepared it but it was 100 times more difficult than all past papers. I was hoping for 5/6 and now I don't know if can even pass Maths:frown:((((((((((((((( please, they have to use new grade boundaries, otherwise...:/ btw to pass you have to have 4 or 3?I'm not quite sure
Reply 4
You can pass the diploma with a 2 under certain circumstances - read the vade mecum (or whatever they changed the name to).
Reply 5
I'm so damn pissed off at those exam makers. You know, it shouldn't be that hard to make papers with a similar difficulty each year. It's their job. Yet they can't manage it. That p2 was just ridiculous, as everyone else has said. The questions.... I'd never seen anything like them! I've done plenty of past papers, this was completely different.

Well, today just completely ruined my hopes of getting a good grade (I was happy with p1). If it's any consolation, I heard TZ1 p1 was difficult. And surely they have to lower the grade boundaries significantly, because this paper was so hard, right? Everyone in my class was angry, disappointed, just devastated.

(btw, as was mentioned above, they have different grade boundaries for TZ1 and 2.)
yeah I was pretty horrified to find that the boundary for a 7 could be almost 10 points lower in TZ1... took my Paper 2 TZ2 and it was difficult. really wonder if there is anyone who found it easy.
Reply 7
hannicz
I did mine today and had TZ2. I don't know who prepared it but it was 100 times more difficult than all past papers. I was hoping for 5/6 and now I don't know if can even pass Maths:frown:((((((((((((((( please, they have to use new grade boundaries, otherwise...:/ btw to pass you have to have 4 or 3?I'm not quite sure

you have to get a 3 to pass, and 12 overall in your higher subj i think. but if you take HL maths, im sure you are looking beyond a pass.

yeah, i am so disappointed today. walked into the exam hall with whole lot of confidence (esp after yesterday's P1) and wanted to get a 7 for it. but came out like an exhausted dog. :mad: :mad: :mad:

dont know which id**t prepared the paper, never ever so hard in any paper since 2004 (i did all past papers since then to 08)

PS: its pretty much that: my life is f***ed and my future is ruined.
Reply 8
hannicz

Same.

It was the hardest EVER. We didn't talk to each other after class, just went in our ways, but some people kinda cried. So did I.

It was bad . Bad ! Why can't they test the papers on the teachers before giving to us :'(

I hope they set new boundaries too!
Reply 9
It would be so lame to fail Maths with other grades being hopefully 7s. After paper 1 I wasn't satisfied, because I counted on something less difficult and I knew that I could do P1 better, but I wasn't desperate. Now I am....:frown:
Reply 10
kenbellston
you have to get a 3 to pass, and 12 overall in your higher subj i think. but if you take HL maths, im sure you are looking beyond a pass.

yeah, i am so disappointed today. walked into the exam hall with whole lot of confidence (esp after yesterday's P1) and wanted to get a 7 for it. but came out like an exhausted dog. :mad: :mad: :mad:

dont know which id**t prepared the paper, never ever so hard in any paper since 2004 (i did all past papers since then to 08)

But I have some good news, to console everyone else who just feels like crap right now! You can get a 2 in a HL and still get your diploma, provided you have 28 or more points in total. (still need 12 points in your 3 HLs, and all the other conditions). But if you get below 28 points, then, as you said, a 3 is the lowest in HL you can get.

Source: look up "diploma conditions" from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Diploma_Programme
Reply 11
kenbellston

Ditto. Don't know what to tell my unis :|
Reply 12
Everyone in my math class thought TZ2 was extraordinarily difficult, including myself. I was hoping for a 6, but I'd be happy with even a 5. I can now kiss my conditional offers away...
Reply 13
cnguyen
Everyone in my math class thought TZ2 was extraordinarily difficult, including myself. I was hoping for a 6, but I'd be happy with even a 5. I can now kiss my conditional offers away...

you mean different people in your sch do different TZ?
Student#1
Ditto. Don't know what to tell my unis :|

hey guys, it is NOT the end of the WOLRD OK!

1. Exams are just exams, what matters is what is in your brain to drive you to being successful...

2. You can always retake your exams if you are desperate.

3. Focus on your other subjects to compensate your loss on Maths!

GL guys.... Do not take things like this TOO seriously, your life is not going to be ruined for crying out loud!!

**** happens in life, get use it, if it isn't in your maths exam, it will be somewhere else...
Reply 15
I'm not going to study in the UK so I don't have to have a particular grade in maths but a) if I fail maths I won't get the Diploma so I can't study b) who will accept me to economics course with 3 in Maths:/
hannicz
I'm not going to study in the UK so I don't have to have a particular grade in maths but a) if I fail maths I won't get the Diploma so I can't study b) who will accept me to economics course with 3 in Maths:/

yes of course, it depends with what you are going to study afterwards.... Just forget maths for now and we will see when the results come in July :smile:
Reply 17
We (most people in grade) in Vienna (TZ2 i think?) also thought that this paper 2 was extremely hard....

If everyone in the world thinks so...would the grade boundaries (hopefully) go down?

Mat
TheGuerrilla
hey guys, it is NOT the end of the WOLRD OK!

1. Exams are just exams, what matters is what is in your brain to drive you to being successful...

2. You can always retake your exams if you are desperate.

3. Focus on your other subjects to compensate your loss on Maths!

GL guys.... Do not take things like this TOO seriously, your life is not going to be ruined for crying out loud!!

**** happens in life, get use it, if it isn't in your maths exam, it will be somewhere else...

This. Everything will be okay in the end, and if it isn't - then its not the end.
keepoffthelawn
This. Everything will be okay in the end, and if it isn't - then its not the end.

I don't get what you mean but if you are intending to say that I said everything is going to be ok, you misinterpreted my post...

Latest

Trending

Trending