diorbaby1687
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hi i thought we should start a revision thread for Film Studies as the exams not far off :woo:
im studying
-New Waves (A bout de souffle, Easy rider and chungking express)
-close study film- (all about my mother/ City of God)

-Shocking cinema
-censorship
-and Genre and auteur

anyone got any notes for the second exam?
would be really helpful as we've only just started learning for censorship and the genre and auteur section.

oh and i got a B in AS but really wanna aim for an A in A2
thanks in advance
hope to see people sharing ideas here
nataliex
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
I have been looking everywhere for a Film revision thread! Where is everyone!?
For FS5 I'm doing Surrealist and Fantasy cinema (Alice, Un Chien Andalou etc..) And World Cinema (Hero)
For FS6 It's Auteur, documentary and independent film!
AHH
I'd really like to get an A this year, I got an A in AS so fingers crossed! However, I'm completely stuck with auteur and independent. Along with Surrealism. AHH
x
jamieollie124
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nataliex)
I have been looking everywhere for a Film revision thread! Where is everyone!?
For FS5 I'm doing Surrealist and Fantasy cinema (Alice, Un Chien Andalou etc..) And World Cinema (Hero)
For FS6 It's Auteur, documentary and independent film!
AHH
I'd really like to get an A this year, I got an A in AS so fingers crossed! However, I'm completely stuck with auteur and independent. Along with Surrealism. AHH
x
Weird - There was tons of threads for my English exam last week but none for film.

How hard is surrealism! I'm doing Contemporary World Cinema (Show Me Love) and Surrealism (Phantom...) for FS5, and Shocking, Independent and Gendered for FS6.

Not too stressed over them yet, since I've got a little break 'til my next exam (Tuesday), but I find it pretty hard to remember everything. 3 essays in 2 hours seems beastly for FS6, hell of a lot of theory but as long as we can nail that and be familiar with our case study analysis it shouldn't be too bad!
I got a B too in AS, to be honest as long as I don't get a C in A2 I don't care too much, need a B for Uni and Film is my weakest subject...
MyBlueHeaven
Report 11 years ago
Im a bit confused about which sections are going to be in the exam
Surrealism (focus film Alice, also looking at Pans Labryinth, Easerhead and Un Chien Andalou)
World Cinema (City of God)
Censorship
Shock Cinema(American History X, Romper Stomper etc)
Auteur (Hitchcock)
Which is on Wednesday?
nataliex
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MyBlueHeaven)
Im a bit confused about which sections are going to be in the exam
Surrealism (focus film Alice, also looking at Pans Labryinth, Easerhead and Un Chien Andalou)
World Cinema (City of God)
Censorship
Shock Cinema(American History X, Romper Stomper etc)
Auteur (Hitchcock)
Which is on Wednesday?
Wednesday is FS5 which is surrealism & fantasy cinema and World cinema
Friday will be the 3 essays - Auteur censorship and shocking cinema (i'm doing documentary, independent & auteur)

Wednesdayis an hour and a half for 2 essays
and Friday is 2 hours for 3
nataliex
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jamieollie124)
Weird - There was tons of threads for my English exam last week but none for film.

How hard is surrealism! I'm doing Contemporary World Cinema (Show Me Love) and Surrealism (Phantom...) for FS5, and Shocking, Independent and Gendered for FS6.

Not too stressed over them yet, since I've got a little break 'til my next exam (Tuesday), but I find it pretty hard to remember everything. 3 essays in 2 hours seems beastly for FS6, hell of a lot of theory but as long as we can nail that and be familiar with our case study analysis it shouldn't be too bad!
I got a B too in AS, to be honest as long as I don't get a C in A2 I don't care too much, need a B for Uni and Film is my weakest subject...

I know, there is a real lack of film studies threads
Surrealism is evil, how are you revising for the exam tomorrow?
I blagged my A in film last year but it's so much harder this year. I'm not looking foward to Friday either...eek !
laughingwithpicasso
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
New Wave (Breathless, Chungking Express)
All About My Mother/The Edukators
Censorship
Early cinema before 1917
Performance studies

Anyone needs any guidance or anything, just ask. I got a B in AS and I'll probably get an A this year.
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find film pretty easy, but something irks me about these exams, I really need an A as I'm doing it at uni too! I'm doing:

New Waves (Chungking/Breathless/Festen)
City of God

Shocking Cinema
Auteur (Hitchcock)
Censorship

I think Censorship is the trickiest 'cos it's more about context than the films themselves.
sophielf
Report 11 years ago
yeah, censorship is the hardest
i'm doing, for the final exam this friday,
shocking cinema (brokeback mountain, passion of the christ and peeping tom)
censorship (clockwork orange and evil dead)
performance (robert de niro and guy pearce)

it's a pretty decent line up actually
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sophielf)
yeah, censorship is the hardest
i'm doing, for the final exam this friday,
shocking cinema (brokeback mountain, passion of the christ and peeping tom)
censorship (clockwork orange and evil dead)
performance (robert de niro and guy pearce)

it's a pretty decent line up actually
Brokeback Mountain... shocking?
sophielf
Report 11 years ago
yeah i know, its sooo hard trying to say its shocking today! its really not, its just the context thing an the contriversy that surrounded it
Secret Alphabets.
Report 11 years ago
our film teacher has basically chucked us in at the deep end.. done no work on FS6 apart from watching happiness and thelma and louise because we are focuing on gender, shock and regulation and censorship.

so if anyone can give me any help at all, like what films to focus on and why, that really would be amazing haha

thankyou
sophielf
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Secret Alphabets.)
our film teacher has basically chucked us in at the deep end.. done no work on FS6 apart from watching happiness and thelma and louise because we are focuing on gender, shock and regulation and censorship.

so if anyone can give me any help at all, like what films to focus on and why, that really would be amazing haha

thankyou
hmmm, censorship, good one to look at is clockwork orange, because there was hugge controversy about that, and look at the context of it, early 70s influenced by political sabotage in 60s, the w/c council scene gang violence and such... they weren't allowed to be screened and all that

hope thats gives you a lil head start
ayshcreamsoda
Report 11 years ago
does anyone have any notes on fandom? or auteur theory anything to help thanks =)
laughingwithpicasso
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
With censorship:

Try to put in some info about the BBFC in there, examiners like that apparently. So, define it (British Board of Film Classification) - classification is important. The BBFC describe themselves as a "classification board" not a "censoring board", what it does (applies age restrictions, recommends cutting or altering film to conform to guidelines), maybe some background info (created in 1912), it's an independent non-government body.

BBFC is weak - ratings can be overruled by local governments. So, with Spiderman, it was rated 12 but people under 12 wanted to see it so they created the 12A. Another example is "This Is England" which was given an 18 but up north local govts thought the film was necessary for young people to see as an educational tool and brought it down to a 15.

In censorship main themes are:
Violence (graphic representation and realism, audience effects etc.), corrupting the young, controversy and the press, sex and nudity, sexual violence, religion, glass, language.

In the film "Women in Love" (Russell, 1969) there's a controversial scene with two men wrestling naked with each other and the shots were darkened. The quality and integrity justified the controversial material.

This is also why "foreign films" get more lenient ratings. They have a niche audience, "intellectuals" will be viewing them and less prone to influence unlike the latest blockbuster which working class people will see and be influenced by (not my own opinion here, fyi).

Another film is "9 songs" which is about a relationships which shows explicit unsimulated sex but was passed by the BBFC because of the artistic merit.

The BBFC said "9 songs is wholly different in appearance, tone, intention and treatment from the sex works which the Board classifies either as 18 or R18"

You might wanna mention pre-code era in the US which refers to 1930-1934 which was a time when Hollywood was allowed to "get away with it". Pre-code era was a time of relaxed regulation. After 1934, Joseph Breen, a catholic priest, became the president of the code place (xD) and enforced it in response to the gangster genre.

Is censorship needed? Influence of films - killings etc. Oldboy might have influenced Cho Seung-Hui who killed those people at Virginia Tech.

How films avoid censorship - innuendo, cutting scenes, allusion. "The Big Sleep" for example, it alludes to sex by fading out and using suggestive language.

Censorship bias? The film "Boys don't cry" had to cut down the scene of a girl having an orgasm - showing intense pleasure. Sexist?

Omg, so much rambling but it helped my clear my head a little even if it's no use to you guys. ^^
diorbaby1687
Rep:
?
ahhh
its tomorrow
not feeling that bad about tommorows fs5 is easier i think
im watching easy rider now or my new wave section
good luck everyone
im sure it will be fine once your in there
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I prefer FS6 tbh, it's just City of God which throws me off, but I'm going to try and drill some sequences into my head right now! Though I'll probably get distracted... I've been trying to do it for 2 hours! Bah! I love New Waves though, even if it's just for Chungking and Breathless (the rest of my class hated the latter, but I found it charming in its own little way!)
laughingwithpicasso
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love all the new waves we studied. Especially mexican.
diorbaby1687
Rep:
?
i loved breathless too
city of god is one of my fav films now and theres so much to talk about with camera and narrative
our class also looked at all about my mother so ive got a choice really but im focused more on city of god
hope we get a nice question
laughingwithpicasso
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a little worried about Todo sobre mi madre, if I'm honest. Eek. Just don't think I have enough to talk about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.28%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.2%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.43%

Watched Threads