A2 Film Studies revision thread (WJEC)

Watch this thread
diorbaby1687
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Jacccckkkkkkk)
Glad you two did well! I'm moving onto censorship now, we covered three films for the 70s era and The Evil Dead for the Video Nasties, however on the mark schemes I've read it says the best candidates focused on two films, how many are you guys doing for this topic?
oh you mean for censorship?
i was gonna do loads actually
got quite a few
might talk about 4-5 if i have time and mentoin other names in passing
we did the exorcist for the video nasties
laughingwithpicasso
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jacccckkkkkkk)
Glad you two did well! I'm moving onto censorship now, we covered three films for the 70s era and The Evil Dead for the Video Nasties, however on the mark schemes I've read it says the best candidates focused on two films, how many are you guys doing for this topic?
Depending on the question but I usually do a older film (1930s) and a more contemporary example.
diorbaby1687
Rep:
yeah try foreign as well im going to add battleship potemkin if i can
a soviet silent film from 1925 (?date)
jamieollie124
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Not checked most of this thread since it seems pretty lively right now!

Anyone doing shocking, gendered or independent film on friday?

And to the guy who said how is brokeback mountain shocking (not sure who)... well... Do you really wanna see two gay guys getting intimate, with extreme close ups/gasps/moving bodies helping to achieve the passionate atmosphere? Nah, me neither!! lol
laughingwithpicasso
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Brokeback Mountain features less than 1 minute of gay sex. Much less a film about gay cowboys but more about cowboys who happen to be in love.

I don't find it shocking at all but then again I can see how it could shock some.
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
It contains much more straight sex, and the gay sex is pretty much just a few noises... Going into the cinema knowing what the film's about, I don't understand how anyone could find it shocking.
jamieollie124
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Oh I know, but to an easily offended spectator it can be shocking. To say the least, it can cross personal boundaries and cause offence, albeit to only 1 in 50 people. I'm adding it in my essay but only a small mention. Just so you guys know, I haven't studied/watched the whole film, only that extremely short sequence, so wouldn't know the context since I don't need to know it...
MyBlueHeaven
Report 12 years ago
The surrealism questions were terrible in my opinion! I really didnt know what to write. However City of God was good had alot to write on that. MY boyfriend totally freaked out though and only wrote a paragraph! Oh Noes!
As for censorship, we havent even looked at any specific films!
Chels201
Report 12 years ago
Ahhh.
In Jan I did; World Cinema(Show me love)
and German Expressionism and Soviet (Nosferatu & Strike)

Tomorrow I have;
Shocking Cinema (American History X, City of God)
Independant Cinema (Clerks, Timecode, Lars & The real girl)
Genre

I'm sooo confused!
Going to fail.
Anyone know where I can do some revision online?
#x
diorbaby1687
Rep:
ahh is everyone only doing like two films in each section 2mors cus i got quite alot of films

watching Lock, Stock now for shocking
and going over censorship
am feeling pretty ok atm
staygoldd
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'm sat here enjoying Natural Born Killers for the shocking question tomorrow. Knowing my luck it'll ask me to focus on The War Game or The Wicker Man, though. Ughhhhhhhhh.
I've also got to fit in The Piano and Holy Smoke this afternoon (bloody Jane Campion).
And then a question on independent cinema, which has gotta be the worst topic of the three.

Anyone know the grade boundaries? I need maybe a B or a C if I got a B in Wednesday's.
diorbaby1687
Rep:
(Original post by staygoldd)
I'm sat here enjoying Natural Born Killers for the shocking question tomorrow. Knowing my luck it'll ask me to focus on The War Game or The Wicker Man, though. Ughhhhhhhhh.
I've also got to fit in The Piano and Holy Smoke this afternoon (bloody Jane Campion).
And then a question on independent cinema, which has gotta be the worst topic of the three.

Anyone know the grade boundaries? I need maybe a B or a C if I got a B in Wednesday's.
on the 20 mark questions
i know that 16/20 is A grade
not sure about the rest
i just want an A :P
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Accoring to a Mark Scheme, in 2006 (though a few years ago, I can't find an up-to-date one) it was:
A - 37/50
B - 31
C - 25

With the 'Mean Mark Average' being 29. http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/public...-film-s-06.pdf
diorbaby1687
Rep:
ah the only bit im feeling worried about it genre and auteur
ws going to focus on auteur but didnt do so well in the mock dont know if i should pick genre instead ??
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
If you feel most comfortable with auteur - go with that definitely. Plus, did you get any constructive advice from your mock? I'm sure you'll be fine! Grade boundires look quite low, if you totally screw one of the topics up you can still scrape an A. Who are you doing for Auteur?

I'm still less comfortable with Censorship just because the questions have a lot more variety in the past. Ah well, we shall see!
diorbaby1687
Rep:
i was going to do Hitchcock, Juenet (maybe Burton if threre is time), and also artists like Dali and Warhol, i shall also mention tarintino as someone whose films i wouldnt see in context of auteur
yeah there was some criticism that i have to be more analytical so i think ill just go over what ive done but in depthwho are you going to mention?

Censorship yeah feeling a bit bad about that do you know what films your going to mention
ive got
The Exorcist
life of brian
battleship potemkin
spiderman
Crash (1996)
Platoon
Resivoir dogs
man bites dog
natural born killers
freaks
performance
this is england

actually that is quite alot :P
jus got to mention the contexts in which they were banned/classified and so on
also the BBFC and maybe the MPAA
Jacccckkkkkkk
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I was just going to focus my essay on Hitchcock as that's who we've been taught in class, then maybe bring in Wong Kar-Wai if I have time, or it proves relevant. If you have to be more analytical, try just rewatching key scenes from the films and making notes on them so you can talk about filmmaking techniques.

For censorship I'm focusing on Evil Dead, Exorcist, Clockwork, Straw Dogs. I might make reference to films like Spiderman-2, Battleship Potemkin, Pulp fiction, Antichrist (to be uber-modern!) again if it proves relevant. but I dunno... I'm sure it will be fine either way.
diorbaby1687
Rep:
hmm yh sounds good im ganna go with what i know then and go over some hitchcock
eek good luck
sounds like u got a good collection for censorship
MyBlueHeaven
Report 12 years ago
are we supposed to focus on actual films for censorship? We havent looked at any only heard the names of them eg I spit on your grave, Hannibal Holocaust and The Evil Dead not actually watched them or looked at them in any depth. I know about case studies such as the Jamie Bulger case and The Natural Born Killers case. Also I dont know anything for Auteurship as we did it back in AS and Shock is pretty low on notes inall. Apart from the type of shock, the domains and 2 focus films which are Rambo and Rise of the Footsoldier. Also know a bit about mean world syndrome and moral panics. Owt else we need? Please help!
laughingwithpicasso
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Censorship is very much opinion. And as such you can use a variety of case studies from your own experience/research. If it's any consolation, the BBFC website has a plethora of case studies regarding censorship as well as a time line.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (53)
34.64%
The paper was reasonable (61)
39.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
9.15%

Watched Threads