The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am sure there are more issues with the paper than just the Q12.
Reply 2
Didn't get that question with the i and j and 2sintheta either. urgh.
Reply 3
Student#1
I am sure there are more issues with the paper than just the Q12.

Ditto!

can we really talk now??
Reply 4
shinejuly
Ditto!

can we really talk now??

Not yet.
Reply 5
Q12 can go **** itself. On the whole, with the two exams, am I right in saying there was no integration by parts? And very little matrices (if at all? Where were the matrices? I can't remember). And little to do with planes and vectors, pretty much the easiest topic? (I think Q2 in P2 might have involved using the scalar product of direction vectors, but that was it. In the whole paper)

So obviously Q12 was ridiculous, but I was really annoyed with the drawing the graph thing in 13a. What was the point in that question?

*Enters equation into GDC, spends too long mechanically drawing out the axis, rubs out mistakes because doesn't read the scale they wanted, spends minutes finding the coordinates of the features of the graph, copies it down*
I mean, what was the point? Completely irrelevant to maths. Just a stupid question, I have no problem with them asking us to sketch a graphs to support our conclusions, but that was just an exercise in futility.

Edit: we can't talk? It says 24 hours passed...
I retried 2sin(theta) question at home and now I can solve it..it it not easy, but still I could manage it..damn it

the only my concern is no 12 and partially 13, which take 27 points off from my total.
Antrumf
Q12 can go **** itself. On the whole, with the two exams, am I right in saying there was no integration by parts? And very little matrices (if at all? Where were the matrices? I can't remember). And little to do with planes and vectors, pretty much the easiest topic? (I think Q2 in P2 might have involved using the scalar product of direction vectors, but that was it. In the whole paper)

So obviously Q12 was ridiculous, but I was really annoyed with the drawing the graph thing in 13a. What was the point in that question?

*Enters equation into GDC, spends too long mechanically drawing out the axis, rubs out mistakes because doesn't read the scale they wanted, spends minutes finding the coordinates of the features of the graph, copies it down*
I mean, what was the point? Completely irrelevant to maths. Just a stupid question, I have no problem with them asking us to sketch a graphs to support our conclusions, but that was just an exercise in futility.

don't know about the exact question but fully agreed :yep:
Reply 8
yodude888

yea, these were the questions i cudnt get, as well as the rate of change question and the counting principles question. :frown:
overall, i didn't find section A particularly pleasing..
Reply 9
BetterThanYesterday
don't know about the exact question but fully agreed :yep:

The last one..

It is VERY time intensive.. no math involved..

Calculator takes time to graph it.. and find intersections, I had to run the cursor everytime i wanted to find teh intersection close to a point

THIS BLOWS.
Reply 10
yodude888

Was that the one where they said the vector including 2sintheta or whatever was perpendicular to the line x+y=1 (y=-x+1). What I tried (it was probably wrong) was to use the scalar product, saying the direction vector of x+y=1 is (1i, -j) and then the scalar product of the direction vector of the line and the vector including 2sintheta is 0. Then solve for theta.
Reply 11
Antrumf

Not really, if you read the exact question, which i will tell you in 2.5 hours, there are more to the question which is more than the skills of drawing the graph like you did on paper 1: f(x) = kx^0.5
Reply 12
Antrumf
Was that the one where they said the vector including 2sintheta or whatever was perpendicular to the line x+y=1 (y=-x+1). What I tried (it was probably wrong) was to use the scalar product, saying the direction vector of x+y=1 is (1i, -j) and then the scalar product of the direction vector of the line and the vector including 2sintheta is 0. Then solve for theta.

That's what I did!
Reply 13
This. Paper. Was. A. jkdflksdfhakjgll;;;;!!!!

'Nuff said.
Reply 14
Hahaha!
All I can do is laugh. This paper was so ridiculous.
Out of a Math HL class of 12 students in my school, a whopping 0/12 students scored any more than 2/18 for the Q12. :mad:

I agree on the Q13 dilemma too! Time for the GDC to graph it was insanely long. And then trying to find an intersection was in vain, because they meet and not intersect. Result: "time waste"!

Section A was not any better either. Unfortunately.
My plan for this paper was to rush through Section A so I can get time to do Section B. By the looks of things this was not a very good idea...

The Vectors were not too bad, however, there was not enough time to do the reflection ^^..

In the rush and intimidation of the entire paper, I screwed up on many "supposedly" easy questions, such as the seating of the table and virus question!

IBO should improvise the grade boundaries. I really hope many teachers would send A LOT of feedback.
Antrumf

oh, i did it differently:
since y = -x+1
then the gradient must be -1, therefore the gradient of the normal is 1.
Then just divide the j part by the i part and make it equal to 1.
and then you get it.
and what did you guys get for the virus question - what was the % vaccinated?
Reply 17
You guys have no idea how happy I am to know that everyone found it exceptionally difficult! I mean I came out of the exam really shocked, I don't know about any of you but I found it much MUCH harder than any past paper I've ever solved. This really does blow!!
Section A was a complete disaster, and then you move on to section B and find that it's even worse!
They really ought to improvise boundries, or I'm screwed!
Oh and also, I hope paper 3 isn't nearly as tough, we're doing series and further differential equations for our option and it's one hard topic!
ltz_Raptor
Hahaha!
All I can do is laugh. This paper was so ridiculous.
Out of a Math HL class of 12 students in my school, a whopping 0/12 students scored any more than 2/18 for the Q12. :mad:

I agree on the Q13 dilemma too! Time for the GDC to graph it was insanely long. And then trying to find an intersection was in vain, because they meet and not intersect. Result: "time waste"!

Section A was not any better either. Unfortunately.
My plan for this paper was to rush through Section A so I can get time to do Section B. By the looks of things this was not a very good idea...

The Vectors were not too bad, however, there was not enough time to do the reflection ^^..

In the rush and intimidation of the entire paper, I screwed up on many "supposedly" easy questions, such as the seating of the table and virus question!

IBO should improvise the grade boundaries. I really hope many teachers would send A LOT of feedback.

I didn't get the virus question either. I tried it, but then when I couldn't get even part a) after a few minutes, I gave up since it was only worth 5 marks.
Reply 19
imahumaneater
oh, i did it differently:
since y = -x+1
then the gradient must be -1, therefore the gradient of the normal is 1.
Then just divide the j part by the i part and make it equal to 1.
and then you get it.

I liked the question, since part of it was in a vector form and you didn't even need to use really any vector operations :biggrin: