Turn on thread page Beta

what revision methods do you use and how many weeks before the exam do ya start watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i am doin a levels and wonderin what the best way to revise is. also how many weeks before the exam do you need to start revising in order to do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    i am doin a levels and wonderin what the best way to revise is. also how many weeks before the exam do you need to start revising in order to do well.
    Well I start early, and do it say every other night a few weeks before - about 5 weeks before, but you're doing A-levels and you should revise after every new topic you've learnt. It's best not to leave long gaps in between each revision session you have because you do tend to forget quickly if you don't keep sticking to it, well that's me anyway.
    Mmm the best way to revise..well it's different for everyone. Read through your notes, revision guides etc and then when you understand write down what you know. It's better if you write it down as it sinks in better. Then test yourself, beforehand you could prepare some questions and then when you have revised you could answer them.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    I start a few weels before exams and read over notes.

ReputationRep:
    yeah thanx for ya help

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at www.studysuccess.co.uk. It looks at revision methods and ways of improving your memory so you dont need to do so much repetition and cramming. Based on memory research and mnemonics.

ReputationRep:
    try that URL again - its studysuccess.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstie_jam)
    try that URL again - its studysuccess.co.uk
    its

http://www.studysuccess.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    different people have different methods. For instance i couldn't start properly revising a month before the exam becasue i would forget stuff.

Instead i probably worked harder than most people throuh the year and typed up my lecture notes with different colours, clipart and fonts. That way i was taking in the information form the lessons etc and it meant that i could revise from something that looked vaguely pretty at the end of the year. (now i'm at uni i'm still trying to do that but i havn't really got the time or the money to keep paying for colour cartridges). I also did lots and lots of practice papers and asked for extra quesitons from the teacher so that by the time the exam came i could roll off an essay easily.

Then i would read over my notes for the few weeks before the exams and then as soon as the exam period started i would go into major cramming mode. Normally i would cram for a partiucular subject either 1 or 2 days before the exam. This would normally involve making sure i stopped revising at midnight and then waking up the next morning at 5am.

This system worked for my in most of my subjects although i was so luckey with history becsause i left it too late and I had major gaps in my knowledge but cos i had done lots of preparatory work throughout the year i managed to blag it. However, i skrewed up my A2 chemistry because i didn't do so much work throughout the year and then i had a bit of a crisis in the morning and i couldn't cram (incidentally i was still crying when i sat the exam)

Hope thats been of some help but i think you've just got to find a way of revising that suits you personally.

ReputationRep:
    It should be a constant process, ideally. Review work regularly - reading through your notes every day (not the whole lot, obviously) is really the best way of doing it. It keeps you on top of things - so you don't have to do so much 'vision' when it comes to exam time.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    Well...i did not revise for my GCSES (honestly) and did not do too well. I decided that i was capable of getting As, and thought it was just the revision technique that i had to get hold over...i was wondering around Covent Garden it was in early 2001, anyhow, came across this second hand bookshop. I cannot resist buying books....anyways, on the shelf i stumbled upon Use Your Head by Tony Buzan. I read the introduction and the amazing story about Edward Hughes (who went to Cambridge)..and thought i would give it a go. I read the book around 3 times, consolidated all the information into mindmaps + set about completing my Alevels. I ended up doing really well, i got 4as and a B. I really suggest you get that book. Good LucK!

ReputationRep:
    that sounds a wee bit contrived

ReputationRep:
    What is do is, i start about 3 months early, and each week i make notes on certain modules. E.g week 1:module 1 psychology
    week 2:module 1 chemistry
    week 3: module 1 biology etc etc
    Then i leave my self 2 free weeks before the exam, in these i memorise definitions, do practice papers, make summary notes, ask teachers for help on things your stuck. THATS MY WAY!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    ideally its best to revise after each topic you do spread across the year, however i find that very hard to motivate myself to do, whatever good intentions i start with.

for me, i revise by just doing as many questions/past papers i can. it gives you a feel for the exam and questions that they might ask. I start my revision usually at the beginning of study leave, and only really hot it up a few days before the exam, that way things are still fresh in my mind. Doesn't work for everyone though!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.