Turn on thread page Beta

Is homosexuality genetic or environmental? watch

ReputationRep:
    although im not gay myself ive been wonderin about this issue for ages coz some ppl say its environmental but a teacher said its genetical. But how come ppl can suddenly switch frm one to another

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    But how come ppl can suddenly switch frm one to another
    its called puberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    although im not gay myself ive been wonderin about this issue for ages coz some ppl say its environmental but a teacher said its genetical. But how come ppl can suddenly switch frm one to another
    Part and part, I should imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Part and part, I should imagine.
    It's politically incorrect to say that it is environmental (at least here in Norway). That would be like suggesting that the parents of the child is responsible for his/her sexual orientation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    its called puberty.
    i know but even after puberty ppl cannot make their mind up

ReputationRep:
    Is homosexuality boring or uninteresting...

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    It's politically incorrect to say that it is environmental (at least here in Norway). That would be like suggesting that the parents of the child is responsible for his/her sexual orientation.
    I read an extract of a study which suggested if your siblings were predominantly the same sex as you there was an increased chance of you yourself being homosexual.

I realise that may be considered controversial, but it was a credible study with legitimate reasoning. Obviously though, this isn't the only factor, or a higher proportion of the population would be homosexual.

Furthermore, considering we don't know what makes one person homosexual, and another not, it's illogical to dismiss either genetics or environment as possible cause.

ReputationRep:
    nobody heard of Xq28 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    nobody heard of Xq28 then?
    Just looked it up.

Cheers for that, I had no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Environmental - if sexual preference was genetic, then would we not have 50% homosexual 50% straight as is the case for gender?

ReputationRep:
    Environmental - if sexual preference was genetic, then would we not have 50% homosexual 50% straight as is the case for gender?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam-jones)
    No. Nor is 50% of the population male -there are more females then males.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    By that logic 50% of the population would have cystic fibrosis (a genetic disease)...just because something is effected by your genetic makeup doesn't mean it will be split 50-50...unless you are talking about a population with only one pair of chromasomes.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, no... not quite.

On the assumption there are only three eye colours (blue, brown, green)... if the gene giving green eye colour wasn't present in either of your parents then it's not as if you'd have a 1/3 chance of having green eyes, now would you?

ReputationRep:
    hehe genetical is that even a word. anyway this really isnt interesting or new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    btw genetical not a real word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    According to some academics, homosexuality is neither a result of environment nor genetics, but rather a mental illness - I'm only the messenger, don't shoot me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    According to some academics, homosexuality is neither a result of environment nor genetics, but rather a mental illness - I'm only the messenger, don't shoot me!!
    Don't worry I wont shoot you, but I might be inclined to shoot them!

ReputationRep:
    Calm down, I am no geneticist , but thanks for the fiery response.
    Are you implying that there is a gene that either makes us straight or gay, if this is the case then why are the chances not 50/50?

I appreciate that susceptibility to Cystic fibrosis is not 50/50, it stems from a particular combination of chromosomes doesn’t it? But like gender, we are either or, so we are either gay or not gay. Does that not leave a 50% chance – if genes are the source of sexuality?
    (i think i need a GCSE biology lesson )

ReputationRep:
    genetic or experience, still isnt quite right to me.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.