Turn on thread page Beta

Is homosexuality genetic or environmental? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam-jones)
    Calm down, I am no geneticist , but thanks for the fiery response.
    Are you implying that there is a gene that either makes us straight or gay, if this is the case then why are the chances not 50/50?

I appreciate that susceptibility to Cystic fibrosis is not 50/50, it stems from a particular combination of chromosomes doesn’t it? But like gender, we are either or, so we are either gay or not gay. Does that not leave a 50% chance – if genes are the source of sexuality?
    (i think i need a GCSE biology lesson )
    Assuming that this gene occurs on the X chromosome (if it occured on the Y chromosome then the 'faulty' version of the gene would become extinct because people who inherited it would not pass on their genes to future generations). This suggests transmissin down the female line. It is not whether or not you have the gene but the sequence of the gene which is alleged to cause the traits of homosexuality. Therefore, everybody will have a copy of it but only 1 in so many people will have the version which causes homosexuality. And this is only a theory, there is little proof for the actual effects of this gene. Another more plausible theory is that genes on the Y chromosome code for proteins which cause the masculinisation of the brain and genitals whilst in the womb. However, the effect may be countered by an immune response from the mother, meaning that a child could have male physiology without complete masculinisation of their brain if the response is too strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Assuming that this gene occurs on the X chromosome (if it occured on the Y chromosome then the 'faulty' version of the gene would become extinct because people who inherited it would not pass on their genes to future generations). This suggests transmissin down the female line. It is not whether or not you have the gene but the sequence of the gene which is alleged to cause the traits of homosexuality. Therefore, everybody will have a copy of it but only 1 in so many people will have the version which causes homosexuality. And this is only a theory, there is little proof for the actual effects of this gene. Another more plausible theory is that genes on the Y chromosome code for proteins which cause the masculinisation of the brain and genitals whilst in the womb. However, the effect may be countered by an immune response from the mother, meaning that a child could have male physiology without complete masculinisation of their brain if the response is too strong.
    thanks much clearer now

ReputationRep:
    there is research to suggest that foetuses that get a large dose of testosterone in the womb grow up to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    there is research to suggest that foetuses that get a large dose of testosterone in the womb grow up to be gay.
    Surely testosterone would make them not gay as it is a male hormone.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter? If people are happy then leave em to it - that's what I say.

ReputationRep:
    Surely testosterone would make them not gay as it is a male hormone.
    female hormones are a contraceptive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    female hormones are a contraceptive
    yes......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam-jones)
    Environmental - if sexual preference was genetic, then would we not have 50% homosexual 50% straight as is the case for gender?
    Haha sam, no offense but you're a moron.

Think about it how many children are a gay couple going to have?? Think how many genes are going to be passed on to the next generation. Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tealer)

Think about it how many children are a gay couple going to have?? Think how many genes are going to be passed on to the next generation. Think about it.

LOL

That is very true! Well spotted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tealer)

could the gene not be subpressive and be in everyone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    could the gene not be subpressive and be in everyone ?
    The gene is in everyone. The only way it could not be in everyone would be if it were on the Y chromosome (in which case it would be exclusive to males) but that is obviously impossible. It is not a case of having the gene or not, but the exact base sequence of the gene which supposedly 'codes' for homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    The gene is in everyone. The only way it could not be in everyone would be if it were on the Y chromosome (in which case it would be exclusive to males) but that is obviously impossible. It is not a case of having the gene or not, but the exact base sequence of the gene which supposedly 'codes' for homosexuality.
    assuming there is a gene...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    assuming there is a gene...
    The existence of the gene is not disputed. There is a long sequence of bases which has been named 'Xq28', although I don't believe that it actually causes homosexulaity.

ReputationRep:
    its both.
    the gay people who feel like a woman are gentically like that because theyre genes messed up and they have a XXY gene thingy instead of XY which means they have male organs but feel feminine.
    otherwise, it is environmental because its just something you choose and it is your own personality and tastes.
    (has just been doing about it in bio tehe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looci)
    its both.
    the gay people who feel like a woman are gentically like that because theyre genes messed up and they have a XXY gene thingy instead of XY which means they have male organs but feel feminine.
    otherwise, it is environmental because its just something you choose and it is your own personality and tastes.
    (has just been doing about it in bio tehe)
    I don't agree with the latter half of what you have said. I have never personally come across anybody who has 'chosen' to be gay. The choices you make are controlled by instinct and for you to make such a choice you would need to be homosexually predisposed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the latter half of what you have said. I have never personally come across anybody who has 'chosen' to be gay. The choices you make are controlled by instinct and for you to make such a choice you would need to be homosexually predisposed.
    have you ever heard of straight people choosing to be gay?

ReputationRep:
    I think it must be genetic.. but I don't think anyone can say for sure. I'm no way against gay's or lesbian's because a lot of them are decent people.. but I get confused about the whole bi thing..

ReputationRep:
    instinct thats an ambigous word people who make the choice to be gay could say the had a feelnig or instinct, so it can be environmental

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    instinct thats an ambigous word people who make the choice to be gay could say the had a feelnig or instinct, so it can be environmental
    What this all boils down to is whether there is such a thing as free will. And instincts are not necessarily environmental, but can be innate. They are simply congnitive processes which bypass conscious thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I think it must be genetic.. but I don't think anyone can say for sure. I'm no way against gay's or lesbian's because a lot of them are decent people.. but I get confused about the whole bi thing..
    whats confusing about being bi? you like boys AND girls,
    simple as that

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.