The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ralfskini
What this all boils down to is whether there is such a thing as free will. And instincts are not necessarily environmental, but can be innate. They are simply congnitive processes which bypass conscious thought.

so basically in your opinon you are born gay but may not know it because onconsciuosly these process affect you etc, is there any proof to back this up or relative scientific study
hotnanoo
so basically in your opinon you are born gay but may not know it because onconsciuosly these process affect you etc, is there any proof to back this up or relative scientific study

No. In my opinion you are born gay and I'd imagine you do know it.
Reply 42
I think its basicaly down to who you fancy. You can't control who you fancy. You can't force yourself to find an ugly woman attractive. In the same way that a gay person can't force themselves to find the opposite sex attractive.
:P:P:P:P:P
I think its basicaly down to who you fancy. You can't control who you fancy. You can't force yourself to find an ugly woman attractive. In the same way that a gay person can't force themselves to find the opposite sex attractive.

But this is a good thing. The fact that humans are unnatracted to ugly people means that they wont proliferate and will be gradually wiped out by natural selection until the human race consists only of good looking people. I call this 'ralfskini's theory of human purification'. The only flaw is that ugly people may mate amongst each other..............
Reply 44
Ralfskini
But this is a good thing. The fact that humans are unnatracted to ugly people means that they wont proliferate and will be gradually wiped out by natural selection until the human race consists only of good looking people. I call this 'ralfskini's theory of human purification'. The only flaw is that ugly people may mate amongst each other..............

LOL

I like the way you refer to ugly people reproducing as 'mating' ... as if they are animal-like ... LOL
:P:P:P:P:P
LOL

I like the way you refer to ugly people reproducing as 'mating' ... as if they are animal-like ... LOL

It's a nice thought for the betterment of humanity.
Reply 46
Linda
It's politically incorrect to say that it is environmental (at least here in Norway). That would be like suggesting that the parents of the child is responsible for his/her sexual orientation.

Actually, the parent may be responsible. It is shown through clinical, and nuture vs. nature psychological testing that the parent is who forms the mind of the child. As the mind grows in a child, it is influenced by those around him. For example, a friend of mine (who will remain nameless) Announced to his mother, a stict woman who raised him to be the all American boy, that he was Gay. She immediately responded by saying that he must be going through a stage a needed to go to a psychologist. Subconsiously, he had been influenced by his mothers behavior which, may or may not have led to him becoming homosexual. Environment is what shapes a mind, whether you are in Norway or America.
Reply 47
QUOTE=emmz]although im not gay myself ive been wonderin about this issue for ages coz some ppl say its environmental but a teacher said its genetical. But how come ppl can suddenly switch frm one to another

There is a lot of scientific info on the internet about this (as opposed to the opinion of chats and posts). To date, no one has proven a genetic cause. In fact, the evidence points decidedly away from a genetic cause. The xq28 gene theory has been disproved. The researcher was a gay activist who got the results he was looking for. As you know, the scientist must not have a vested interest in the results.

Psychology has more or less ( I say more or less because psychology is a psuedo science, unlike physics) determined it to be a misprogramming that takes place in childhood. It is not entirely understood why one might be seemingly straight after becoming sexually active and then go gay. The prevailing thinking is that the desire to conform to social norms overides the homosexual attractions until a point is reached where the individual has to admit to oneself that the preference is really same sex. This opinion is supported by many gay people.

Prior to 1975 (or so) American psychiatrists considered homosexuality to be a mental illness. After many years of poor results with therapy it was declassified as a mental illness. Some programming is very difficult to undo. For instance, men who sek the services of a dominatrix are also almost totally resistant to treatment.

In the light of this information we must all come to terms with accepting homosexuality as something that is no more right or wrong than any of the many other forms of victimless childhood misprogramming, most of which do not have labels. Contrast that with abused children who grow up to abuse their children. This is an example of victim producing misprogramming that society must address and seek to eliminate.

Seek facts, not opinions.

RH
i think that its more of an environmental effect, having said that ......i also think that genes contribute some part !!!
Reply 49
prince_capri
i think that its more of an environmental effect, having said that ......i also think that genes contribute some part !!!

what makes you think there is a genetic component?

A general criticism I have about the posts on this issue is that few have offered anything other than an unqualified opinion. I came to this website by accident while doing other research. I think I am in the kiddie pool.

RH
Linda
It's politically incorrect to say that it is environmental (at least here in Norway). That would be like suggesting that the parents of the child is responsible for his/her sexual orientation.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What's more important: political correctness or scientific truth? You can't ignore the facts just because you don't like them.
Reply 51
Rob Harvey

A general criticism I have about the posts on this issue is that few have offered anything other than an unqualified opinion. I came to this website by accident while doing other research. I think I am in the kiddie pool.

RH

Funnily enough, this is a forum for school children. Don't be surprised by any lack of cutting-edge theory.
Reply 52
Does it matter?

From what I understand there have been a lot of psychological studies that "prove" the environmental theory and just as many genetic studies that "prove" the gene theory.

But, really, who cares? Why does this question fascinate so?
Ralfskini
No. In my opinion you are born gay and I'd imagine you do know it.

yes i agree.

and it sort of comes out more once u get older.....
Rob Harvey

How the hell can there be a genetic component in homosexuality?

It's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.
Reply 55
thefish_uk
How the hell can there be a genetic component in homosexuality?

It's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

Are you a genetic engineer? What do you know that a lot of scientists (who seem to think researching a genetic link to homosexuality is worthwhile), don't?

I'm not saying you're not right! But what qualifies you to dismiss the idea outright?

Seems to me that everyone is being a bit too subjective. The truth is, nobody really knows, and the two theories have been competing for over 40 years.

I doub't anybody here is qualified enough to accept or dismiss either theory.
Howard
Are you a genetic engineer? What do you know that a lot of scientists (who seem to think researching a genetic link to homosexuality is worthwhile), don't?

I'm not saying you're not right! But what qualifies you to dismiss the idea outright?

Seems to me that everyone is being a bit too subjective. The truth is, nobody really knows, and the two theories have been competing for over 40 years.

Probably both u know
Reply 57
Sam-jones
Calm down, I am no geneticist , but thanks for the fiery response.
Are you implying that there is a gene that either makes us straight or gay, if this is the case then why are the chances not 50/50?

I appreciate that susceptibility to Cystic fibrosis is not 50/50, it stems from a particular combination of chromosomes doesn’t it? But like gender, we are either or, so we are either gay or not gay. Does that not leave a 50% chance if genes are the source of sexuality?
(i think i need a GCSE biology lesson :wink: )

If you are either Gay or Not Gay, what about bisexuality?

What about a gay person who has had experiences with the opposite sex? Or a straight person who has had feelings for people of the same sex.

There is no black and white. There's just a whole lot of grey.

I believe that there are genetic and environmental factors, like with all personality traits. For example alcoholism (not suggesting that homosexuality is the smae sort of bad thing as alcoholism)
There is s gene which can make people more likely to become alcoholic. Not everyone with the gene is alcoholic. Not every alcoholic has the gene. but the percentage of alchoholics with the gene is higher than the percentage of the genreal population with the gene.

Interestingly, transgender people (usually males who feel that they are females) often actually have a different brain structure to other men. this shows that there is a definate physical difference...

Also, in my experience, all my male gay friends have feet size 6 or smaller! I think someone should do a study. (but also, all the computer programmers i know also have small feet....)
emmz
although im not gay myself ive been wonderin about this issue for ages coz some ppl say its environmental but a teacher said its genetical. But how come ppl can suddenly switch frm one to another

If it was entirely genetic then it wouldn't really create a viable line now would it?
J
Howard

Yeah well. It just doesn't go, logically, does it?

Latest

Trending

Trending