Turn on thread page Beta

PGCE 'notoriously difficult'...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is the PGCE notoriously difficult?

I'm seriously considering doing a PGCE for the obvious benefits, but everyone I tell they say "noo its sooo difficult".

I imagine it is, but I don't know whether it's the physical strain, the marking, prep, etc or the academic strain.

I really don't want to spend a year doing academic research, essays, etc, i'd rather it be like a job, where it's more of a physically demanding job than an intellectual one.

Any advice welcome, cheers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by duke5)
    I really don't want to spend a year doing academic research, essays, etc, i'd rather it be like a job, where it's more of a physically demanding job than an intellectual one.
    You may be mistaking teaching with bricklaying.

ReputationRep:
    Try going down the GTP route then?! It's on the job training and you get the salary from day one, I think it's about 15 grand but I could be wrong.

It's only hard because there's alot crammed into one year - if it was spread over 3, then it'd be fine... But a BEd obviously :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so how is it structured, how intense is it? What does it involve, which parts really grind you down, etc etc

Im just trying to get a picture of what it involves.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    Ok, so how is it structured, how intense is it? What does it involve, which parts really grind you down, etc etc

Im just trying to get a picture of what it involves.

Thanks
    I'll use my own PGCE as an example - I'm sure others may differ though.

Start: September - spend 6 weeks at uni.

SE1: school experience 1 lasts 5 weeks. Teach 20 - 40% of timetable

Christmas hols

Uni again for 6 weeks

SE2: lasts 4 weeks. Teach 40 - 60% of timetable

Easter hols

Uni again for 6 weeks

SE3: lasts 6 weeks. Teach 60 - 80% of timetable

Summer hols

------ end of PGCE ------

During the time at uni expect to do essays and assignments based on pedagogy and lesson planning. You will have more if you want to do the Masters and if you want the Catholic Partnership Certificate.

Being at uni is very hard - days are long, mine are 6 hours. Add lesson planning to this and presentations and it does get draining. However as time goes by and it gets a bit easier, it becomes more fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Try going down the GTP route then?! It's on the job training and you get the salary from day one, I think it's about 15 grand but I could be wrong.

It's only hard because there's alot crammed into one year - if it was spread over 3, then it'd be fine... But a BEd obviously :p:
    I was just wondering, why do most people choose to do a PGCE rather than a GTP? Is it only because the GTP is a lot more stressful, or are there other reasons? Also, do you know if it's too late to apply for a GTP for September 2009? Because I know it's not for PGCE so I assume they have similar deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer_l85)
    I was just wondering, why do most people choose to do a PGCE rather than a GTP? Is it only because the GTP is a lot more stressful, or are there other reasons? Also, do you know if it's too late to apply for a GTP for September 2009? Because I know it's not for PGCE so I assume they have similar deadlines.
    Because by comparison there are significantly less GTP places.
    There are only 6 for example available for the entire borough I live in across all subject areas. Its not a case of you get to chose which one you want and you'll get it, alot of people look for both and dont get a GTP (of the people ive spoken to anyway)

Whether its too late or not will depend on which subject you want a place for and how much competition there is where you live. You will stand a better chance if you wish to teach a priority subject id have thought. Most GTP places are applied for well in advance apparently a year or so, so you'd probably be lucky to get one now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Is there anyone whos now doing their teacher training? Because I am writing on my final exam paper and want to compare the english and german teacher training. Its about the competences which you need to feel less stressed. Maybe there is someone who would like to fill in my questionnaire!?

Would be very nice. Just give me your mail adress and will send it to you!

Cheers Julia Albrecht

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    Because by comparison there are significantly less GTP places.
    There are only 6 for example available for the entire borough I live in across all subject areas. Its not a case of you get to chose which one you want and you'll get it, alot of people look for both and dont get a GTP (of the people ive spoken to anyway)

Whether its too late or not will depend on which subject you want a place for and how much competition there is where you live. You will stand a better chance if you wish to teach a priority subject id have thought. Most GTP places are applied for well in advance apparently a year or so, so you'd probably be lucky to get one now.

Are you aware that you can sort out your own GTP place by contacting schools directly? That's how most people do it in Brum anyway.

I've not met anyone who wanted to do a GTP and didn't get it.

ReputationRep:
    The simple fact that the PGCE is a qualification - it can be or is leading to a Masters Degree. A GTP on the other hand is not. It is on the job training and people who choose to do it get a salary from day one (cerca 15 grand I think). A PGCE can also be used to get a teaching job abroad (note. not all countries but certainly in schools using the British National Curriculum), where as the GTP is not valid or recognised.

The GTP is by no means more stressful, more intense I imagine it is - but both are very sressful for different reasons. A PGCE involves more essays and uni work (presentations, micro-teaching and general pedagogy 'stuff').

I don't know about applying for GTPs I'm sorry, but I'm sure if you set up a thread asking you'd find the answer out. Perhaps if you are already working in a school you think would have you then you'd be able to do it for Sept 2009. With GTPs it's about who you know, not what you know so building a solid contact list is necessary.

There will be many places coming up for PGCEs beginning in 09 during clearing.You can find these on the www.gttr.ac.uk website.

ReputationRep:
    There is another way to become qualified as a teacher on a SCITT course which is a mixture of the two (PGCE and GTP)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I was on the GTP and my provider also offered the PGCE. Sometimes we had joint lectures with the PGCE students.

The difference between the GTP and PGCE students was very apparent and striking. The PGCE students seemed just like normal university students - laughing, laidback, talking about things unrelated to teaching, and planning regular nights out together. The GTP students on the other hand were constantly stressed (most of us worked 12-15 hour days daily), never talked about anything other than teaching, and we never had any nights out together. The PGCE students also finished their courses a month earlier than the GTP students (sometime in June as opposed to the end of July) and got "study weeks" off every term.

Needless to say, the PGCE didn't look "notoriously difficult" from where I was standing, but no teaching course is ever going to be easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I was on the GTP and my provider also offered the PGCE. Sometimes we had joint lectures with the PGCE students.

The difference between the GTP and PGCE students was very apparent and striking. The PGCE students seemed just like normal university students - laughing, laidback, talking about things unrelated to teaching, and planning regular nights out together. The GTP students on the other hand were constantly stressed (most of us worked 12-15 hour days daily), never talked about anything other than teaching, and we never had any nights out together. The PGCE students also finished their courses a month earlier than the GTP students (sometime in June as opposed to the end of July) and got "study weeks" off every term.

Needless to say, the PGCE didn't look "notoriously difficult" from where I was standing, but no teaching course is ever going to be easy.

This is certainly not the case on my course. We don't finish until mid-july (one whole week before the end of term to be precise).

"Normal uni students" is also way off the mark. The age range on my course is 20 years. Two thirds of the course are 'all grown up' with families etc and thus do not have "regular nights out". When on placement no-one goes out.

I would also like to point out that so far we have had to hand in over 15,000 words in essays, schemes of work and resource packs.

Anyone on a GTP who thinks they have it hard, just has a chip on their shoulder because they aren't doing a PGCE.

Oh and lastly... I have not had one "study week" off all year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)

Sorry? What was that you quoted me on and then deleted?

ReputationRep:
    So why is the PGCE so difficult, please can people be specific, is it all the essays and learning schemes or what?

Or is it the work itself.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duke5)
    So why is the PGCE so difficult, please can people be specific, is it all the essays and learning schemes or what?

Or is it the work itself.

Thanks
    Read the previous posts.

... it's a heck of a lot of work (both uni and teaching) in a very short amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    The simple fact that the PGCE is a qualification - it can be or is leading to a Masters Degree. A GTP on the other hand is not. It is on the job training and people who choose to do it get a salary from day one (cerca 15 grand I think). A PGCE can also be used to get a teaching job abroad (note. not all countries but certainly in schools using the British National Curriculum), where as the GTP is not valid or recognised.

The GTP is by no means more stressful, more intense I imagine it is - but both are very sressful for different reasons. A PGCE involves more essays and uni work (presentations, micro-teaching and general pedagogy 'stuff').

I don't know about applying for GTPs I'm sorry, but I'm sure if you set up a thread asking you'd find the answer out. Perhaps if you are already working in a school you think would have you then you'd be able to do it for Sept 2009. With GTPs it's about who you know, not what you know so building a solid contact list is necessary.

There will be many places coming up for PGCEs beginning in 09 during clearing.You can find these on the www.gttr.ac.uk website.
    Thanks for your reply. I guess the idea of getting a salary straight away is appealing, but it seems like there are more PGCE places available. Do PGCE students all get a grant, or is that just for priority subjects?

ReputationRep:
    All PGCE'ers get a grant. the amount depends on the subject

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. I guess the idea of getting a salary straight away is appealing, but it seems like there are more PGCE places available. Do PGCE students all get a grant, or is that just for priority subjects?
    They all get a grant but also have to pay tuition fees! So that pretty much equals out as nothing...

I wouldn't have said that there were more PGCE places neccessarily. I've never been in a school on placement that hasn't had a GTP student there too. But I imagine that many of those GTPers get it through their own contacts with schools.

ReputationRep:
    For the grant it may equal as as nothing but not when you add in the bursary you get i.e £6,000 or £9,000

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.