Turn on thread page Beta

Hi watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I belong to a group, maybe a social group which many people do not like. I was recently attacked for belonging to this social group (and I am still recovering from this incident). Everyday, I expect some form of hostility from passers by, be it physical or mental; the extremely disturbing way they look at me. I expect to be harrased at least once a month. I keep a low profile in the hope I can avoid attention. Why? It is because I am infact a muslim, who wears a veil.

I believe you are the voters of the future. I want to ask you how you perceive my religion, Islam. I expect hostility and will respect your views but all I ask is that you give some explanation rather than simply use rude words. Please also link the tragic events of 9/11; your views on terrorism; and how you perceive Islam in general.

Thank You,

Mariam Safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M Safe)
    I belong to a group, maybe a social group which many people do not like. I was recently attacked for belonging to this social group (and I am still recovering from this incident). Everyday, I expect some form of hostility from passers by, be it physical or mental; the extremely disturbing way they look at me. I expect to be harrased at least once a month. I keep a low profile in the hope I can avoid attention. Why? It is because I am infact a muslim, who wears a veil.

I believe you are the voters of the future. I want to ask you how you perceive my religion, Islam. I expect hostility and will respect your views but all I ask is that you give some explanation rather than simply use rude words. Please also link the tragic events of 9/11; your views on terrorism; and how you perceive Islam in general.

Thank You,

Mariam Safe
    There is militants/extremists in every religion, what people need to understand is that these views do not apply to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with Muslims...I have a problem with terrorists. Some people are so uneducated that they mistake the two for the same thing - which is a shame for a lot of people who share your faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    There is militants/extremists in every religion, what people need to understand is that these views do not apply to everyone.
    yes however whether this is due to media representation or otherwise, we never hear of and islamic leader speaking out for the positive things - perhaps this is why many people have negative views of islam - or whether few muslims do i do not know.

also bad images of islam come from those countries who for whatever "reasons" oppress women and generally live in a backwards repressive state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    ...also bad images of islam come from those countries who for whatever "reasons" oppress women and generally live in a backwards repressive state.
    Yeah some of these countries are DEVELOPING which means they do not have the resources to live otherwise. You can only kill off tradition if you have the money to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the majority of people are anti-islam and those who are are ignorant of the fact that Islam is not a part of terrorism. A lot of terrorists just use Islam as an excuse for their actions.

What I dont understand about Islam is their repression of women and the fact that women must cover up in the presence of men. I don't agree with it as I believe men and women are equal. Apart from this I do believe that the religion promotes good values. Sorry to hear about your experiences but don't be a victim by feeling afraid of the minority of biggots who won't far in life.

ReputationRep:
    Stereotyping, thats what it is really about. It is a very human thing, when I looked at your little picture, I was terrified of you! (But I am sure you are very nice!). I sort of see where people are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Lory)
    Yeah some of these countries are DEVELOPING which means they do not have the resources to live otherwise. You can only kill off tradition if you have the money to do so.
    while these countries may be poor it should have no bearing on how civilised they are - many middle east states are rich from oil yet are some of the most nasty oppressive places you could go. I am not someone who is here to "bash" islam its a religion like any other, however developing as a country is not as excuse for centuries of small minded oppression.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with Muslims...I have a problem with terrorists. Some people are so uneducated that they mistake the two for the same thing - which is a shame for a lot of people who share your faith.
    Yes, I agree. I would also like to point out that terrorists can not be muslim, the two are non mutuaklly exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    while these countries may be poor it should have no bearing on how civilised they are - many middle east states are rich from oil yet are some of the most nasty oppressive places you could go. I am not someone who is here to "bash" islam its a religion like any other, however developing as a country is not as excuse for centuries of small minded oppression.
    Hmmm I dunno. I have a lot of issues with feminism. Sometimes I think feminism is just so crap - it never works anyway because to be successful we are expected to behave like men.
    Ok I'll shut up...I just feel that a lot of countries don't have the resources to enable gender equality.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree. I would also like to point out that terrorists can not be muslim, the two are non mutuaklly exclusive.
    i think the sad fact is that a terrorist can be of any religion or non religion - their beliefs are just extreme enough for them to act in the unacceptable way that they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    yes however whether this is due to media representation or otherwise, we never hear of and islamic leader speaking out for the positive things - perhaps this is why many people have negative views of islam - or whether few muslims do i do not know.

also bad images of islam come from those countries who for whatever "reasons" oppress women and generally live in a backwards repressive state.

It is an unforutnate fact that most muslim states are repressive. I would say it is a cultural thing, not a religious one. Also, I hope don't cause controversy by saying this, most of this states where set up by the US for their interests. Please bear this in mind.

ReputationRep:
    It is an unforutnate fact that most muslim states are repressive. I would say it is a cultural thing, not a religious one. Also, I hope don't cause controversy by saying this, most of this states where set up by the US for their interests. Please bear this in mind.
    yes undoubtably there is much of the culture involved and i wouldnt attempt to seek islam as the cause of this oppression - however this does lead to peoples perceptions and perhaps the thought that in more repressive cultures religions such as islam may aid in this repression - after all christianity used to be seen as the "repressive" religion while sciences and mathematics flourished under the then seen as more liberal islam.

As for US interests i dont think you have a valid point there really - i cant say the US have always acted selflessly but an example for your point would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I don't think the majority of people are anti-islam and those who are are ignorant of the fact that Islam is not a part of terrorism. A lot of terrorists just use Islam as an excuse for their actions.

What I dont understand about Islam is their repression of women and the fact that women must cover up in the presence of men. I don't agree with it as I believe men and women are equal. Apart from this I do believe that the religion promotes good values. Sorry to hear about your experiences but don't be a victim by feeling afraid of the minority of biggots who won't far in life.
    You seem to be very thoughful Elle. Thank you.

There is no obligation on women to cover up; the Koran says that we should dress modestly, as should men. Islam in no way suggest that men are superior to women. That is the worst misconception of them all.

ReputationRep:
    Stereotyping, thats what it is really about. It is a very human thing, when I looked at your little picture, I was terrified of you! (But I am sure you are very nice!). I sort of see where people are coming from.
    That is not me in the picture, for your information.
    Oh and I am nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    As for US interests i dont think you have a valid point there really - i cant say the US have always acted selflessly but an example for your point would be nice.
    Sure. Take the Iraq war. There is one contract held by ameircan companies (for reconstruction work) for every ten soldiers in Iraq. I won't say more.

Take Iran: It is documented in history that the US set up the Shah who ruthelessly massacred innocent people.

Saudi: The monachy (which is absolutly forbidden in Islam) is artifically propped up the US, who sell them vast amounts of arms, when the money could be far better spent.

Palestine (what you may call Israel): It really looks as though the interest of the US here is perhaps to supress the muslim world.
    The US vetoed a resolution condeming Israel of creating an apartheid wall, which encloses a population in their own land; cuts of their water supplies; treats them like "lice" (according to a senior israeli politician). And before that they vetoed a resolution not to assasinate the democratically elected leader of palestine

If you want more example, I'd be happy to give them.

ReputationRep:
    That is not me in the picture, for your information.
    Oh and I am nice.
    Yes I know. But it was the fact that you chose that very picture: i naturally thought it refelcts the way you are.

If you had chosen the picture of Jack Nicholson in Batman, I would have been a little less petrified.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I couldn't care less what relgion people are - I have better things to do than to care about that.

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Take the Iraq war. There is one contract held by ameircan companies (for reconstruction work) for every ten soldiers in Iraq. I won't say more.

Take Iran: It is documented in history that the US set up the Shah who ruthelessly massacred innocent people.

Saudi: The monachy (which is absolutly forbidden in Islam) is artifically propped up the US, who sell them vast amounts of arms, when the money could be far better spent.

Palestine (what you may call Israel): It really looks as though the interest of the US here is perhaps to supress the muslim world.
    The US vetoed a resolution condeming Israel of creating an apartheid wall, which encloses a population in their own land; cuts of their water supplies; treats them like "lice" (according to a senior israeli politician). And before that they vetoed a resolution not to assasinate the democratically elected leader of palestine

If you want more example, I'd be happy to give them.

I agree that now iraq has much to do with the US but i dont see the relevance to islam in that case, saddams iraq was secular - muslims suffered more than most at his hands.

while i cant claim to know all there is about iran and palestine, your arguments do seem to contradict one another - american is israels biggest financier and supporter through organisations like AIPAC. i dont see how you can say the US is backing the palestinians to the defacit of the israelis - the bombing of the US diplomats shows the extreme palestian view of the US anyway. The saudi thing does stink a bit but i do not know much about that. however such regimes cannot simply be the fault of an outside power, you have to have small minded repressive people to go along with them, so im not too convinced.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I dunno. I have a lot of issues with feminism. Sometimes I think feminism is just so crap - it never works anyway because to be successful we are expected to behave like men.
    Ok I'll shut up...I just feel that a lot of countries don't have the resources to enable gender equality.
    Feminism is not about behaving like men but having the same opportunities as them. Some feminists believe that women should embrace their feminity rather than reject it for a more masculine approach.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.