The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Elle
Feminism is not about behaving like men but having the same opportunities as them. Some feminists believe that women should embrace their feminity rather than reject it for a more masculine approach.

i would agree with your sentiment, but have u seen some feminists - oooer :frown:
Reply 21
TK0
i would agree with your sentiment, but have u seen some feminists - oooer :frown:

Lol!! :tongue:

Yeah I know what you mean. But then again I guess they have to be extreme to be noticed..
Reply 22
TK0

Don't be so misinterperative. A lot of feminists reject the need to 'look pretty' for men - quite admirable in my opinion.
Reply 23
Mr White
Don't be so misinterperative. A lot of feminists reject the need to 'look pretty' for men - quite admirable in my opinion.

theres a line where not trying to be attractive - which is ok i guess, and looking downright menacing.
Reply 24
TK0
theres a line where not trying to be attractive - which is ok i guess, and looking downright menacing.

I think that you're exactly the kind of thing that feminists protest against. :tongue:

Maybe looking 'menacing' is what they want to acheive... ever read 'The Handmaid's Tale'?
Reply 25
Mr White

I have to agree with you.. it is admirable. I'm sometimes called a feminist because I complain a lot about womens rights but thats nothing compared to what some women to in order to actually get them and the lifestyles they lead.

The Handmaids Tale is about what could happen if the feminist movement goes to far isn't it?
Reply 26
Mr White
I think that you're exactly the kind of thing that feminists protest against. :tongue:

Maybe looking 'menacing' is what they want to acheive... ever read 'The Handmaid's Tale'?

well maybe they are but that would make them unreasonable! i dont have a problem with women however some of them are just odd. no funnily enough i havent, never have enough time to do as much reading as id like it seems.
Reply 27
anyway i thought islam was a more interesting subject. nice to talk with someone who doesnt start yelling unreasonable things about!
Reply 28
Elle
The Handmaids Tale is about what could happen if the feminist movement goes to far isn't it?

Um... no. You've got the wrong end of the stick completely. It's actually about a patriachal society where women are used solely for breeding.

The book is almost as good as 1984, in my opinion.
Reply 29
Mr White
Um... no. You've got the wrong end of the stick completely. It's actually about a patriachal society where women are used solely for breeding.

The book is almost as good as 1984, in my opinion.

Yes but feminism is one of the issues raised. It could be argued that the patriachal society is because of the feminists pushed too far and as a result caused a extreme revolt against the movement. I'm sure I've read that somewhere..

1984 is awesome.. Orwell was poltical genius :smile:
Reply 30
Elle
Yes but feminism is one of the issues raised. It could be argued that the patriachal society is because of the feminists pushed too far and as a result caused a extreme revolt against the movement. I'm sure I've read that somewhere..

1984 is awesome.. Orwell was poltical genius :smile:

I think that may be mentioned a couple of times in the book, but the actual cause of Gilead's foundation was impotence / infertility, actually.

Brave New World is my faviourite Dystopian novel - it's a superb book, although 1984 is quite insightful, to say the least. Orwell's ideas were waaay ahead of his time.
Reply 31
Mr White
I think that may be mentioned a couple of times in the book, but the actual cause of Gilead's foundation was impotence / infertility, actually.

Brave New World is my faviourite Dystopian novel - it's a superb book, although 1984 is quite insightful, to say the least. Orwell's ideas were waaay ahead of his time.

Lol.. read that one too. Although I didn't like the ending at all!
I always had you down as an extreme right-winger though..
Reply 32
Elle
Lol.. read that one too. Although I didn't like the ending at all!
I always had you down as an extreme right-winger though..

I am. However, unlike most other right-wingers, I fully appreciate and respect the beliefs of the left.

The end of Brave New World was quite demented, wasn't it? I always wondered what happened to Helmholtz and Bernard in the colonies...
Reply 33
TK0
I agree that now iraq has much to do with the US but i dont see the relevance to islam in that case, saddams iraq was secular - muslims suffered more than most at his hands.

while i cant claim to know all there is about iran and palestine, your arguments do seem to contradict one another - american is israels biggest financier and supporter through organisations like AIPAC. i dont see how you can say the US is backing the palestinians to the defacit of the israelis - the bombing of the US diplomats shows the extreme palestian view of the US anyway. The saudi thing does stink a bit but i do not know much about that. however such regimes cannot simply be the fault of an outside power, you have to have small minded repressive people to go along with them, so im not too convinced.

I was refering to why muslims, rihgtly or wrongly, perceive america to be acting for their own interests (which is fine) but at the cost of other nations. I wasn't saying the US is backing paletianians at all, on the contrary it supports Israel blindly, even when they know that Israel brutally and illegally represses people.

Yes I must say that the monachy in Saudi cannot exist without the US (who veto, turn blind eye to Amnesty resolutions condeming Saudi of repression of their own people).
Reply 34
Mr White

Brave New World is my faviourite Dystopian novel - it's a superb book, although .

see Gattaca. I think you'll like it. It has a very unrealistic marxist feel to it- that there will always be class divide. I believe, when technolgy advances so much (admittedly, the technolgy decribed in the book is not so far off from now) so will we, from a social point of view and wont allow such divdes within society.
Reply 35
hia mariem
i know what u mean,
i woulnt like 2 get 2 know u, i am a muslim (female!)
Reply 36
M Safe
Sure. Take the Iraq war. There is one contract held by ameircan companies (for reconstruction work) for every ten soldiers in Iraq. I won't say more.

please dont.

Take Iran: It is documented in history that the US set up the Shah who ruthelessly massacred innocent people.

set-up? what does that mean?

Saudi: The monachy (which is absolutly forbidden in Islam) is artifically propped up the US, who sell them vast amounts of arms, when the money could be far better spent.

i think your scrambling for crumbs now.

Palestine (what you may call Israel): It really looks as though the interest of the US here is perhaps to supress the muslim world.
The US vetoed a resolution condeming Israel of creating an apartheid wall, which encloses a population in their own land; cuts of their water supplies; treats them like "lice" (according to a senior israeli politician). And before that they vetoed a resolution not to assasinate the democratically elected leader of palestine

If you want more example, I'd be happy to give them.

hilarity. how far from the truth you can get amazes me. some peoples imaginations astound me even more.
Reply 37
vienna95
please dont.

set-up? what does that mean?

i think your scrambling for crumbs now.

hilarity. how far from the truth you can get amazes me. some peoples imaginations astound me even more.

I am sorry I have upset you and I don't want to argue with you. I appreciate people have their own views and I really do respect them. My goal is simply to get people to read up on these issues. Because it is these issues that even the most moderate of muslims finds deeply painful. We all must face uo to terrorism. urgently. The only way to address it is to make people aware of the injustices which breed these terrorists.

Mariam
Reply 38
M Safe
I am sorry I have upset you and I don't want to argue with you. I appreciate people have their own views and I really do respect them. My goal is simply to get people to read up on these issues. Because it is these issues that even the most moderate of muslims finds deeply painful. We all must face uo to terrorism. urgently. The only way to address it is to make people aware of the injustices which breed these terrorists.

Mariam

thats my beef, the fact that you think theyre injustices..
Reply 39
vienna while i agree more with your arguments you really do seek 2 p*ss people off! play nice

Latest

Trending

Trending