The Student Room Group

Drinking water gives me headaches

I'm trying to be healthy and drink enough water because at the moment I drink about 1 glass of fluids a day.

Yesterday I drank about a litre of water and it gave me splitting headaches.

Does anyone know why this might be? It always seems to happen when I drink water and I'm trying to lose some fat so I figure a good way is to make little changes like drinking more water.

Any help? It happens whenever I drink any fluids, not just water, which is probably why I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should.

Scroll to see replies

Drinking 1 glass of water a day is not healthy.
Reply 2
do you drink it all at once or gradually throughout the day?
Reply 3
I'm aware its not healthy, hence why I'm trying to change it :tongue:

I drink its sort-of gradually. I have this thing (I don't know if its a medical thing or just the way my brain works) where I just don't ever get thirsty, so when I'm busy I'll forget to drink. Yesterday I drank a 250ml glass in the morning, carried a 500ml bottle round school with me, (so drank is gradually) and then had another 250ml glass in the evening.
Reply 4
Headaches are usually caused by dehydration and the body not having enough fluids to maintain its normal capacity. Weird that it was the opposite for you.
Cultivated
Headaches are usually caused by dehydration and the body not having enough fluids to maintain its normal capacity. Weird that it was the opposite for you.

this is true.

plus, you are hot.

:love:
fran.ha
I'm trying to be healthy and drink enough water because at the moment I drink about 1 glass of fluids a day.

Yesterday I drank about a litre of water and it gave me splitting headaches.

Does anyone know why this might be? It always seems to happen when I drink water and I'm trying to lose some fat so I figure a good way is to make little changes like drinking more water.

Any help? It happens whenever I drink any fluids, not just water, which is probably why I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should.

If your urine is dark yellow you're dehydrated and need to take on more fluids. This can cause headaches.

If your urine is very pale or even colourless you're overhydrated which can be just as dangerous and again, give you headches.

Find out what category you fit into and adjust your water intake accordingly. You're aiming for a pale yellow urine colour.
Reply 7
I just peed and its a mid-yellowy colour... doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary. :o:
Reply 8
That's really unusual - I'm no Dr House but I would guess that your headaches are either nothing to do with the water (i.e. they're just a coincidence that they happen when you drink) or there's something in the water your drinking. I'm not saying maybe your tap water is poisonous or anything, but you could just be sensitive something in the water, especially if its from a tap.
Looks like a trip to your doctor then because it's fairly possible that something else is to blame. Normal water intake shouldn't cause headaches.
I think that you should go to the doctors because if not being able to drink enough water without headaches stops your body from geting adaquate water, then you could became very ill in the summer now its getting hotter.
Reply 11
jakash
That's really unusual - I'm no Dr House but I would guess that your headaches are either nothing to do with the water (i.e. they're just a coincidence that they happen when you drink) or there's something in the water your drinking. I'm not saying maybe your tap water is poisonous or anything, but you could just be sensitive something in the water, especially if its from a tap.

This is what I don't understand. My Mum drinks the same water from the tap without problems, this occurs when I drink bottled water as well. I'm sure the headaches aren't coincidental as its a specific feeling of headache I only get when I try to be healthy and drink water.

I'm thinking I may have to grin and bear it for a week or so, maybe I have an intolerance to the water or something? It might just occur for the first few days then dissipate. I've tried drinking lots of water before but it always happens and I give up after a day or so because it makes me feel horrible :frown:
TheLouisVuittonDon
this is true.

plus, you are hot.

:love:

I never lie.
Also, I'm really the opposite to hot .. Cool ;]
But thank you.
Reply 13
Clear urine isnt overhydrated and isnt dangerous. Its sufficiently hydrated and desirable.

Tastes better too.
red_alerts
Clear urine isnt overhydrated and isnt dangerous. Its sufficiently hydrated and desirable.

Tastes better too.

It isn't a definitive answer it could be on the verge of optimum hydration, equally it could be on the verge of overhydration and potentially very dangerous. If it's accompanied by headches it's certainly a sign to stop drinking immediately.

Water: Beyond Hydration
Reply 15
ch0c0h01ic
It isn't a definitive answer it could be on the verge of optimum hydration, equally it could be on the verge of overhydration and potentially very dangerous. If it's accompanied by headches it's certainly a sign to stop drinking immediately.

Aah.
oh dear, not good franski
Reply 17
ch0c0h01ic

lol, i doubt most drink enough to overhydrate themselves
Adonis
lol, i doubt most drink enough to overhydrate themselves

It's relatively easy to achieve if you drink 1 pint every 30-60mins, or drinking several litres of water pretty quickly when you're hungover.
Reply 19
1 litre of water is nowhere near enough, you need to be drinking 2-2.5 litres a day.

Latest