Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sum1 plz tell me summin abt da rate of reaction between calcium carbonate + hydrochloric acid.

i think CaCO3 and HCL is fast, faster if the CaCO3 is in powder form, because of more surface area. hence more effective particle collisions between calc calb and HCL atoms. i think thats right anyway. hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's right. For substances to react their molecules have to collide in the right way - if the calcium carbonate is powdered it has a larger surface area - this means that the molecules of HCL and CaCO3 are more likely to collide with each other more often. If you do the reaction at a higher temperature it's faster as well - higher temperatures give the molecules more energy, so they move around faster and so collide more often. More frequent collisions = faster rate of reaction overall.

Let me know if you need more detail - the above is GCSE-ish level and I don't know exactly waht you're wanting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Yeah, that's right. For substances to react their molecules have to collide in the right way - if the calcium carbonate is powdered it has a larger surface area - this means that the molecules of HCL and CaCO3 are more likely to collide with each other more often. If you do the reaction at a higher temperature it's faster as well - higher temperatures give the molecules more energy, so they move around faster and so collide more often. More frequent collisions = faster rate of reaction overall.

Let me know if you need more detail - the above is GCSE-ish level and I don't know exactly waht you're wanting
    Hey can you tell me about natural science interviews? I have one next month. thx

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, which college?! They're not the same at all the colleges but at mine (Sidney Sussex) I had two interviews. The first was a general one - it turned out to be with a guy who was actually a geneticist so it got a bit scientific in places, but the IDEA was it was general - and the second was scientific. I had two fellows and they sat on either side of me, which sounds really threatening but it really wasn't! In fact it kind of made it better - I was only looking at and talking to one of them at a time, rather than a 'panel' of two. Um. I don't really know what you want to know Drop me an email or MSN or something - [email protected] - if you want to know about the questions or anything. Are you biological or physical?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.