Iain-C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So, how prepared are you guys for tomorrow? All year I've been achieving 14/15 out of 30 until recently where I got 20 for a Williams question. I have been focusing on Williams for that past few days now and hope there is a good question tomorrow.
RockyRoad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Iain-C)
So, how prepared are you guys for tomorrow? All year I've been achieving 14/15 out of 30 until recently where I got 20 for a Williams question. I have been focusing on Williams for that past few days now and hope there is a good question tomorrow.
I've only learned Heaney...so here's hoping. Nervous, very nervous. I've only written four essays this year. Genuinelly. Oh dear!
Iain-C
Rep:
?
(Original post by RockyRoad)
I've only learned Heaney...so here's hoping. Nervous, very nervous. I've only written four essays this year. Genuinelly. Oh dear!
I've only done about 5-6? I wonder what the questions will be like..hmm..
RockyRoad
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Iain-C)
I've only done about 5-6? I wonder what the questions will be like..hmm..
I just hope the Heaney isn't one where you have to annotate an unknown poem. I've never actually written one and don't think I'd like to try when sat in the exam room!
Iain-C
Rep:
?
I just hope the Heaney isn't one where you have to annotate an unknown poem. I've never actually written one and don't think I'd like to try when sat in the exam room!
That would indeed be unfortunate. I hope Williams won't be on anything we haven't really studied.
Henry JW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't bothered revising the poems. I'm pinning my hopes on a decent question for Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale and The Tempest.
Iain-C
Rep:
?
Last Good Luck To You Alllllll :]
kitkatcait
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've written three essays over the entire year. We were focusing mainly on Othello/Antony and Cleopatra, but at the last minute our teacher suggested that we switch to Donne (which had been our backup) because it was easier to write about. I don't particularly mind this, seeing as I've never been able to remember Shakespeare quotes but now have 3 entire poems under my belt.
Good luck, guys!
Henry JW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just got back from the exam and went the full 90 minutes for the one essay. I took the question paper back with me and this was the one I did for the The Winter's Tale and The Tempest: 'The relationships between Florizel and Perdita and between Ferdinand and Miranda are central to the dramatic development and resolution of these plays' Discuss.

Never practised anything like that during revision but I think it went okay in the end. It was all about simply knowing the events of the plays and justifying whether the question was true or not. I did one paragraph on dramatic development and how the relationships fit in and then another for the significance of these characters in the resolution. Did this for each of the plays plus an introduction and conclusion. Must of written more than a 1000 words.

My hand is aching.
lynseyx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, just back. The Hardy question was amazing! Exactly the kind of thing we'd studied! The majority of my class had planned to write on Yeats but then the one poem my teacher had said "let's not study this one, it won't come up" came up so they were all very not happy! They had to write about Williams' plays. I had a look at that question but decided not to answer it, was a bit strange and almost a "Higher level" type of question, asking about the climax of the plays. The Hardy question was so good, asking about how Hardy treated a variety of social issues, which is what his novels are full of so it was great!. I wrote about 11 pages of the answer booklet thing, how much did others write?
kitkatcait
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
**** >_>
The Donne question (the only one my class could properly do) specified a poem that we'd never even heard of. I ended up writing a 12-page essay on three poems instead of four. I hope they just take some marks off instead of automatically failing me, though.
jonny_163
Report 10 years ago
the shakespeare question was perfect for antony and cleo but i hadnt revised it at all!! and we didnt do Donne too well so i only revised Hardy
the Hardy wasnt as good as i'd hoped. i would have prefered it to have been on malevolent fate or nature which i memorized about 50 quotes for (and used 7) but i managed it still, thank god
i tried the Wordsworth textual analysis and just read online critical works and found out i did alright. get in! im well happy!
lynseyx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonny_163)
the Hardy wasnt as good as i'd hoped. i would have prefered it to have been on malevolent fate or nature but i managed it still, thank god
Oh shame you didn't like the HArdy question. It was kind of similar to our prelim question which was why I loved it
RockyRoad
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heaney was a really good question! Can't remember the exact wording but it was nice, relatively simple, and actually specified the poems we were to write about ("The Tollund Man", "Punishment" and "Funeral Rites") which I've never seen before for Heaney and which was very nice.

Did anyone here so the full three hour exam?
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did Plath, really easy question considering we'd pretty focused on that side of her work, but I'm such a slow writer and I didn't have the time to get all of my points down on the page >.<
lynseyx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Heaney was a really good question! Can't remember the exact wording but it was nice, relatively simple, and actually specified the poems we were to write about ("The Tollund Man", "Punishment" and "Funeral Rites") which I've never seen before for Heaney and which was very nice.

Did anyone here so the full three hour exam?
Omgosh we did those in Int2 English! No wonder none of us coul write well about them, they're Advanced Higher level!
sparklysparkles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jelephant)
I did Plath, really easy question considering we'd pretty focused on that side of her work, but I'm such a slow writer and I didn't have the time to get all of my points down on the page >.<
I've just posted this here, but I'll re-post as this is where it seems to be happening:

(Original post by sparklysparkles)
We did Plath and Shakespeare (O and A&C) in class... I revised more on Plath and our question was ok... but we'd only actually covered 3 poems in depth and briefly glanced at the others on the list. The question was very specific and asked for analysis of images in 3 poems, two of which were covered by our in depth class analysis, and another for which I had only one quotation! Think it went moderately well though... and my dissertation was quite good, or so I was told, so fingers crossed!
I wrote 10 sides, and got 10 quotations in of about 3 lines each... what sort of thing did you write about?

I started talking about Jewish images in LL and Daddy, moved on to Nazis/Fascists, then feelings of entrapment, then the ending of LL and The Arrival of the Bee Box (my only quotation from that), where the speaker is empowered.
humannamuh
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lynseyx)
Oh shame you didn't like the HArdy question. It was kind of similar to our prelim question which was why I loved it
I actually found the Hardy question pretty difficult as well. I had no idea what to write about for "The Return of the Native", I ended up just writing some crap about how Eustacia represents the idle Victorian middle-class and other such junk. :p:

I also compared her to a character in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, will I lose marks for going off topic?:confused:

What did everyone doing Hardy think of his novels, by the way? Like/dislike?
lynseyx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by humannamuh)
I actually found the Hardy question pretty difficult as well. I had no idea what to write about for "The Return of the Native", I ended up just writing some crap about how Eustacia represents the idle Victorian middle-class and other such junk. :p:

For "The Return of the Native" I wrote about how despite Eustacia being selfish and stuff we are made to feel sympathy for her, showing there is grey area between the Victorian's ideal of people either being good or bad and nothing inbetween. And how Hardy shows Eustacia as frustrated with the mundane position women held in Victorian society. I also talked about how Thomasin's marriage to Wildeve criticised attitudes to marriage as Wildeve was so bad to her and she just continued being submissive 'as she should'

I liked Tess of the d'Urbervilles but none of my class liked The Return of the Native. Absolutely none of my class have reead the whole book, we just read the first few books then the yorknote chapter summaries and winged it at first. Eventually when the teacher was going over other things I read other sections, but still not the whole thing. Ironically I actually find myself really liking The Return of the Native now. I may actually properly read it now I'm finished studying it!
sparklysparkles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by humannamuh)
I also compared her to a character in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, will I lose marks for going off topic?:confused:

I hated Hardy so much that after Tess (the one we did first) I led the class in a rebellion against it, and so we ended up doing Plath instead.

And regarding your Dickens' comparison, I would actually think you'll get brownie points for mentioning it - our teacher told us AH is all about cross-literary study, hence the practically compulsory comparisons, and told me for the Plath quote "worms off me like sticky pearls" to always cross-reference Shakespeare's Hamlet at that point and his comment about worms. Glad I could get that one in there :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads