The Student Room Group

Russia warns of war within a decade! :D

Hey,

Russia raised the prospect of war in the Arctic yesterday as nations struggle for control of the world’s dwindling energy reserves.

The country’s new national security strategy identified the intensifying battle for ownership of vast untapped oil and gas fields around its borders as a source of potential military conflict within a decade.

“The presence and potential escalation of armed conflicts near Russia’s national borders, pending border agreements between Russia and several neighbouring nations, are the major threats to Russia’s interests and border security,” stated the document, which analysed security threats up to 2020.

“In a competition for resources it cannot be ruled out that military force could be used to resolve emerging problems that would destroy the balance of forces near the borders of Russia and her allies.”

The Kremlin has insisted that it is not “militarising the Arctic” but its warnings of armed conflict suggest that it is willing to defend its interests by force if necessary as global warming makes exploitation of the region’s energy riches more feasible.

The United States, Norway, Canada and Denmark are challenging Russia’s claim to a section of the Arctic shelf, the size of Western Europe, which is believed to contain billions of tonnes of oil and gas.

An earlier Kremlin document declared the Arctic a strategic resource for Russia and said that development of its energy reserves by 2020 was a vital national objective. It set out plans to establish army bases along the Arctic frontier to “guarantee military security in different military-political situations”.

The strategy published yesterday was approved by President Medvedev and drawn up by the Russian Security Council, which includes the Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, and heads of the military and intelligence agencies.

Mr Putin accused the West last year of coveting Russian energy reserves, saying: “Many conflicts, foreign policy actions and diplomatic moves smell of oil and gas. Behind all that there often is a desire to enforce an unfair competition and ensure access to our resources.”

Nikolai Patrushev, who heads the Security Council, once flew to the North Pole to plant a Russian flag. He was in charge of the FSB, the federal security service, when Mr Putin was President and created a special Arctic Directorate in 2004 to advance Moscow’s interests in the region. Dmitri Rogozin, the Russian Ambassador to Nato, warned the military alliance in March not to meddle in the Arctic, saying that there was “nothing for them to do there”.

The Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, also criticised Norway, a Nato member, over military exercises based on “a conflict over access to resources”. Norway responded that Russia was expanding its military presence in the region.

A team of explorers led by Artur Chilingarov, the Kremlin’s special representative to the region, used mini-submarines to plant a titanium flag on the Arctic seabed in 2007 to stake Russia’s claim to the massive Lomonosov Ridge.

Russia argues that the ridge is an extension of its territory, which justifies its ownership of 1.2 million sq km (465,000 square miles) of the Arctic. It plans to stake its claim in a submission to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

The strategy document predicted that the struggle over energy resources would increasingly dominate international relations. It identified the Barents Sea and Central Asia, where Russia and China are vying for influence, as further areas of friction.

The Caspian Sea is critical to the European Union’s hopes of breaking its dependence on Russian gas by building export routes for alternative supplies from Central Asia. Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan and Iran are locked in talks on dividing the seabed and its energy riches.

The strategy paper also condemned as unacceptable threats to Russian securityAmerican plans for a missile defence shield in Eastern Europe and the expansion of Nato into the former Soviet republics of Ukraine and Georgia.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6283130.ece

I hope Russia destorys America and NATO! You cannot beat good old Russian Intelligence! :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I absolutely detest the current Russian regime.

They're just a bunch of aggressive cowboys who are still upset that they no longer possess the dominance they had pre-1990.
McGoldrick
I absolutely detest the current Russian regime.

They're just a bunch of aggressive cowboys who are still upset that they no longer possess the dominance they had pre-1990.

Yeh thats true and capitalism hasen't worked very well for them!
Nothing they've tried has worked very well tbf!
Reply 4
Original post by I-&#9829
Yeh thats true and capitalism hasen't worked very well for them!

I would of thought that this economic crisis - which has hit Russia particularly badly - coupled with the dramatic fall in oil and gas prices would have softened the inflammatory rhetoric that is characteristic of this current regime but it doesn't seem to have had an impact.
How can you LOVE communism?!?! Its utter bullcrap.
Reply 6
Russia raised the prospect of war in the Arctic yesterday as nations struggle for control of the world’s dwindling energy reserves.

As if the polar bears didn't have enough on their plate...

With regards to your name and the way in which you wrote your post.. what on earth do you love about communism? It has been tried and tried again with massive loss of human life.

Let's hope this is merely more propaganda from those scheming Russians...
McGoldrick
I would of thought that this economic crisis - which has hit Russia particularly badly - coupled with the dramatic fall in oil and gas prices would have softened the inflammatory rhetoric that is characteristic of this current regime but it doesn't seem to have had an impact.

They have equipment we don't have. They still use Soviet military equipment. Russia has good allies even if its military equipment is old. Yes they may still be missing the Soviet times but I think the people of Russia were more happier in the Soviet time than now!
:borat:

No seriously, what the hell, Russia?

Not going to happen. They aren't that stupid surely. NATO would wipe them out (if China didn't get involved...)
Reply 9
inb4 10 page thread
I think the people of Russia were more happier in the Soviet time than now!

Does that include the millions who rotted away in the Siberian labour camps?
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
How can you LOVE communism?!?! Its utter bullcrap.

I am in the middle of Communism and Capitalism at the moment but I think I love Communism because of Soviet history. During cold war the soviets had technology and intelligence the USA didn't have.
Why has this been moved to chat :s-smilie:?
Have you read Animal Farm by George Orwell?
De Chirico
Does that include the millions who rotted away in the Siberian labour camps?

I do not agree with the siberian labour camps!
Pablo Sevilla
Have you read Animal Farm by George Orwell?

Nope. Should I?
I am in the middle of Communism and Capitalism at the moment but I think I love Communism because of Soviet history. During cold war the soviets had technology and intelligence the USA didn't have.

I see, the ol' someones nicked the 'I-♥-Soviet Union' username ploy. What Bastards.
It's working better than the collapsed communist system did for them.

I know you probably don't care, and I don't really either, but I just want to say that I view your signature picture as offensive as someone who had a Nazi flag or Nazi propaganda in it. If not more.
Jay Riall
It's working better than the collapsed communist system did for them.

I know you probably don't care, and I don't really either, but I just want to say that I view your signature picture as offensive as someone who had a Nazi flag or Nazi propaganda in it. If not more.

Why what is offensive about it? Russia is not bad has America funding Muhajideen to stop them taking control of Afghanistan. Them Muhajideen are the Taleban today putting a burden on the people of Afghanistan and Pakistani government. But them ISI agents can handle themselves.
Reply 19
pinkpenguin
No seriously, what the hell, Russia?

Not going to happen. They aren't that stupid surely. NATO would wipe them out (if China didn't get involved...)

There's no way China would get involved as far as military assistance is concerned. They have their own interests to observe and protect and they are not going to throw that away for the sake of defending an infantile, aggressive Russian regime.

The Russian's are still dismayed by China's unusual condemnation regarding Russia's recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Latest