Turn on thread page Beta

What A Level Grades And Subjects Do Ya Need To Go To Medical School watch

ReputationRep:
    Not Much Else Ta Say Lol

ReputationRep:
    3 Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemsitry,

Or 2 SCIENCES: Biology, Chemistry And Mathematics

Basically: Biology And Chemistry And 1 Of Physics Or Maths

They Want Amthematical Ability And Of Course The 2 Key Sciences For Medicine That Are Also Essential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guess_who)

They Want Amthematical Ability And Of Course The 2 Key Sciences For Medicine That Are Also Essential
    AAB-ABB

ReputationRep:
    no, AAA-AAB.

ReputationRep:

not ne more.. now most medical schoo, bar oxbridge prefer an arts subject at alevel, e.g eng lit,music,art,french, history etc..

ReputationRep:
    no, AAA-AAB.
    london medschools - abb.

ReputationRep:

Nope - most places (except Cambridge) you can get in with Biology and Chemistry and any other subject, some places only require Chemistry, but Biology is still damn useful. Grades vary between AAA-ABB, although I have heard of Peninsula or some other new one like that giving ridiculously low offers??

ReputationRep:
    my friend just got an AAB offer from birmingham. She's doing chem bio music A-level. you dont need 3 sciences or 2 sciences+maths

ReputationRep:
    AAA-ABB generally. different uni's require dif subjects but chemistry is always essential.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's worth taking an arts subject to AS (e.g. latin) for balance- as opposed to physics which is v. useful for bmat and the actual course?

ReputationRep:
    I went for Physics. Best decision of my life. Its not the subject they look at, if you have a balanced extracurricular life, then you are OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    Do you think it's worth taking an arts subject to AS (e.g. latin) for balance- as opposed to physics which is v. useful for bmat and the actual course?
    Yes, a bit of variety in your choices is looked upon favourably everywhere. Something like latin as a third/fourth A-Level would be very good. Has to be something non-dossy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I went for Physics. Best decision of my life. Its not the subject they look at, if you have a balanced extracurricular life, then you are OK.
    Bloody hell Phil, it wasn't THAT important, you already had Bio + Chem + Maths + Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    honestly, how useful is physics for medicine? I was under the impression that it'd help in the bmat, in the medical course itself, and while working in hospitals. cambridge people openly recommend taking all the science subjects. But I don't want to tailor my a-levels to cam at the expense of other uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    honestly, how useful is physics for medicine? I was under the impression that it'd help in the bmat, in the medical course itself, and while working in hospitals. cambridge people openly recommend taking all the science subjects. But I don't want to tailor my a-levels to cam at the expense of other uni's.
    You won't come across physics much in medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    honestly, how useful is physics for medicine? I waas under the impression that it'd help in the bmat, in the medical course itself, and while working is hospitals. cambridge people openly recommend taking all the science subjects. But I don't want to tailor my a-levels to cam at the expense of other uni's.
    Well, unis like the Medical module in Physics. Also some about the mechanics, when you get to deeper levels.

As long as it is non dossy then it is allright.

Infact take Philosphy, or RE, as it got a lot about medical issues, ie GM, Abortion, etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Infact take Philosphy, or RE, as it got a lot about medical issues, ie GM, Abortion, etc etc
    That is a very good point, I believe an A-Level like that would be fairly good, if you were taking a non-sciency/maths subject.

Although in saying that, if you got A*/A R.E/Philosophy at GCSE, then I doubt it would matter as you would already have covered the relevant issues in depth and understood them to get the high grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    That is a very good point, I believe an A-Level like that would be fairly good, if you were taking a non-sciency/maths subject.

Although in saying that, if you got A*/A R.E/Philosophy at GCSE, then I doubt it would matter as you would already have covered the relevant issues in depth and understood them to get the high grade.
    I think you're confusing high grades at GCSE with something actually meaningful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

I am planning on doing medicine and i had chosen Biology, Chemistry and RE and another subject (just for AS).

I would say taking RE has been helpful as it maintains the essay writing skills (which in university might be useful??) as well as looking at both sides of the arguement (religion vs science) which is sometimes interesting. We also look at issues in more depth such as abortion etc and its not most of the time just emphasising the christian view only(like in GCSE?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)

R.E at GCSE hardly goes into the ethics which is central to some of those issues.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.