Turn on thread page Beta

What A Level Grades And Subjects Do Ya Need To Go To Medical School watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    R.E at GCSE hardly goes into the ethics which is central to some of those issues.
    Agreed. It's even debatable whether it does or not at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    R.E at GCSE hardly goes into the ethics which is central to some of those issues.
    Yes, but why stop at GCSE level? When I was back in my GCSE days, I did a project on Abortion, and made one kick ass of a poster, using all the different arguments, probably to A level as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    When I was back in my GCSE days
    When times were good and children were respectable to their elders..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    honestly, how useful is physics for medicine? I was under the impression that it'd help in the bmat, in the medical course itself, and while working in hospitals. cambridge people openly recommend taking all the science subjects. But I don't want to tailor my a-levels to cam at the expense of other uni's.
    Well, I didn't do A-Level Physics and I haven't missed it at all. You need a tiny bit of mechanics for Physiology, but you can get that from Maths, and even if you do neither, then you'll still be able to pick it up fairly quickly.

I didn't take BMAT, so I don't know how much it helped. As for working in hospitals - I can't really see why it would be that useful.

ReputationRep:
    i'm in yr 12 and have recently decided i wanna do medicine but i picked the wrong subject. I only have bio and with only bio there are 3 unis which except you penisula, hull and east anglia. a lot of unis ask for just chem and bio. go to

entry requirements for medical schools in 2003 (England, Wales & N Ireland)

It gives a list of the unis and what they ask for. hope it helps

(Original post by corey)
    All we ever seem to do is ethics, especially in the full GCSE (as opposed to short course). I know nothing about religion, but I love philosophy, ethics, politics etc. and I usually get around 90% in the tests. I guess it depends on the exam board somewhat.

(Original post by twinkledust)
    i'm in yr 12 and have recently decided i wanna do medicine but i picked the wrong subject. I only have bio and with only bio there are 3 unis which except you penisula, hull and east anglia. a lot of unis ask for just chem and bio. go to

entry requirements for medical schools in 2003 (England, Wales & N Ireland)

It gives a list of the unis and what they ask for. hope it helps
    One thing that table doesn't mention is that some medical schools won't count further maths on top of maths, so if you are only doing four a-levels, then you won't be considered if they want three a-levels and an extra as-level. For example, you won't be able to apply to Imperial with Chem, Bio, Maths and Further Maths a-levels. I found this out just in time to change my as choices for next year.

if you really really badly wanted to do medicine that badly you should have known before you opted for your a level subjects

about 7 a's at GCSE are needed and ABB ( A in chem, B in bio, B in another pref. another science such as zoology or maths )
    ABB is the min. requirement altho depending on your interview your offer can drop

ReputationRep:
    itaque, is it fair to say that medical schools don't like students to show a great interest in maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    itaque, is it fair to say that medical schools don't like students to show a great interest in maths?
    No not really, Maths is classed equal to biology,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    No not really, Maths is classed equal to biology,
    I find that surprising, I thought that Bio would be seen more important than Maths for Medicine, but obviously I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    All we ever seem to do is ethics, especially in the full GCSE (as opposed to short course). I know nothing about religion, but I love philosophy, ethics, politics etc. and I usually get around 90% in the tests. I guess it depends on the exam board somewhat.
    I was more reffering to ethical theory and then applying them to situations. In the RE GCSE to my knowledge you mainly focus on the arguments for and against things rather than looking at ethics as a whole and then applying them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I find that surprising, I thought that Bio would be seen more important than Maths for Medicine, but obviously I'm wrong.
    I know I think the same... Chemistry is the only requirement for Medicine for most medical schools then another science of Biology, Maths, Physics all with equal preference, of course most applicants do have biology.

(Original post by DazYa2)
    if you really really badly wanted to do medicine that badly you should have known before you opted for your a level subjects
    It's more complicated than that. I'm in year 11 and although medicine sounds very attractive at this early stage, I have no clue whether or not I'd make a good doctor and I really don't have much idea of what being a doctor is actually like (hence, I'm desperately trying to get some work experience for next summer). Also, at this stage people might not think they're clever enough, but will change their minds when they get their GCSE results.

(Original post by DazYa2)
    about 7 a's at GCSE are needed and ABB ( A in chem, B in bio, B in another pref. another science such as zoology or maths )
    ABB is the min. requirement altho depending on your interview your offer can drop
    Just like some medical schools won't count further maths on top of maths, I think some won't count zoology on top of biology. In order to maximise the univercities you can apply to, it would thinks that its probably be better to do physics or even an arts subject for breadth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Chemistry is the only requirement for Medicine for most medical schools then another science of Biology, Maths, Physics all with equal preference, of course most applicants do have biology.
    I used to think so but then I looked into it a little (for a friend who wasn't taking biology) and I found that an applicant's choices are seriously limited without at least biology AS (e.g. you wouldn't be able to apply to any of the medical schools in London). I would still count biology to be of more importance than maths and would advise anyone to choose it over maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I used to think so but then I looked into it a little (for a friend who wasn't taking biology) and I found that an applicant's choices are seriously limited without at least biology AS (e.g. you wouldn't be able to apply to any of the medical schools in London). I would still count biology to be of more importance than maths and would advise anyone to choose it over maths.
    I would advise anyone to choose Biology over Maths but I also know people who haven't done biology on my course and although the huge minority they do exist.

(Original post by corey)
    I was more reffering to ethical theory and then applying them to situations.
    Ah, OK. You're absolutely right then, I don't do any of that.

(Original post by corey)
    In the RE GCSE to my knowledge you mainly focus on the arguments for and against things rather than looking at ethics as a whole and then applying them.
    Yep, that seems pretty accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    It's more complicated than that. I'm in year 11 and although medicine sounds very attractive at this early stage, I have no clue whether or not I'd make a good doctor and I really don't have much idea of what being a doctor is actually like (hence, I'm desperately trying to get some work experience for next summer). Also, at this stage people might not think they're clever enough, but will change their minds when they get their GCSE results.
    Yes, I am in exactly the same boat, wasnt sure whether to take Chemistry or Physics but since I enjoy both equally and have the idea of being a doctor I have chosen Chemistry as well as Biology, Maths and English Lit. I think that its important to choose subjects that you enjoy as well as ones for your future career, to be honest if you dont enjoy the subjects the Career might not be for you.

As to what medical schools prefer, there are a few places that will allow a place without Biology but most places vastly prefer it and I would recommend that you would take Biology.

(Original post by onlylittleme)
    Yes, I am in exactly the same boat, wasnt sure whether to take Chemistry or Physics but since I enjoy both equally and have the idea of being a doctor I have chosen Chemistry as well as Biology, Maths and English Lit. I think that its important to choose subjects that you enjoy as well as ones for your future career, to be honest if you dont enjoy the subjects the Career might not be for you.

As to what medical schools prefer, there are a few places that will allow a place without Biology but most places vastly prefer it and I would recommend that you would take Biology.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been hearing. I'm going to talk to the director of studies about what my options are, but at the moment it looks like I'll be choosing the three sciences and maths. I'll then probably change to maths, further maths, physics and economics (to do maths, physics, economics or something like that at uni) if I decide medicine isn't for me after doing some work experience over the summer.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.