Losing weight - cereal serving size

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Jennifer_l85
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Most healthy cereals like bran flakes and shreddies will put 'only x calories per bowl' on the front of the box. I recently weighed out the recommended serving size and was surprised to find that the portion was tiny and barely covered the bottom of the bowl. I'm not surprised the average person complains that they are putting on weight when they are probably eating around 5 times the recommended amount of cereal for breakfast each morning. Can you recommend any cereals that do fill you up without having to eat a larger portion, or would porridge be better?
luuucyx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i gave up on cereal. if i eat the same one over and over i get bored. soo now on study leave im just eating loooads of fruit and not eating til im hungry.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oatmeal would be better. I'm surprised you didn't know the general cereal serving size was 30g which is very little. Also - Most of those 30g are carbohydrates. Terrible.
forsaken_earth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer_l85)
Most healthy cereals like bran flakes and shreddies will put 'only x calories per bowl' on the front of the box. I recently weighed out the recommended serving size and was surprised to find that the portion was tiny and barely covered the bottom of the bowl. I'm not surprised the average person complains that they are putting on weight when they are probably eating around 5 times the recommended amount of cereal for breakfast each morning. Can you recommend any cereals that do fill you up without having to eat a larger portion, or would porridge be better?
What I do is have half a cup of cereal and a cup of milk.

It works.
Sephaeii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've recently become addicted to Oatso porridge, as I struggle with getting portion sizes right. I make it up with water (I don't like it too creamy), and one sachet of the Golden Syrup or Apple and Blueberry flavour gives a good sized bowl of porridge for only 132kcal.
Barton1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
All about eggs babie
jabed786
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
all this cereal talk is making me crave for some Crunchy Nut or Special K.
missrosiex
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
muesli
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by luuucyx)
i gave up on cereal. if i eat the same one over and over i get bored. soo now on study leave im just eating loooads of fruit and not eating til im hungry.
Loads of fruit is arguably worse than cereal. Depends on which fruit though.
786_786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
roughly how much is 30g of cereal if you were to measure it in cup sizes?
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I once ate Special K with filtered water. It became soggy cardboard. You should try that
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
god damn I want cereal now.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sephaeii)
I've recently become addicted to Oatso porridge, as I struggle with getting portion sizes right. I make it up with water (I don't like it too creamy), and one sachet of the Golden Syrup or Apple and Blueberry flavour gives a good sized bowl of porridge for only 132kcal.
Fair enough, but pouring any kind of sugary syrup all over what could be perfectly good oatmeal sort of defeats the purpose.
SerpentineLara
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cereals are dangereously addictive.
I always end up eating waaaaay more then I should.
So I don't buy them anymore.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 786_786)
roughly how much is 30g of cereal if you were to measure it in cup sizes?
A teaspoon is 5g generally, but cereal isn't that dense. You can't really measure mass using cup sizes because a cup is a unit of volume whereas a gram is a unit of mass.
Lell
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Two boiled eggs and a slice of toast=most filling breakfast ever and probably for considerably fewer calories and much better for you than a bowl of cereal!
Adonis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oats
patrickthestarfish
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Weetabix! It's already measured out for ya (:
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lell)
Two boiled eggs and a slice of toast=most filling breakfast ever and probably for considerably fewer calories and much better for you than a bowl of cereal!
Do away with the toast and make it three eggs fried in olive oil with vegetables and 500ml milk and we'll be talking.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer_l85)

special k sustain and also bran flakes with lots of fibre

I usually have a 42g serving of bran flakes, with some banana and strawberries chopped up and a yogurt for breakfast, very filling
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (47)
23.04%
No (157)
76.96%

Watched Threads