Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Loeweloewe)
rubbish! special k contains very little calories
http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/s...special_k.aspx
Contains 112 calories per serving and a whole 5g of sugar. This is based on a 30g serving and does not include milk.

Coco Pops (http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/c...coco_pops.aspx) contains 116 calories per serving, again based on a 30g serving and not including milk.

Special K is nowhere near as healthy as Kellog's would have people (usually gullible women) believe.
Advertisement
luuucyx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer_l85)
It's easy to consume a lot of calories by eating fruit if you don't watch your serving sizes.
damnnn thats so annnoying. oh well its better to eat fruit than crisps and stuff
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Gazcobain)
Contains 112 calories per serving and a whole 5g of sugar. This is based on a 30g serving and does not include milk.

Coco Pops (http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/c...coco_pops.aspx) contains 116 calories per serving, again based on a 30g serving and not including milk.

Special K is nowhere near as healthy as Kellog's would have people (usually gullible women) believe.
Quoted the bit in bold for truth. Those aren't really a lot of calories though. It's just how much of those calories are coming from sugars that is the problem.

Sugar results in what is known as an Insulin spike. Insulin is responsible for keeping your blood glucose level within a very narrow range. It does this by storing excess glucose as fat and slows down lipolysis (breakdown of lipids/fat) making life very difficult for you if you're trying to lose fat.

Losing fat is more about insulin control than calorie consumption. A five hundred calorie deficit is usually enough to go around.
Advertisement
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
Quoted the bit in bold for truth. Those aren't really a lot of calories though. It's just how much of those calories are coming from sugars that is the problem.
True that 112 calories isn't a great deal, my point was that loads of people seem to believe that Special K is some sort of super-healthy cereal compared to something like Coco Pops or Frosties, when it's not.
Jennifer_l85
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
True that 112 calories isn't a great deal, my point was that loads of people seem to believe that Special K is some sort of super-healthy cereal compared to something like Coco Pops or Frosties, when it's not.
Exactly. It doesn't have much fibre in it either so it hardly fills you up. I don't get how people on this 'special k challenge' can survive on eating a few mouthfuls of special k for breakfast and lunch every day. It would be hard enough with bran flakes.
Advertisement
Jennifer_l85
Rep:
?
(Original post by luuucyx)
damnnn thats so annnoying. oh well its better to eat fruit than crisps and stuff
Yeah it's definately good for you. It's just that people on diets often get carried away and think they can eat as much fruit as they want and still lose weight.
QueenOfTheAmazons
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Weetabix with raisins

You can still have cereal, just weigh it to work out how many calories you're actually eating.
Advertisement
ChopinNocturne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by patrickthestarfish)
Weetabix! It's already measured out for ya (:
I was going to post this! Then I realised you'd got there before me :yes:
--
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oat So Simple is a really good one, measured portions and good flavours - and even now has a system for measuring the right amount of milk (you pour it into the empty sachet to measure) and the golden syrup flavour (which is well tasty) is only 183 calories with semi-skimmed milk. I have skimmed with mine, and it works out much better than the 400 or so calories I must have been having with a full bowl of cereal.
Advertisement
ilovereggieyates(=
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Puffed wheat is low in calories, probably because it's really light. I prefer Weetabix tbh though
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

:eek: Digs throat. Nah. It's quite tasty though (?)
Advertisement
Pheradin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The main difference in my eyes between special K and the other cereals mentioned is the amount of protein you get per 100g - more than double most other kellogs cereals. Having said that - bran flakes contain nearly the same - have less sugar and a hell of a lot of fibre. Although this fibre makes you full business doesn't work for me, last night i felt peckish and ended up eating 2 500g boxes of bran flakes.. . I normally consume most calories during breakfast anyway so a 200g bowl of bran flakes is perfect for me. Incidently - seeing as the OP is on a diet, check out http://www.turkeyfortoday.com/bgt/biggreentick.asp the turkey drummers from Morrisons are £1 a pack - pretty good value and they are perfect for a diet - fill you up, low calories, taste good and surprisingly quite healthy.
Yazmina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer_l85)
Yes. Some of my friends who are trying to lose weight are eating 500 calories of bran flakes as a snack, during the day and before they go to sleep!
maybe that's why I'm struggling to lose weight.... well thank you so much for pointing that out to me!!!!
Advertisement
keepoffthelawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tbh i'd just throw the cereals out the window, they're useless.. you're much better off having a bowl of plain yoghurt (doesn't have to be fat-free or anything) with some fresh or frozen berries/banana/any other fruit. Its just as filling imo and much much healthier than eating so many grains. In the end its up to you, but i can assure you that i've almost completely given up grains (i do have the odd quinoa and rye bread every now and then) and i've successfully lost weight without having to starve myself or obsessively count calories. Before you start thinking i'm on some low-carb diet like atkins or whatever - I'm not.

I get plenty of carbs from fruits and vegetables, i make sure i get enough of Omega-3s by taking omega capsules (more than the suggested amount because the officially suggested amount is an understatement especially for typical western diets) and vitamins (i take a good multivitamin). In the beginning it was really difficult to give up the potatoes, rice and pasta etc because they took up such a big part of my diet and seemed to be an 'obvious' and normal thing to eat. Now that i've given up on them i don't ever feel a craving for them as used to, i'm not addicted anymore. Just as people are addicted to sugar (through sweets, chocolate, soda etcetc) most western people also are addicted to grains. There's been a lot of research about grains and how humans digest them and there is a lot of evidence that grains aren't really that good for us after all.

If you look back in history you can see that humans haven't incorporated grains as such a big part of their diet as we do today. We have been evolving for 2,000,000 years and farming for 10,000. If those 2,000,000 years haven't really changed our physique that drastically why do we expect that 10,000 years will have adapted our bodies to deal with grains? Before the agricultural revolution humans were hunters and gatherers, we didn't eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. We ate whatever we could find, fruit, vegetables, meat, nuts etc. The thing is that grains actually cause an inflammation in our bodies that weakens our immune system (in the intestines) and makes us prone to diseases of all kinds. Disease like diabetes (type 2), rheumatism, multiple sclerosis, cancer and many more have been linked to the consumption of grains. Also think about the coincidence that disease plagued the worlds population just after the beginning of the neolithic revolution, see the link? Gluten intolerance. I won't paraphrase the whole thing, its better that you read this if you're interested.

Ok this is probably not really what you were hoping for sorry about the rant, but if you're intrigued, watch this.
OrangeFilterSky
Report 11 years ago
I generally have 50g cereal (branflakes etc) and 125ml milk. Still works out low enough for me to have been losing weight but fills me up more than the suggested serving.
RoslynCarter
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by keepoffthelawn)
Tbh i'd just throw the cereals out the window, they're useless.. you're much better off having a bowl of plain yoghurt (doesn't have to be fat-free or anything) with some fresh or frozen berries/banana/any other fruit. Its just as filling imo and much much healthier than eating so many grains. In the end its up to you, but i can assure you that i've almost completely given up grains (i do have the odd quinoa and rye bread every now and then) and i've successfully lost weight without having to starve myself or obsessively count calories. Before you start thinking i'm on some low-carb diet like atkins or whatever - I'm not.

I get plenty of carbs from fruits and vegetables, i make sure i get enough of Omega-3s by taking omega capsules (more than the suggested amount because the officially suggested amount is an understatement especially for typical western diets) and vitamins (i take a good multivitamin). In the beginning it was really difficult to give up the potatoes, rice and pasta etc because they took up such a big part of my diet and seemed to be an 'obvious' and normal thing to eat. Now that i've given up on them i don't ever feel a craving for them as used to, i'm not addicted anymore. Just as people are addicted to sugar (through sweets, chocolate, soda etcetc) most western people also are addicted to grains. There's been a lot of research about grains and how humans digest them and there is a lot of evidence that grains aren't really that good for us after all.

If you look back in history you can see that humans haven't incorporated grains as such a big part of their diet as we do today. We have been evolving for 2,000,000 years and farming for 10,000. If those 2,000,000 years haven't really changed our physique that drastically why do we expect that 10,000 years will have adapted our bodies to deal with grains? Before the agricultural revolution humans were hunters and gatherers, we didn't eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. We ate whatever we could find, fruit, vegetables, meat, nuts etc. The thing is that grains actually cause an inflammation in our bodies that weakens our immune system (in the intestines) and makes us prone to diseases of all kinds. Disease like diabetes (type 2), rheumatism, multiple sclerosis, cancer and many more have been linked to the consumption of grains. Also think about the coincidence that disease plagued the worlds population just after the beginning of the neolithic revolution, see the link? Gluten intolerance. I won't paraphrase the whole thing, its better that you read this if you're interested.

Ok this is probably not really what you were hoping for sorry about the rant, but if you're intrigued, watch this.
Good good points. Eggs and veges for brekkie!x
watermelon sugar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
all bran + banana + hot soy milk
all smushed up it's the tastiest most filling breakfast cereal everrrrr. quite a bit of fibre ahy
Advertisement
Jennifer_l85
Rep:
?
(Original post by watermelon sugar)
all smushed up it's the tastiest most filling breakfast cereal everrrrr. quite a bit of fibre ahy
That sounds quite good actually. I don't like all bran but I might force myself to eat it because it's high in fibre and filling!
Floofy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
All this talk about actual cereal sizes is getting me down. I usually fill up my bowl with cornflakes, knowing it may not be the 30grams mentioned on the box.

Who weighs their food? - serious question.

(Original post by watermelon sugar)
I used to demolish a whole bowl of All Bran wixed with banana slices. IT'S SO LOVELY!
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I make a mix from oats, slivered almonds and raisins for active days (as I need the energy) and I use a small espresso cup to measure it out. I've weighed the contents of what the espresso cup scoops and looked up the calories of my mix - it's so easy just to scoop and then add a slosh of milk.

Otherwise, I always weigh out my cereal and milk and try to choose options that are low in salt. I have scales that I put my bowl on, zero, turn to gram weight, weigh cereal, zero, turn to ml weight, weigh milk.

Do other people not weigh out rice, potatoes, pasta, dried fruit, nuts...? I only don't weigh fresh vegetables and don't get carried away with fruit.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (22)
22.92%
No (74)
77.08%

Watched Threads