The Student Room Group

I hate being short.

I am a rugby player but i'm only 5ft7. It ******* pisses me off tbh, i feel bad about it. I probably have the most muscle mass in accordance to height in the whole college but being so short is just making me very insecure. Are people of that height looked down on?

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
I am a rugby player but i'm only 5ft7. It ******* pisses me off tbh, i feel bad about it. I probably have the most muscle mass in accordance to height in the whole college but being so short is just making me very insecure. Are people of that height looked down on?

Hey, I feel you pain man. I hate being short, if you go down to certain gyms, they are full of insecure short guys working out to try and make up there shortcomings (no pun intended).

But don't fret about it, being short and stocky gives you a lower centre of gravity which defo helps in your rugby game
Well I guess they are literally 'looked down upon'. lol

Na, my mate is the exact same as you, 5'7" rugby flanker/sprinter body...but gets a lot of girls and a respect cos he's a cool guy and very confident. There's seriously nothing you can do so just forget it, and work on the things you can change.
Reply 3
Junglytoofantyrepuncture
Hey, I feel you pain man. I hate being short, if you go down to certain gyms, they are full of insecure short guys working out to try and make up there shortcomings (no pun intended).

But don't fret about it, being short and stocky gives you a lower centre of gravity which defo helps in your rugby game

how tall are you?

Man, i'm naturally muscular but i want to go to the gym to do the same thing, maybe it'll work out.
Reply 4
Local_United_Fan
Well I guess they are literally 'looked down upon'. lol

Na, my mate is the exact same as you, 5'7" rugby flanker/sprinter body...but gets a lot of girls and a respect cos he's a cool guy and very confident. There's seriously nothing you can do so just forget it, and work on the things you can change.

How much does it affect him , and guys chances with girls? Its just that i have everything else.
Reply 5
Lol! Thought it said 'I hate being shot'! I was coming here to slow clap and marvel at your wisdom! :o:

Nothing wrong with being short. There are some mighty fine short men out there. :yep:
Reply 6
Anonymous
Well yes, because they're short... :ninja:

Anyway, since you have told no stories of actual problems occurring because of your height, it seems to me that any problems you do have are because of your own baseless insecurities. You're not even that short. If you're fit, happy and confidence you will be fine, so just get on with it!
Reply 7
Anonymous

To be honest your height will only ever be an issue if you make it one. 5'7'' really isn't that short for a bloke and because your a boy you'll carry on growing until your 21 and continue to fill out as you reach 25. I've met plenty of men who are smaller than that, in fact I have a close friend whose dad is only about 5'4'' and so I'm taller than him. Considering also the average height for a girl is 5'6'' you've stopped at just the right place. Honestly, don't give yourself a hard time about it, it's not a problem.
Reply 8
PlanetTea
To be honest your height will only ever be an issue if you make it one. 5'7'' really isn't that short for a bloke and because your a boy you'll carry on growing until your 21 and continue to fill out as you reach 25. I've met plenty of men who are smaller than that, in fact I have a close friend whose dad is only about 5'4'' and so I'm taller than him. Considering also the average height for a girl is 5'6'' you've stopped at just the right place. Honestly, don't give yourself a hard time about it, it's not a problem.

I've just turned 18, how much more do guys usually grow in height?
5'7 isnt that short in the grand scheme of things. Its something you need to accept, and with acceptance comes contentment.
tom cruise is 5ft 7. he seems to be doin alright :yy:
Reply 11
Tom Cruise is 1m70, so he is 5ft6.
Anonymous
How much does it affect him , and guys chances with girls? Its just that i have everything else.

Very little - guys tend to get disheartened when they hear girls talk about their perfect type - cos they always say 'tall'. But thats just fantasy.

In reality, if a goodlooking, confident, popular guy with a great body who just happens to be an inch less than average height approaches them and charms them, there is no way they are gonna turn him down simply due to his height.

The number one thing you have to understand about women: they can't intellectually stop themselves being turned on by you...they look at you and think, "he's kinda short" but they can't look at you and think "I'm not going to get wet/turned on"...its a subconcious thing. You need to be attractive and have good game - but height has little to do with it unless you're considerably shorter than her.
Reply 13
Anonymous
I've just turned 18, how much more do guys usually grow in height?

Well the average is 5'10'' but I'm certain that the majority of lads can grow taller between the ages of 18 and 21. Girls on the other hand generally stop at 16.
Reply 14
I hate being short too. I'm only about 5ft5/5ft6. My mates do make jokes about it but apart from that it's not really a problem.
Reply 15
On the bright side, you guys will look the most authentic when in hobbit costumes =]
PlanetTea

He probably won't grow. Some guys continue to grow into their twenties but it is not that common, I've certainly stopped growing (been 5' 9" for 3 years now)

And I was sure the average height for girls was 5'4"?
Anonymous

Listen. Women are looking for the best genetic material, at 5'7" you're at the bottom of the pile. Sorry, but that's the crux of it.
Reply 18
I am 5'6" and have to say i have no problem with it at all. It seem that others have a problem with it. namely guys at work. It seem i cant go through a day without a guy or 2 passing a remark. The remarks appear to mostly in good fun. but where does it stop? Is it appropriate to be remarked on everyday? I don't act as if it bothers me but it does in the only sense that these men are some what picking on me. I am confident but still don't like this. Its basically disrespectful. I respect others and expect the same. It's getting to the point where i am just going to have bust somebody's head open. you know? i know that sounds harsh, but it like hey enough is enough. how does that sound? :yes:
Reply 19
Al Pacino, Ben stiller, Jack Black, Bob dylan (Without the heels), the lead singer of Muse, and plenty of other really well liked dudes are all under 5'7. Who would have thought Al pacino, as bad ass as he is was only 5'5-5'6? Frank Sinatra himself was only about 5'7. Robert Deniro and Sylvester Stallone are not much taller. Just goes to show, being physically tall is not as important as being confident, and doing something good. As others have said, unless you're going for girls considerably taller than you I don't think there's any problem.

Don't worry OP. Generally people that make jokes or look down on others for being short or whatever it may be that they have no control over, have nothing else in their lives going for them but a few inches.

Quick Reply

Latest