Turn on thread page Beta

should donations to political parties/governments be banned? watch

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that big companies should be allowed to donate to political parties because of their motives to get a particular policy blocked/approved in parliament. One example of this was bernie ecclesstone and the row over tabacco advertising in Formula.
    Even if their motives are genuinely shifted towards their support of their chosen party's ideals the money would only be used to spin and advertise their way to into re-election/power. Any political party should be voted on the strengths of their policies and not if the are trendy and popular amongsts celebrities. Tell me what you think.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the money, then why not use it? Corruption will always be a part of government, no matter how benevolent they may seem. Get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    If you have the money, then why not use it? Corruption will always be a part of government, no matter how benevolent they may seem. Get used to it.
    As good a reason as any to allow it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    As good a reason as any to allow it. :rolleyes:
    Exactly. Politicians have to make money as well.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Politicians have to make money as well.
    But surely MP's and civil servants are paid for by our taxes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    But surely MP's and civil servants are paid for by our taxes?
    In service for running our country (albeit, badly) Tony Blair only recieves a salary of £85,000 / year.

That's about the same as a footballer would get in a week.

ReputationRep:
    In service for running our country (albeit, badly) Tony Blair only recieves a salary of £85,000 / year.

That's about the same as a footballer would get in a week.
    the same could be said for doctors, teachers and other people working in the public services. But ultimately the media has almost absolute power in dictating opinion and salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    the same could be said for doctors, teachers and other people working in the public services. But ultimately the media has almost absolute power in dictating opinion and salaries.
    The media has way too much power.

ReputationRep:
    You sure about that?? I thought the figure was usually about £150,000 for the PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    You sure about that?? I thought the figure was usually about £150,000 for the PM.
    If you include the fact that all bills are paid for him, then it probably is as high as that.

ReputationRep:
    I remember we had some poster at my school of the sort of figures that MP's receive. Back-benchers get the least amount and they get about £40,000.

ReputationRep:
    If you include the fact that all bills are paid for him, then it probably is as high as that.
    So there's no argument that MP's are undervalued then...
    with privilege come responsibilty

ReputationRep:
    I think the main issue is of the media having too much power over politics and are probably the main culprits in influencing the policy of political parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The higher figure is correct but don't you remember that Blair and rest of senior cabinet ministers did not take full pay so as to set an example. People soon forget those sort of gestures but will remember if big pay rises are self awarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    I think the main issue is of the media having too much power over politics and are probably the main culprits in influencing the policy of political parties.
    i don't think companies should be allowed to make donations to poliical parties at all. they've always got an ulterior motive, for example Esso made a huge donation in the US Gov in order to halt the Kyoto Treaty, which the UK is now trying to convince America to agree to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I remember we had some poster at my school of the sort of figures that MP's receive. Back-benchers get the least amount and they get about £40,000.
    That figure has gone up considerably, plus they get monies for researchers and something like £30,000 for secretaries who are usually their wives and only send out the Christmas cards! Remember IDS?

ReputationRep:
    I know, i said back-benchers. They don't have secretaries and government resources to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I know, i said back-benchers. They don't have secretaries and government resources to use.
    Sorry - skimmed over bit about back-benchers. But then they probably have a proper job as most of back benches only seem to be occupied during PMQ's so it's like pocket money to them. They get more money as well from asking questions for back-handers.

ReputationRep:
    Of course people should be able to give money to any political parties.

It's a form of free speech.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.