Turn on thread page Beta

is the acceptance of a multicultural society a breeding ground for racism watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm always hearing things from the news of Bradford and the supposed self-imposed seggragation of the white and asian communities. You hear stories of new mosques being built and then being vandelised within a week, and asylum seekers having a better quality of life than the poor working class who aren't givin free housing and benifits. So the locals are forced to vote for the BNP not because they are racist but because they object to the asylums apparently better quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    I'm always hearing things from the news of Bradford and the supposed self-imposed seggragation of the white and asian communities. You hear stories of new mosques being built and then being vandelised within a week, and asylum seekers having a better quality of life than the poor working class who aren't givin free housing and benifits. So the locals are forced to vote for the BNP not because they are racist but because they object to the asylums apparently better quality of life.
    more people than ever before have joined the BNP

ReputationRep:
    It's the government's fault (isn't it always?), they insist on bringing in more and more asylum seekers - what do they expect to happen? That everyone will live in blissful harmony?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    It's the government's fault (isn't it always?), they insist on bringing in more and more asylum seekers - what do they expect to happen? That everyone will live in blissful harmony?
    i agree. it'd be fine if it was a quick turnover of asylum seekers, u know, a kind of "you're in, you're out" type thing, but the worst thing is it often takes more than 6 months to process an application for asylum, and in that time the gov has to pay for food, housing, schooling, healthcare etc etc, as the asylum seekers aren't legally allowed to work. many just disappear and are never seen again, oddly enough, because the system for asylum seekers is in such a mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    i agree. it'd be fine if it was a quick turnover of asylum seekers, u know, a kind of type thing, but the worst thing is it often takes more than 6 months to process an application for asylum, and in that time the gov has to pay for food, housing, schooling, healthcare etc etc, as the asylum seekers aren't legally allowed to work. many just disappear and are never seen again, oddly enough, because the system for asylum seekers is in such a mess.
    see the difficult thing is that if we put them in housing, the poor people will complain and if they are put into camps , human rights activists would have a filed day.the "you're in, you're out" policy might well work but then the right to justice or to appeal against decisions is denyed to the asylums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    see the difficult thing is that if we put them in housing, the poor people will complain and if they are put into camps , human rights activists would have a filed day.the "you're in, you're out" policy might well work but then the right to justice or to appeal against decisions is denyed to the asylums.
    It's so difficult, there is no right way to do it. I think someone's going to have to make a stand on this matter and just get on with it, ignoring any cmplaints. i know that's not democracy but it seems the only way to get the asylum system sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Why not rename this thread "Racists' Corner".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    it's got nothing to do with racism. it's just that the system for asylum seekers is so messed up that they get messed around, stay in this country long enough to put down roots and then get kicked out. it's not fair on them. why is it that everytime issues like this get discussed someone gets accused of being racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    are you deliberately annoying or hateful?
    I think your sly comment is out of order, I myself is of asian descent and do not call myself a RACIST. I just wanted to c peoples view on a sensitive subject. BE constructive and get your facts right. There's no right or wrong/b or w. The thread just quotes what happens in certain circumstances how cultures are not being shared but being kept in small communities whereby they are purposefully seperating themselves to the rest of society. All i'm saying is that we should aim to have an integrated society, where muslim schools can coincide with english schools and be available to all races.

ReputationRep:
    i agree. it'd be fine if it was a quick turnover of asylum seekers, u know, a kind of "you're in, you're out" type thing, but the worst thing is it often takes more than 6 months to process an application for asylum, and in that time the gov has to pay for food, housing, schooling, healthcare etc etc, as the asylum seekers aren't legally allowed to work. many just disappear and are never seen again, oddly enough, because the system for asylum seekers is in such a mess.
    I guess I might have misconstrued your point because of the above quote. It's this "you're in, you're out" as though it's a foregone conclusion. The best thing would be to allow asylum seekers to work legally, pay taxes and provide for themselves and their families so as they cannot be blamed for being a burden on the public purse. We have many shortages for different occupations in the work force.

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, the BNP are infiltrating Manchester uni to encourage students to join them. Will the uni become a breeding ground for racism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I guess I might have misconstrued your point because of the above quote. It's this "you're in, you're out" as though it's a foregone conclusion. The best thing would be to allow asylum seekers to work legally, pay taxes and provide for themselves and their families so as they cannot be blamed for being a burden on the public purse. We have many shortages for different occupations in the work force.
    if they were trained in a skill (carpetary, plumming, electrician) and then went into a job, that would be gr8 as we have shortage of people in these professions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I agree, it would make much more sense if they were allowed to work. but to make a non-confrontational point, it's people who make accusations of racism like you who make others relucant to share their views for fear of recriminations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    why not..

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it would make much more sense if they were allowed to work. but to make a non-confrontational point, it's people who make accusations of racism like you who make others relucant to share their views for fear of recriminations.
    its just yawn 1's comments got me a little annoyed. I've actually haven't had many racist remarks thrown my way (which is a relief) and that i don't usually lash out, but his comment was very blunt.

ReputationRep:
    In response to the original question, it depends on attitudes. Those of the majority and minorities, how well the former receive the latter, and how well the latter integrate. Naturally the two are responses are interconnected.

(Original post by Mr White)
    It s obvious that the gov wants them to come. Precisely, the gov needs them.. Who is going to work on public works like road construction and maintenance etc for few money and for many working hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    why not..
    read my first post and see y this subject is not as right or wrong as it seems. We are not racists at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    it's harsh on both sides. i'm just glad i'm not a politician!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    It s obvious that the gov wants them to come. Precisely, the gov needs them.. Who is going to work on public works like road construction and maintenance etc for few money and for many working hours?
    but that throws a whole new argument about traffikers exploiting immigrants and when they enter if they are getting fair conditions at work.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.