The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Luciee
im thnkin of mice and men will be about the dreams of corse and the way that of mice and men ends where it begins, which shows that the dreams were neevr going to be reality

and i think a poem question will be about stealing- becuase they only changed this recently making it part of the 12 peoms we have to know
:o:

Thanks! More revision is needed I think! xD
EUGHREVISON
Poetry first, it's got more marks awarded. Anyone else stuck revising short stories tonight for the exam?

For my revision tonight what I'm doing is:

My structure for character questions is this:

How he's introduced
His actions
His relationship with others
Language and imagery
Symbolism

So it may vary slightly for a theme or symbol, but it's relatively the same.

Basically, I'm going through all characters/themes/symbols and filling in each of those points. I'm seeing how much I could fill in from memory and using resources to help me add extra details or any blank spaces.
Seeing as the question will be on the importance of such and such and how such and such is presented - bear that in mind.

I find this helps with my understanding and it's all pretty similar stuff so you should have no trouble remembering it. Then I'm not all confused on how to lay out my ideas when it comes to the exam. :yep:
Reply 42
Anyone got any idea what they think is going to come up as the questions to "to kill a mockingbird" Really going to struggle with it and any help in general will be muchly appriciated :smile:

My teacher thinks that there is most likely going to be a question about atticus or the finches in general and was wondering if anyone else had that same impression.

Thanks
R
I'm so nervous about poetry.
I really hope Stealing doesn't come up because it's a **** poem.
Or Hitcher because it's just..plain crazy.
Are you kidding? I LOVE Hitcher! lol
good luck evers.
Reply 46
arson
Is it definitely the CAD/ Simon Armitage poems (as opposed to the poems from different cultures)?

And has anyone got any good tips on how to structure the essays? We haven't done anywhere near enough practice at school :-( I'm looking to get an A/A*

For the poems?

First choose your four poems, then introduce them quickly. Save any brilliant insight for the conclusion.

Then go into a lot of detail about your favourite poem.

Then go into almost as much detail about your next favourite poem, concentrating on how it's similar to and different from the first.

Then do a little bit on the third favourite poem, but just compare it on a few areas that you think are most relevant.

Then bring in the final poem. This one might be really difficult to link to the theme, because you ran out of poems that were actually about the theme, so just concentrate on how it relates to the theme (apologies for repeated use of the word 'theme') and maybe one other relevant thing.

Then conclude it by mentioning one or two points that link the poems, and add a personal response. In your personal response, make it sound like you really learned a lesson about life from reading these poems, because examiners like to feel justified in putting you through all that crap.
Reply 47
Yes the 45 minute inspector calls/death of a salesman essay was able to be take in Jan like I did so some will have a 2 h 15 exam including it and others wil have 1 h 30 without it.
fubsadoo
For the poems?

First choose your four poems, then introduce them quickly. Save any brilliant insight for the conclusion.

Then go into a lot of detail about your favourite poem.

Then go into almost as much detail about your next favourite poem, concentrating on how it's similar to and different from the first.

Then do a little bit on the third favourite poem, but just compare it on a few areas that you think are most relevant.

Then bring in the final poem. This one might be really difficult to link to the theme, because you ran out of poems that were actually about the theme, so just concentrate on how it relates to the theme (apologies for repeated use of the word 'theme') and maybe one other relevant thing.

Then conclude it by mentioning one or two points that link the poems, and add a personal response. In your personal response, make it sound like you really learned a lesson about life from reading these poems, because examiners like to feel justified in putting you through all that crap.

Aw, thanks for that! Good luck everyone :-)
mines two hours fifteen minutes. greaaat.

i'm doing inspector calls, of mice and men and post-1914 poems..
Reply 50
Marshmellow.
For my revision tonight what I'm doing is:

My structure for character questions is this:

How he's introduced
His actions
His relationship with others
Language and imagery
Symbolism

So it may vary slightly for a theme or symbol, but it's relatively the same.

Basically, I'm going through all characters/themes/symbols and filling in each of those points. I'm seeing how much I could fill in from memory and using resources to help me add extra details or any blank spaces.
Seeing as the question will be on the importance of such and such and how such and such is presented - bear that in mind.

I find this helps with my understanding and it's all pretty similar stuff so you should have no trouble remembering it. Then I'm not all confused on how to lay out my ideas when it comes to the exam. :yep:

That's my structure, where's my credit? lol
Reply 51
It was a good exam. I did the question about dreams and found it easy.

Then for poetry I did the question about the endings.
i didn't go to my exam.. had a lie in instead. oh well.. its only english lit i 'spose.
Reply 53
Heya, hope exam went ok for everyone, can some1 tell me what the inspector calls, best words and of mice and men questions were, cos my little bros just done the exam and I wana know how hard the questions were?!
Reply 54
Elynnor1811
i didn't go to my exam.. had a lie in instead. oh well.. its only english lit i 'spose.

ROFFLLLLLL
idol!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I thought about doing the same... but actually went - did too much revision for it, so thought might as well o.O
Guaranteed epic fail O_O
Reply 55
1mhward
Heya, hope exam went ok for everyone, can some1 tell me what the inspector calls, best words and of mice and men questions were, cos my little bros just done the exam and I wana know how hard the questions were?!

Oops, double post..
Well, the OMAM questions were: b) the importance of dreams to the novel;
a) how Steinbeck creates sympathy for Lennie
Reply 56
thanks, sound like ok questions

Latest