The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jelephant
That's what I wrote :yep:

Good times! Was beginning to doubt myself there hah!:biggrin:
I'm really happy with how it went, much better than expected at least!

I did Q2 and Q5 - The last one in 5 - name 6 market groups other than age - threw me a little, so I made up a few :s-smilie:.

So glad it's over, that class was slowly killing me.
Reply 22
That could have been the most boring exam I've ever sat to be honest. VERY aware of the time. Did anyone else find that they were writing 12 separate points for a four mark question, then realising they've got to balance out their time?

The answers to ALL the questions can be found and lifted from the leckie and leckie books, which was a bit disappointing, I eventually got a bit annoyed and frustrated at the questions lacking imagination that I resorted to making silly answers like "senior managers have to pull the firm out of the mud if their decisions are bad" or "online shopping is useful for those who cannot/cannot be bothered to go to the physical shop"

Now that I've sat all the higher subjects I've chosen, I can safely say bus man has been the easiest higher that I've done, I'd be gutted if I've lost any marks for it if I'm honest :/ Anyone else with me?
yosrush
That could have been the most boring exam I've ever sat to be honest. VERY aware of the time. Did anyone else find that they were writing 12 separate points for a four mark question, then realising they've got to balance out their time?

The answers to ALL the questions can be found and lifted from the leckie and leckie books, which was a bit disappointing, I eventually got a bit annoyed and frustrated at the questions lacking imagination that I resorted to making silly answers like "senior managers have to pull the firm out of the mud if their decisions are bad" or "online shopping is useful for those who cannot/cannot be bothered to go to the physical shop"

Now that I've sat all the higher subjects I've chosen, I can safely say bus man has been the easiest higher that I've done, I'd be gutted if I've lost any marks for it if I'm honest :/ Anyone else with me?

Last year one of my friends were so fed up of the above he failed on purpose :P
Reply 24
Jelephant
Last year one of my friends were so fed up of the above he failed on purpose :P

That's just silly, although the thought of 'if I miss out one of the essay questions and just leave now, would I still get an A?' did cross my mind. :p:
Reply 25
Most of the people I've spoken to did 1 and 2, and I did them too.
Was so chuffed with the questions, it was all the stuff I studied yesterday in a panic!
:p:
Think I messed up the field research question and I forgot to write "Re-order quantity" on the stock level diagram but did everything else so hopefully not done too badly.
Feeling quite confident overall, but don't want to jinx it
What did people write for the temporary contract one?
bex285
Most of the people I've spoken to did 1 and 2, and I did them too.
Was so chuffed with the questions, it was all the stuff I studied yesterday in a panic!
Think I messed up the field research question and I forgot to write "Re-order quantity" on the stock level diagram but did everything else so hopefully not done too badly.
Feeling quite confident overall, but don't want to jinx it
What did people write for the temporary contract one?

High staff turnover - costs lots to train new staff
Low staff morale - Staff have no future prospects so may be unhappy at work

Can't remember what else I said though
Reply 27
francescayeah
High staff turnover - costs lots to train new staff
Low staff morale - Staff have no future prospects so may be unhappy at work

Can't remember what else I said though

I think I've messed that question up.
I said that they could have extra staff only when required e.g. airports hire more staff during the summer as that is when more people go abroad so that is the peak time for airports. Also they didn't have to give the temporary staff benefits that they give permanent staff e.g. holidays, so they could ensure they were getting the maximum amount of work possible for the money.
Reply 28
thought it was a decent paper on the whole. did questions 1 and 3.

that 8 mark describe field research question was a gift from the gods. i did questionnaires, telephone survey, personal interview and consumer edit. and gave advantages/disadvantages for each one. considered doing question 4 for quite a while but that 7 marker at the start was enough to put me off. i understood the question but not a chance in hell i could write 7 things about the wide span of control or whatever it was.
Reply 29
My brother did this in the morning and he said it went fine. He did question 2 and 4 but thought the case study was a bit tricky at points.

I'm doing Intermediate 2 BM and I must say, I would have probably gotten a B or something because it's pretty much the same course except you need to know a bit more for Higher. I have my Int 2 one tomorrow!!
Reply 30
RizzyI
I have my Int 2 one tomorrow!!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 31
yosrush

i would agree that bus man is one of the easiest and most boring highers unless you have a very very strong interest in the basics of how businesses operates but even then i don't see how anyone could genuinely find it interesting. like someone said the course is really similar to int 2, leckie and leckie produce the course notes in the same book, which is crazy. taking it as a higher instead of crashing higher biology a bit of a regret for me.

although i don't think i've done quite as well as i could have done i think i've still got an A.
Reply 32
Dado Prso
thought it was a decent paper on the whole. did questions 1 and 3.

that 8 mark describe field research question was a gift from the gods. i did questionnaires, telephone survey, personal interview and consumer edit. and gave advantages/disadvantages for each one. considered doing question 4 for quite a while but that 7 marker at the start was enough to put me off. i understood the question but not a chance in hell i could write 7 things about the wide span of control or whatever it was.

I did 1 and 3 as well, I did postal surveys, personal interviews, telephone interviews and observations. Had to be careful when describing observation so it didn't sound like stalking though...:o:
Reply 33
Dado Prso
i would agree that bus man is one of the easiest and most boring highers unless you have a very very strong interest in the basics of how businesses operates but even then i don't see how anyone could genuinely find it interesting. like someone said the course is really similar to int 2, leckie and leckie produce the course notes in the same book, which is crazy. taking it as a higher instead of crashing higher biology a bit of a regret for me.

although i don't think i've done quite as well as i could have done i think i've still got an A.

Higher biology is probably more interesting, but it's also more work, much more to memorise.

I crashed higher bus man for 6th year as a timetable filler; we've got to take four subjects regardless of level. The only revision I did for it was a total of about five hours over the weekend, and even I felt that was a bit too much.

I just don't like how the course is basically a supplement to common sense. If you're making fewer sales, then chances are your profits will fall.

:eek:
bex285
I think I've messed that question up.
I said that they could have extra staff only when required e.g. airports hire more staff during the summer as that is when more people go abroad so that is the peak time for airports. Also they didn't have to give the temporary staff benefits that they give permanent staff e.g. holidays, so they could ensure they were getting the maximum amount of work possible for the money.

Don't worry! They only asked for the effects of temporary staff (cant remember the exact question as inviligator took question papaer away!), so it could be positive or negative!
Reply 35
francescayeah
Don't worry! They only asked for the effects of temporary staff (cant remember the exact question as inviligator took question papaer away!), so it could be positive or negative!

Awh thank God :| i've got my paper here but didn't think to look lol.
what did people write for how a manger could assess the effectiveness of a decision- would you get full marks for using POGADSCIE or did you have to use SWOT analysis?

also for next bit about factors which could affect quality of a decision made by manager, had no idea about this, what did people write?
also would a questionnaire be included in a method of field research?
Reply 38
I did questions 2 and 3. Everyone else did question 1 lol. I thought it looked a decent question until i got to the last couple of parts where it asks for a diagram. I didn't have a clue about what to write for that so picked 3 instead as I thought that wasn't too bad. And yeah it was the effects of hiring temp staff :-), got the paper here
Reply 39
Crazylittlefool - x
what did people write for how a manger could assess the effectiveness of a decision- would you get full marks for using POGADSCIE or did you have to use SWOT analysis?

also for next bit about factors which could affect quality of a decision made by manager, had no idea about this, what did people write?

you can't use decision making models like pogadscie and swot to evaluate the effectiveness of a decision. i think what they were looking for was stuff like.. look at sales and profits, look at staff turnover, look at staff absenteeism, look at staff morale, give questionnaires to employees and customers so the manager can collate opinions on the decision etc.

for the factors i wrote stuff like the ability of the employees, the attitude of the employees, the availability of good quality information, financial cost of implementing decision etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending