Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing an essay on Tess of the D'Urbervilles for English..."Chart the stages of Alec's seduction of Tess in the first book (the maiden). Decide what Hardy's attitudes are towards the two charecters in the first part of the novel."

Any ideas?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I'm writing an essay on Tess of the D'Urbervilles for English..."Chart the stages of Alec's seduction of Tess in the first book (the maiden). Decide what Hardy's attitudes are towards the two charecters in the first part of the novel."

Any ideas?!
    i had to do that book last year 4 my gcse coursework and i hated it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruceleemk2)
    i had to do that book last year 4 my gcse coursework and i hated it.

that was the worst thing i had to ever endure in school.

to watch both films 10 times- it was discusting.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

Any ideas?!

is alec the old guy?

if so, you could mention someithng bout the way hardy found it acceptable for him to act however he went, but tess was given less of an opinion coz she was a girl.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    that was the worst thing i had to ever endure in school.

to watch both films 10 times- it was discusting.

love Katy ***
    we did watch 1 of the films but every1 fell asleep so the teacher didnt put it on agen!lol

ReputationRep:
    we did watch 1 of the films but every1 fell asleep so the teacher didnt put it on agen!lol

it was our media piece, we never read the book, just compared the two films.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Hardy's really .. cinematographic in his description, so instances with Alec are often in nasty surrounds.. and maybe some pathetic fallacy with the weather. (sorry ,can't think of examples without the book). He's there's some hints that he drugs her when he 'rapes' her. (have to put that in inverted commas as it's not explicit)..

The fact that Alec is not a real d'urberville is significant.. it shows the reader that he's not what he makes himself out to be which is proleptic of the outcome of their relationship.

There are lots of little proleptic things. A sense that tragedy is inevitable.

Tess is seen as something of a stoic because she takes the work with alec despite not wanting to , for her family's sake. She feels a strong sense of guilt when prince dies (also prophesising her fate).. Umm... Hardy presents her as rather sensuous with pouty lips (again,you'll need to quote to back that up!)

That's about the extent of my memory of the subject. Not very good seeing as I only did the exam a couple of months ago!! Hope it was a little helpful though

ReputationRep:
    In conclusion you might like to say (if you agree with me!) that Hardy is empathetic towards tess, and portrays her favourably whereas there's something suspicious about alec and he's just not right. If you've read further than the first bit then you'll know that it's all in contrast with angel who is portrayed as just.. perfect.

I don't like alec!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    In conclusion you might like to say (if you agree with me!) that Hardy is empathetic towards tess, and portrays her favourably whereas there's something suspicious about alec and he's just not right. If you've read further than the first bit then you'll know that it's all in contrast with angel who is portrayed as just.. perfect.

I don't like alec!!!
    wow!isnt alec the old boy that go it on wit her?

ReputationRep:
    wow!isnt alec the old boy that go it on wit her?
    Well yeah but not in a nice way, he raped her. Got her pregant. Then she has the baby and it dies.

Really cheerful that book

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.