This discussion is closed.
Pjj
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Our school is "downsizing" from 6 classes to 5. We've always had mixed classes - Y3, Y3/4, Y4. Y5,
Y5/6 and Y6. and followed a two year cycle.

We will now have Y3, Y3/4, Y4/5, Y5 and Y6. How do we then plan the curriculum - especially with the
Y4/5 class??

any ideas appreciated.

[email protected]
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
with difficulty

"PJJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Our school is "downsizing" from 6 classes to 5. We've always had mixed classes - Y3, Y3/4, Y4. Y5,[/q1]
[q1]> Y5/6 and Y6. and followed a two year cycle.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> We will now have Y3, Y3/4, Y4/5, Y5 and Y6. How do we then plan the curriculum - especially with[/q1]
[q1]> the Y4/5 class??[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> any ideas appreciated.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected][/q1]
Sarah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Really not advisable. Had 2/ 3 once and it was such a headache. Sorry.

--
Sarah Ian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> with difficulty[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "PJJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Our school is "downsizing" from 6 classes to 5. We've always had mixed classes - Y3, Y3/4, Y4.[/q2]
[q2]> > Y5, Y5/6 and Y6. and followed a two year cycle.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > We will now have Y3, Y3/4, Y4/5, Y5 and Y6. How do we then plan the curriculum - especially with[/q2]
[q2]> > the Y4/5 class??[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > any ideas appreciated.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > [email protected][/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
Philip Edwards
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"> > We will now have Y3, Y3/4, Y4/5, Y5 and Y6. How do we then plan the
[q2]> > curriculum - especially with the Y4/5 class??[/q2]

Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Had a mixed Year 4, 5 for the best part of 6 years. It was
hell. I had to teach two completely different topics in Science, Geography and History.

I am not exagerating here.......I would strongly advise you to get another job. It nearly drove me
to drink and divorce on many an occasion. Now I just take Year 5. Don't think I'm young enough any
more to take the strain. Good luck,

Phil
Kathy McIntosh
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] om>, Philip Edwards
<[email protected] u.btopenworld.com> writes
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>"> > We will now have Y3, Y3/4, Y4/5, Y5 and Y6. How do we then plan the[/q1]
[q2]>> > curriculum - especially with the Y4/5 class??[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Had a mixed Year 4, 5 for the best part of 6 years. It was[/q1]
[q1]>hell. I had to teach two completely different topics in Science, Geography and History.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I am not exagerating here.......I would strongly advise you to get another job. It nearly drove me[/q1]
[q1]>to drink and divorce on many an occasion. Now I just take Year 5. Don't think I'm young enough any[/q1]
[q1]>more to take the strain. Good luck,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Phil[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Sorry, but this had me in fits of hysterical laughter.

I am just finishing a year with 1 Y2, 3 Y3 and 4 Y4. The Y2 is brighter than the rest put together,
and one Y3 is functioning at about R level on a good day.

My Head recently presented me with my choice of year group for next term and the Governors have
awarded me a paid days leave, to be taken when I like [within reason]. My colleagues smile pityingly
at me, feed me chocolate, and then keep well clear, and no one seems to find my standing in the
middle of the field screaming at the end of the day a problem anymore.

I can certainly differentiate now, and my planning file is twice the size of anyone else's.

Just two year groups of plain, average children, would be bliss.
--
Kathy There is nothing more dangerous than a man with an idea.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.14%
No (519)
65.86%

Watched Threads