The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol................................... (speechless)
Well, I gues 3x10^8 was sarcy!
Yes, indeed.
Blates as
You'd be suprised what a good personal statement and awesome work experience can do - it go me into medical school and I only have 4Bs abd 7Cs at GCSE!!!

good luck.

I hope you don't find me rude for asking, but how did you manage to get offers from Southampton and manchester when you don't meet their minimum GCSE requirements?
I'm not calling you a liar; I'm just curious.
ThePenguinMafia
I hope you don't find me rude for asking, but how did you manage to get offers from Southampton and manchester when you don't meet their minimum GCSE requirements?

Good Q.
Reply 25
ThePenguinMafia

I'm dyslexic, though obviously not severely. It went largely undetected until I was 16, just after finishing my GCSEs. After being "diagnosed" I had extremely attentive teachers who were willing to jump over backwards to make sure I did well. My headteacher wrote my reference.

Manchester seem to be quite sympathetic to such people, I think theres five of us in my year. We all were made offers of BBB.

However, though I may have received some special treatment as far as my UCAS form and getting an interview was concerned, I still had to achieve the same standard at interview as anybody else. I was assured beforehand by them that that would be the case.
Blates as
jump over backwards

"Bend over backwards" actually.

Sorry - I'm super fussed over these things!
Reply 27
abhineyjain
"Bend over backwards" actually.

Sorry - I'm super fussed over these things!

Well actually, in deepest darkest Devon we've always said "jump over backwards".

Mind you, the grockles always think our ways our strange...
just a question as a fellow dyslexic who has been diagonsed for about 4 years.
do u find it hard all the remebering and everything.
also i do not write - well i do but reading its an issue 60% of my writting can not be read - i therefore type everything - exams and all. do you have and advice u could give!!!!!
Reply 29
specialhelen
just a question as a fellow dyslexic who has been diagonsed for about 4 years.
do u find it hard all the remebering and everything.
also i do not write - well i do but reading its an issue 60% of my writting can not be read - i therefore type everything - exams and all. do you have and advice u could give!!!!!

Hey. I don't find the learning and remembering difficult and my writing is a lot better than it was. I reckon i could do a written exam now and not lose marks because of it being illegible! It just took lots of practice.

The exams in the pre-clinical years at Manchester are mostly multiple choice so writing isn't really an issue. I managed to get honours (75%) for my first semester and the other dyslexics were all in the top half of the year.

Universities are extremely knowledgable about the difficulties people with dyslexia face and realise we can be as intelligent as anybody else. All the universities I applied to encouraged me to do so and Manchester are excellent.

If you want to apply for medicine then contact the medical schools first for advice and get the best work experience you can. I deferred for a year and went to work in a medical station on a ranch in Australia after my A Levels - they seemed quite impressed that I was going to do this in my interviews!

Latest

Trending

Trending