The Student Room Group

Can I feed this to my dog?

He always eats his regular dog food but I thought I'd treat him to a piece of meat, so I bought gammon steak.
Is this okay to feed to a dog or will it cause him problems?

The reason I ask is because I read this online:

Ham and other salty meats and foods are very dangerous to pets. In addition to being high in fat, they are also very salty which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called "bloat." This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing the pet to die. Please avoid giving ham and salty foods to your pets.

:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dogs eating meat causes them do die does it?

Well how the hell do wild dogs survive then.

Just ignore that article, you dog will be fine.
You probably shouldn't buy meat exclusively for your dog, but giving leftovers should be fine... I doubt your dog will die from it, but dogs can go off their own food if you feed them a lot of meat. Plus, it makes them stink. My grandma's dog smells disgustingly of mince, because that's all she feeds it and the dog's sweat reflects what they eat.

In response to Meagz, 'dogs in the wild' don't eat meat which has been salted. But your dog should be fine, really. Blahblahblah.
Reply 3
Meagz, you are incorrect.

Gammon is cured with salt, meaning there is excess salt than the meat would usually have (gammon is rarely served fresh, it's almost always cured).

This is BAD for dogs.
Meagz

Those were my original thoughts too, that's why I was unsure but after more googling it appears to be ham/gammon which is the problem - beef/lamb are fine apparently. I think I'll just leave it and give him his dog food...
Reply 5
somethingbeautiful
Those were my original thoughts too, that's why I was unsure but after more googling it appears to be ham/gammon which is the problem - beef/lamb are fine apparently. I think I'll just leave it and give him his dog food...

to treat my dog i give him cooked chicken breast :borat: he loves it

i cut it up into small chunks and boil it :awesome:
DisgruntledMoth
You probably shouldn't buy meat exclusively for your dog, but giving leftovers should be fine... I doubt your dog will die from it, but dogs can go off their own food if you feed them a lot of meat. Plus, it makes them stink. My grandma's dog smells disgustingly of mince, because that's all she feeds it and the dog's sweat reflects what they eat.

In response to Meagz, 'dogs in the wild' don't eat meat which has been salted. But your dog should be fine, really. Blahblahblah.

Say Wha?!

Dogs don't sweat. Idiot.
Too salty, feed it fresh meat, not preserved crap.
Reply 8
PillyBilgrim
Say Wha?!

Dogs don't sweat. Idiot.

Yer but they do smell..

Used to feed my dog chicken all the time, she LOVED it. so if you wanna get some meat get some chicken!

But yer beware what moth said.

The first few times we gave her chicken (gave her leftovers from sunday roast) she would never eat anything but chicken.

We had to fill her bowl with dog food and leave it there. normally she'd leave it for the whole day, and then eat it at some point when we're all asleep, pretending it just magically 'disappeared'
yoshifumu
Yer but they do smell..

Used to feed my dog chicken all the time, she LOVED it. so if you wanna get some meat get some chicken!

But yer beware what moth said.

The first few times we gave her chicken (gave her leftovers from sunday roast) she would never eat anything but chicken.

We had to fill her bowl with dog food and leave it there. normally she'd leave it for the whole day, and then eat it at some point when we're all asleep, pretending it just magically 'disappeared'

If your dog smells, put it under a hose or something. Problem solved. Don't blame it on whatever you feed it. Just clean the thing.
Reply 10
Give him chocolate instead. Everybody likes chocolate.
PillyBilgrim
If your dog smells, put it under a hose or something. Problem solved. Don't blame it on whatever you feed it. Just clean the thing.

Bit late now, my dogs long gone.

To be fair we didn't clean it much... it was happy enough anyway.
Colonel Brusnahan
Give him chocolate instead. Everybody likes chocolate.

hello again.

And I'm hoping your joking. if you are :biggrin:

If not :eek3:
Meagz

It's the kind of meat that has salt added to it, much more than there is salt in the meat of natural prey animals of the wolves.
Reply 14
yoshifumu
hello again.

And I'm hoping your joking. if you are :biggrin:

If not :eek3:

We really do bump into each other a bit.
And it was a joke, just a cruel one.
give him a bit, but certainly not a whole gammon steak, they're expensive for start as well as the fact that its too salty for dogs.
Meagz

I'd imagine through evolution through the years, and what the actual fresh animal meat is like.

I wouldn't give it if I were unsure op.
Give it dog food and eat the gammon yourself. Sorted.
PillyBilgrim
Say Wha?!

Dogs don't sweat. Idiot.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they do...

EDIT: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/7929

There, **** you. Jesus, I hate people who barge in cock first, insulting you and then, as always, assuming that they are right and everyone else is the goddamn universe is wrong.
Reply 19
somethingbeautiful
He always eats his regular dog food but I thought I'd treat him to a piece of meat, so I bought gammon steak.
Is this okay to feed to a dog or will it cause him problems?

The reason I ask is because I read this online:

:s-smilie:

Go for it, GO WILD! :woo:

Latest