Should private school be closed? Watch

This discussion is closed.
brasil85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I would say no, you see I went to priavte school so I would no. Private are great.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
do u live on the same planet at the rest of us???

love Katy ***
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What a ridiculous question. I didnt even think this was an issue.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
of course they shouldnt, the give rich kids a better start in life than the rest of us.

love Katy ***
brasil85
Rep:
?
No I was joking, I hate some of them like Eton
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That Q is like asking should ppl have their homes taken away and be forced to live in worker's barracks
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In my Halls of Residence I was the only person to go to a State School; all the others went to Private.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MurphysMoment.)
In my Halls of Residence I was the only person to go to a State School; all the others went to Private.
Where was that?
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the issue shouldn't be what to do with the private or grammar schools, it should be how to get lowest performing stateschools up to scratch. At the moment i'm volunteering in a "failing" school in bristol and was shocked at how little facilities there were. One of the teachers was telling me that in Bristol the comprehsives arn't truely comprehensive because there are huge numbers of private and grammar schools and basically the state schools get whats left. I went to a state school but it was a nice one. I felt so sorry for the kids and teachers that were there
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Closed, probably not. Given the choice of going state or closure, probably.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
the issue shouldn't be what to do with the private or grammar schools, it should be how to get lowest performing stateschools up to scratch.
Well, you start by establishing an egalitarian system, whereby those schools get as much money as any other.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Personally, I have no probs with private schools - if people want to spend their money on fees so be it. What I am against is elitism in state schools - I think state grammars should be compelled to take all-ability students or go fee-paying. I know this is going to start a debate on grammar schools by those who are attending them saying they give opportunities to poor bright kids but this is a fallacy and I have facts to prove it, so just you dare!
Is your question based on the opinion given by an Oxford Don in the on-line Telegraph (education)? A really good read for those interested.
PRIVATESKLGIRL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
whats wrong with Eton?- brasil85. its got nice people who go there! i dont think private schools should be closed down.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Personally, I have no probs with private schools - if people want to spend their money on fees so be it. What I am against is elitism in state schools - I think state grammars should be compelled to take all-ability students or go fee-paying. I know this is going to start a debate on grammar schools by those who are attending them saying they give opportunities to poor bright kids but this is a fallacy and I have facts to prove it, so just you dare!
Is your question based on the opinion given by an Oxford Don in the on-line Telegraph (education)? A really good read for those interested.
I am from a poor background yet Grammar school does give you opportunities believe me
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I think state grammars should be compelled to take all-ability students or go fee-paying. I know this is going to start a debate on grammar schools by those who are attending them saying they give opportunities to poor bright kids but this is a fallacy and I have facts to prove it, so just you dare!
mmmmmm, yeah i go to a state grammar.

the thing i like about it isn't that it has better facitilies than other schools, isn't that everyone's clever, it's that to get in everybody had to put effort into doing an exam, so everybody wanted to come here (otherwise they wouldn't have passed the test) and because everyone wanted to come here people have respect for each other...

I wouldn't want to go to a private school. I saw some people from private pimary schools at our school's induction day dressed in blazers that were totally multicoloured, probably designed to be as eye-catching as possible because private schools want to advertise themselves... i almost felt sorry for them it must be so embarrassing

my local state comps are hopeless because I live in a bad area for them, it's not the funding and all that it's the catchment areas - is that my fault?

and what are these facts, mr. yawn1?
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
mmmmmm, yeah i go to a state grammar.

the thing i like about it isn't that it has better facitilies than other schools, isn't that everyone's clever, it's that to get in everybody had to put effort into doing an exam, so everybody wanted to come here (otherwise they wouldn't have passed the test) and because everyone wanted to come here people have respect for each other...

I wouldn't want to go to a private school. I saw some people from private pimary schools at our school's induction day dressed in blazers that were totally multicoloured, probably designed to be as eye-catching as possible because private schools want to advertise themselves... i almost felt sorry for them it must be so embarrassing

my local state comps are hopeless because I live in a bad area for them, it's not the funding and all that it's the catchment areas - is that my fault?

and what are these facts, mr. yawn1?
I hate Yawn's misinformed jealous views
brasil85
Rep:
?
Private school are much better. Working class don't fit in with private schools, the working class should stay at grammer school, where other working boys and girls go too.
brasil85
Rep:
?
Private school are much better. Working class don't fit in with private schools, the working class should stay at grammer school, where other working boys and girls go too. Only very stong minded working class boys should be allowed. My best friend is working class
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
education shouldnt be determined by wealth. period
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by brasil85)
Private school are much better. Working class don't fit in with private schools, the working class should stay at grammer school, where other working boys and girls go too.
Why segregate?...do you believe in this Class conflict Marxist type idealogy?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise