Turn on thread page Beta

Dissapointed by the Stop the War Coalition watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m so disappointed with the stop the war protestors. I was against the war in Iraq but I feel like the opposition is becoming childish, doing nothing to help the opposition to the war.

It’s seems like they just tried to create as much hype and publicity and ended up ignoring the real issues. I know that at the present time it’s important to create publicity and to get people on board but that’s no reason to forget the real issues. Burning Geroge Bush images or wearing those stupid Bush/Blair masks doesn’t get any sensible discussion going. And how the hell you can call Bush stupid when you’re just an idiot in a mask??? Then there are those who are protesting just to say that they were there (??) and those who just see it as a way of re-living anti-Vietnam war memories. Not to mention the kids who are just trying to get off school (I’m not saying that every kid is like that).

I also have my doubts of they kind of half-ass sound bytes that these “anti-war protesters” call arguments against. Those comments like:

“We should leave Iraq”- I think we’re in too deep to leave now

“It’s all about oil”- can anyone actually justify this?? Is there any research to back it up?? If we wanted the oil we could have appeased Saddam and just purchased the oil just like we appease every other leader who has some precious resource. And with hybrid cars coming out next year, we’ve got SUVs doing something crazy like 60mpg, we don’t really need that much oil and there is plenty in Russia that hasn’t been utilized.

And I think some of the Stop the War coalitions ideas need to be reconsidered. In particular saying that fighting terrorism will cause racism in our country. That hasn’t happened!! And Osama’s bunch is the most racist and fascist group since the Nazis. Yet, the Stop the War coalition continues to defend the fascist terrorists and also support their ridiculous conspiracy theories, in the form of links to websites such as 911truth.org. They also choose to ignore the suffering of Israeli’s whilst support the action of Palestinians. (is that because they believe the Jewish conspiracy??) I just can’t understand why aggression by a state is seen as evil whereas aggression by terrorists can be justified. The most laughable thing is that the left wing organisations (trade unions, and political parts) are a part of the Stop the War coalition, but then they go ahead and seemingly support fascist terrorism!!

I can no longer support the Stop the War coalition, I think other people should do the same.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i agree, although i am sympathetic toward the palestinians

ReputationRep:
    Im sympathetic towards the palestinians too and the Israelis. I believe that's the way it should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    Im sympathetic towards the palestinians too and the Israelis. I believe that's the way it should be.
    indeedy. although arguably the israelis are the aggressors, historically.

ReputationRep:
    I’m so disappointed with the stop the war protestors. I was against the war in Iraq but I feel like the opposition is becoming childish, doing nothing to help the opposition to the war.

It’s seems like they just tried to create as much hype and publicity and ended up ignoring the real issues. I know that at the present time it’s important to create publicity and to get people on board but that’s no reason to forget the real issues. Burning Geroge Bush images or wearing those stupid Bush/Blair masks doesn’t get any sensible discussion going. And how the hell you can call Bush stupid when you’re just an idiot in a mask??? Then there are those who are protesting just to say that they were there (??) and those who just see it as a way of re-living anti-Vietnam war memories. Not to mention the kids who are just trying to get off school (I’m not saying that every kid is like that).

I also have my doubts of they kind of half-ass sound bytes that these “anti-war protesters” call arguments against. Those comments like:

“It’s all about oil”- can anyone actually justify this?? Is there any research to back it up?? If we wanted the oil we could have appeased Saddam and just purchased the oil just like we appease every other leader who has some precious resource. And with hybrid cars coming out next year, we’ve got SUVs doing something crazy like 60mpg, we don’t really need that much oil and there is plenty in Russia that hasn’t been utilized.

And I think some of the Stop the War coalitions ideas need to be reconsidered. In particular saying that fighting terrorism will cause racism in our country. That hasn’t happened!! And Osama’s bunch is the most racist and fascist group since the Nazis. Yet, the Stop the War coalition continues to defend the fascist terrorists and also support their ridiculous conspiracy theories, in the form of links to websites such as 911truth.org. They also choose to ignore the suffering of Israeli’s whilst support the action of Palestinians. (is that because they believe the Jewish conspiracy??) I just can’t understand why aggression by a state is seen as evil whereas aggression by terrorists can be justified. The most laughable thing is that the left wing organisations (trade unions, and political parts) are a part of the Stop the War coalition, but then they go ahead and seemingly support fascist terrorism!!

I can no longer support the Stop the War coalition, I think other people should do the same.

Thanks
    i see your point, people seem to be ignoring the real problems effecting iraq (security,stability and basic living conditions for people) for the obvious simplistic opinion that bush/blair mucked up, our soldiers keep dieing, its illegal...lets get out now.

the coalition has to leave iraq in a decent state and ensure that the iraqis can rule themselves and people have decent living conditions.

people seem to be using this war as an excuse to getting at bush/america. the majority do care immensely about whats going on in iraq, but to them its only an example in a long list of wrongs against america

ReputationRep:
    Stop the War coalition = Anti-Bush coalition.

A bandwagon I would jump onto, but I wish they'd call it what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)

whats so wrong with bush though? admittedly his environmental attitudes are bad, but would you just leave iraq with saddam in charge after 911? you can understand his position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    whats so wrong with bush though? admittedly his environmental attitudes are bad, but would you just leave iraq with saddam in charge after 911? you can understand his position.
    My main beef is his environmental policies. That is enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    Good point Bigcnee

stop the war coalition= anti-bush coalition

It's makes sense of why the communists, liberals and trade unions are on board. The anti-bush coalition is much more fitting title.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    finally, a reasoned objector. well done to you.

ReputationRep:
    My main beef is his environmental policies. That is enough for me.
    or shall we just call it Kyoto?

ReputationRep:

i agree. whats more disturbing is that, as much as i understand the objection to Bush, i would have never expected to see the american flag being burnt. i think this not only shows a great lack of respect but gives the impression we have as many narrow-minded and self-righteous people, in this country, than we continually criticise the americans for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    You know you're a true blue when you get praise from Vienna.

or shall we just call it Kyoto?
    You can call it "daisy" if you want. Either way, I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Think you need to spend a good deal of time going through Chomsky's work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    indeedy. although arguably the israelis are the aggressors, historically.
    as are Jordan, Egypt, the UN, the British and the Ottoman Empire, who have ruled over the region known as Palestine for as long as is worth considering. did they ever consider an independent and recognised Palestinian state? never. who is the first? Bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    why.

ReputationRep:
    Stop the war coalition just seemed to me like some disorganised knee jerk reaction to Bush and Blair and what is the point of stop the war coalition now anyway? The war is over; shouldn't it be Stop the Occupation?

ReputationRep:
    why.
    May help you acquire a better thought out perspective on IR. What have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    hmm i bet youre a typical lefty lecturer who loves chomsky JS
    personally i wasnt that impressed by his politics... he should stick to linguistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    Stop the war coalition just seemed to me like some disorganised knee jerk reaction to Bush and Blair and what is the point of stop the war coalition now anyway? The war is over; shouldn't it be Stop the Occupation?
    lol true

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.