Turn on thread page Beta

Dissapointed by the Stop the War Coalition watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    Stop the war coalition just seemed to me like some disorganised knee jerk reaction to Bush and Blair and what is the point of stop the war coalition now anyway? The war is over; shouldn't it be Stop the Occupation?
    arguably the war is still ongoing, albeit in a much smaller form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    May help you acquire a better thought out perspective on IR. What have you got to lose?
    by IR i assume you mean Iraq. ive read Chomsky, its one of the first books on any liberals list. i dont agree with him and i dont see what it has to do with my comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    hmm i bet youre a typical lefty lecturer who loves chomsky JS
    personally i wasnt that impressed by his politics... he should stick to linguistics.
    Wouldn't call myself left wing. As for IR, the evidence which Chomsky uses to back up his views is vast. I cannot think of a more reasoned critique of U.S. foreign policy. (Oh and I'm an aspiring lecturer, lol!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    by IR i assume you mean Iraq. ive read Chomsky, its one of the first books on any liberals list. i dont agree with him and i dont see what it has to do with my comment.
    wasn't specifically referring to Iraq, rather to your 'the state cannot do anything wrong' mode of thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Wouldn't call myself left wing. As for IR, the evidence which Chomsky uses to back up his views is vast. I cannot think of a more reasoned critique of U.S. foreign policy. (Oh and I'm an aspiring lecturer, lol!)
    heh ok. i havent actually read any of his books, just some of his lil' pamphlets. what will you be lecturing in?

ReputationRep:
    heh ok. i havent actually read any of his books, just some of his lil' pamphlets. what will you be lecturing in?
    lol, well, if I get onto the Ph.D...Economics, possibly Development Econ.
    You could download some of the lecturers off Kazaa. Chomsky's views aren't particularly extreme, for much of his evidence he quotes senior policy makers. I think his work is more shocking to the Americans, much of what he say's is (probably) well known to a fairly large proportion of British people. Of course that may well be due to people like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    wasn't specifically referring to Iraq, rather to your 'the state cannot do anything wrong' mode of thought.
    which is where?
    and what does that have to do with IR?

ReputationRep:
    which is where?
    and what does that have to do with IR?
    I pointed it out earlier, when I likened it to Hobbes' writings. As for IR, well, much of International Relations involves state acitivity. Therefore to assume a particular state can do no wrong is to take biased perspective on IR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    My main beef is his environmental policies. That is enough for me.
    I don’t understand why everyone is so obsessed with the withdrawal of the states from Kyoto.
    I may be missing something, but it seemed to me that the reasoning behind their withdrawal was fairly justified. You have countries like China who are not bound to any such agreement and their emissions are amongst the highest.
    So why should 'developed countries' such as the states reduce there emissions when countries like China and India are actually increasing their emissions by massive amounts.
    Tell me if I have gotten this wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killingamanda)
    I don’t understand why everyone is so obsessed with the withdrawal of the states from Kyoto.
    I may be missing something, but it seemed to me that the reasoning behind their withdrawal was fairly justified. You have countries like China who are not bound to any such agreement and their emissions are amongst the highest.
    So why should 'developed countries' such as the states reduce there emissions when countries like China and India are actually increasing their emissions by massive amounts.
    Tell me if I have gotten this wrong!
    You've gotten it wrong, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I pointed it out earlier, when I likened it to Hobbes' writings. As for IR, well, much of International Relations involves state acitivity. Therefore to assume a particular state can do no wrong is to take biased perspective on IR.
    its not a case of assuming it can do no wrong. i just dont see the problem in doing 'wrong'. chomsky's 'alternative' look on US post-cold war is certainly not ridiculous, but i keep asking myself, so what?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing this minority of people protesting have correct is that Mr Bush is a complete twit, how he can be President of the most powerful country in the word i do not know.

ReputationRep:
    its not a case of assuming it can do no wrong. i just dont see the problem in doing 'wrong'. chomsky's 'alternative' look on US post-cold war is certainly not ridiculous, but i keep asking myself, so what?

That's rather like saying "I kept asking so what?", when CNN were showing coverage of Sept. 11th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    That's rather like saying "I kept asking so what?", when CNN were showing coverage of Sept. 11th.
    hardly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    You've gotten it wrong, lol
    So if I have gotten it wrong then explain it to me!

ReputationRep:
    hardly..
    just the guns were pointing the other way; and of course either way is tragic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killingamanda)
    So if I have gotten it wrong then explain it to me!
    Sorry, but I didn't catch your argument to be honest. What was it? Are you saying that because country x withdrew, therefore the U.S. had to do likewise, just to 'strike a balance' of some sort? I think most environmentalists would make the point that no country ought to have withdrawn its support. It's just the U.S. gets greater attention from the environmentalists as it's 'contribution' to polluting the world is considerably greater.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Sorry, but I didn't catch your argument to be honest. What was it? Are you saying that because country x withdrew, therefore the U.S. had to do likewise, just to 'strike a balance' of some sort? I think most environmentalists would make the point that no country ought to have withdrawn its support. It's just the U.S. gets greater attention from the environmentalists as it's 'contribution' to polluting the world is considerably greater.
    I think the point was that Kyoto had some allowances for developing countries which were more dependant on fossil fuel energy for their economic and political stability - and no allowances where given to the US.

The "logic" behind the US administration throwing it's toys out of the plan and backing out on it's word.

Makes me think of the adults who get jealous of their child for getting sweets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I think the point was that Kyoto had some allowances for developing countries which were more dependant on fossil fuel energy for their economic and political stability - and no allowances where given to the US.

The "logic" behind the US administration throwing it's toys out of the plan and backing out on it's word.

Makes me think of the adults who get jealous of their child for getting sweets.
    its understandable them wanting to look after their own interests though, even if it is wrong when looking at a broader picture.

ReputationRep:
    its understandable them wanting to look after their own interests though, even if it is wrong when looking at a broader picture.
    entirely, particularly as the econ. was facing a recession

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.